Back to Introduction to Reinforcement Learning in Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Reinforcement Learning in Python by Coursera Project Network

3.5

In this project-based course, we will explore Reinforcement Learning in Python. Reinforcement Learning, or RL for short, is different from supervised learning methods in that, rather than being given correct examples by humans, the AI finds the correct answers for itself through a predefined framework of reward signals. In this course, we will discuss theories and concepts that are integral to RL, such as the Multi-Arm Bandit problem and its implications, and how Markov Decision processes can be leveraged to find solutions. Then we will implement code examples in Python of basic Temporal Difference algorithms and Monte Carlo techniques. Finally, we implement an example of Q-learning in Python. I would encourage learners to experiment with the tools and methods discussed in this course. The learner is highly encouraged to experiment beyond the scope of the course. Note: This course works best for learners who are based in the North America region. We’re currently working on providing the same experience in other regions....

1 - 12 of 12 Reviews for Introduction to Reinforcement Learning in Python

By Aaron S

Aug 29, 2020

This course would be a lot better titled "Refresher on Reinforcement Learning Techniques." The instructor seems to simply read sections of a textbook with the assumption that the viewer has the context already in their head. Many times they will reference something that has very little or no explanation. E.g., "gamma is the discount variable to discount a reward". They say this without explaining why gamma is necessary or useful, what a "discount" is or when you need to apply it.

The instruct pastes in code that he previously written and rushes through the explanation, oftentimes jumping to different sections randomly when he remembers he forgot to explain a relevant section. Moreover the "explanations" are brief and doesn't really make a clear connection as to why this code implements the mathematics of the model that he attempted to explain previously. It's clear the the instructor doesn't have a lot of teaching experience.

The Rhyme virtual environment is extremely hard to use, often times when i dock the video it will reset its settings and take up over half my screen and make it impossible to see the entire video and my virtual desktop at the same time - oftentimes I cant even see the whole video.

Using IDLE is a pain, please use a modern IDE like a IPython notebook or VS Code.

By Ashley

Dec 29, 2020

This is a hard-to-follow introduction. The code is often not on screen, you have to pause a lot and go back if you're trying to code along.

By Падалко М А

Dec 2, 2020

Just terrible project, no proper explanations of anything, waste of time and money.

By Jesus M Z F

Aug 25, 2020

Great course

By Charles I N I

Feb 16, 2021

Thorough.

By Gregory S B

Sep 29, 2020

Rhyme is pretty annoying to use because the UI and the UX is not very good in my opinion. It just tell you the model of RL without explaining in detail why we use that variables. But, it gives me insight of what RL models out there that I can explore more in the future, so I guess OK.

By S R D

Jan 6, 2021

Suitable for basic understanding of concepts of Reinforcement Learning. Not much programming experience acquired though

By Hariharan S

Mar 14, 2021

In a limited duration its always hard to cram all the important material. But when discussing important items, its better to display relevant content than silly, distracting memes.

Lots of items were just not explained. More often than not, the instructor says 'of course, we multiply by disocunt_factor', etc, assuming the student is aware of it, without any prior explanation. All of this is fine if this guided project was termed a 'refresher', and basic RL background was listed in pre-requisites. But that wasn't the case.

I did learn little from the course, and importantly realized what all I didn't know. So it did help that way.

The Rhyme tool by Coursera is absolutely pathetic with it automatically closing the workspace (where we can type the code) every few seconds.

By Sean H

Mar 9, 2021

There is no reason to pay for this course when you can access essentially this content in a Medium, towardsdatascience, or other programming website article for free. There is no practical portion of this course. If you like copying code from a video with no opportunity to test your understanding, then this might be your speed, but I would recommend checking out YouTube first.

By Vito M L

Oct 19, 2020

The instructor doesn't seem to properly know the topics he's talking about.

By Shaokang D

Nov 26, 2020

the instructor is not quite understanding the code

By Eitan I

Sep 30, 2020

don't worth the time or the fee