Back to Introduction to XR: VR, AR, and MR Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to XR: VR, AR, and MR Foundations by Unity

4.3

What is XR? It’s shorthand for a related set of new technologies that are changing the way we interact with the world and with each other: Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and Mixed Reality. To understand XR, you need to understand the technologies that enable it. If you understand the available technologies, how they are used, and what their future holds, you’ll be well equipped to deal with XR as it rapidly evolves and converges. In this course, we will present an introduction to XR using a broadly chronological approach, focusing on how all of the underlying technologies came together at key moments in the history of XR to launch the concepts of Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality into the mainstream consciousness. Throughout the course, we’ll give a brief description of each of the supporting technologies, some history about when it first came into use, limitations and future potential for improvement, and how it’s used for AR, VR, and MR. As you learn about the technology, you’ll also develop hands on experience in the field along two tracks. First, you will use Unity to build and run two simple XR applications on your own smartphone: a “VR Museum” app and a handheld Augmented Reality app. Second, you will brainstorm, define, visualize, and iterate your own original concept for an XR application, ending the course with a thorough and peer-reviewed XR Product Brief that you could use as the basis for future development. This is the first of three planned courses in Unity's XR Specialization, which include the Mobile VR App Development with Unity course as well as a future course focused on developing Augmented Reality (AR) applications with Unity....

NP

My Second Coursera course I've ever done and I was very impressed with the platform on which it was presented. My experience was a positive one and I will definitely continue to pursue other courses.

NA
Dec 16, 2018

This course is very impressive; it gets you into loving XR technologies and eager to learn more. It definitely leaves you awed and yearning to learn more.

26 - 39 of 39 Reviews for Introduction to XR: VR, AR, and MR Foundations

Oct 28, 2020

Great course overall. Assignments really need to be updated so that assignment instructions cover everything that's listed in the grading rubric criteria. Also, a couple of the videos related to what you can/can't do in ARKit vs. ARCore are outdated.

Thanks!

By Brian S

Oct 5, 2020

The educational content is great. Perhaps the SDK files could be upgraded as the Unity packages also upgrade, because myself and other students (particularly using Apple products) were experiencing technical issues and did not receive expedient assistance.

By Tuan A D

Oct 13, 2020

It is better if this course gives more detailed knowledge about the tools like vuforia and how to utilize them with other apis...

By Rob B

Feb 17, 2019

Mainly just a review of key industry terms and equipment. Glad there was a lab to create an app as simple as it was...

By Aurelio P M

Apr 28, 2019

Good course to know about the basics of XR technologies and information about the new headsets

By Ali T

Mar 4, 2020

Good introduction to XR technologies, does not contain any development.

By TikAcademy

Oct 10, 2019

Course needs updating, also it's boring material and many quizzes have questions not covered on the lectures or materials.

Also looks like it's been abandonned for a while, I di learn something but it can improve.

Thanks I did get a buit of a in-depth understanding of XR.

By Jeffrey F

Oct 23, 2020

I was late to discovered there's a same course in unity's website for free - I wish this had a different version or more compact information than the free version

By Md. T S

Jun 11, 2020

I was expecting more depth of knowledge regarding XR, i.e. the programming and the graphical part. Nevertheless, I have learnt many things. Thank you.

By Oscar M

Mar 15, 2020

I really enjoyed this course!. A very good way to start your journey into the world of Artificial Reality

By Ahasanul B H

Jan 15, 2019

Pretty basic information, but good course.

By Srijanak D

Jun 30, 2020

Worst course experience of mine in coursera till date. These weren't the skills I was looking for when I started doing this course and the intros didn't speak well of what was really inside it. What were those peer assignments, teaching good blog writing and marketing skills? The lectures didn't cover proper materials required for the quizes, no proper reading material to refer to. I enrolled in two of the remaining courses but I am no longer interested in doing those. Updates are not up to date. This was complete nonsense. I gave 2 ratings because I still got to learn a few things useful, got the initiative to work with unity. That's it.

By Raj V

Jun 21, 2020

getting peer review is hard. People give 0 points for no reason. I worked really hard and got 0 points. work on this please

By Faizan S

Jul 20, 2020

the quizzes are difficult and make no sense smh