This specialization introduces blockchain, a revolutionary technology that enables peer-to-peer transfer of digital assets without any intermediaries, and is predicted to be just as impactful as the Internet. More specifically, it prepares learners to program on the Ethereum blockchain. The four courses provide learners with (i) an understanding and working knowledge of foundational blockchain concepts, (ii) a skill set for designing and implementing smart contracts, (iii) methods for developing decentralized applications on the blockchain, and (iv) information about the ongoing specific industry-wide blockchain frameworks.
The specialization covers a range of essential topics, from the cryptographic underpinnings of blockchain technology to enabling decentralized applications on a private Ethereum blockchain platform.
It is ideal for programmers and designers involved in developing and implementing blockchain applications, and anyone who is interested in understanding its potential.
A Coursera Specialization is a series of courses that helps you master a skill. To begin, enroll in the Specialization directly, or review its courses and choose the one you'd like to start with. When you subscribe to a course that is part of a Specialization, you’re automatically subscribed to the full Specialization. It’s okay to complete just one course — you can pause your learning or end your subscription at any time. Visit your learner dashboard to track your course enrollments and your progress.
Every Specialization includes a hands-on project. You'll need to successfully finish the project(s) to complete the Specialization and earn your certificate. If the Specialization includes a separate course for the hands-on project, you'll need to finish each of the other courses before you can start it.
When you finish every course and complete the hands-on project, you'll earn a Certificate that you can share with prospective employers and your professional network.
What is the refund policy?
Can I just enroll in a single course?
Yes! To get started, click the course card that interests you and enroll. You can enroll and complete the course to earn a shareable certificate, or you can audit it to view the course materials for free. When you subscribe to a course that is part of a Specialization, you’re automatically subscribed to the full Specialization. Visit your learner dashboard to track your progress.
Is financial aid available?
Can I take the course for free?
Is this course really 100% online? Do I need to attend any classes in person?
This course is completely online, so there’s no need to show up to a classroom in person. You can access your lectures, readings and assignments anytime and anywhere via the web or your mobile device.
Will I earn university credit for completing the Specialization?
This Specialization doesn't carry university credit, but some universities may choose to accept Specialization Certificates for credit. Check with your institution to learn more.
How long does it take to complete the Specialization?
Time to completion can vary based on your schedule, but learners can expect to complete the Specialization in 4 to 6 months.
What background knowledge is necessary?
Do I need to take the courses in a specific order?
It is important that learners take the courses in order, since the concepts and projects are developed based on the previous course, as described below.
· The first course focuses on essential concepts and does not require programming.
· The second course explores the smart contract, gradually building the skills to program smart contracts in Solidity and test them using the Remix IDE. It features a programming project.
· The third course drills deeper into developing end-to-end applications for the blockchain. It features interaction of a blockchain ecosystem with traditional web applications. Learners will develop applications and a project in the Truffle environment.
· The fourth course introduces other blockchain platforms and business applications. Learners will compose a white paper that compares industry blockchain platforms.
What will I be able to do upon completing the Specialization?
On completion of this specialization, a learner will recognize foundational concepts of blockchain, and apply these program concepts on the blockchain, including:
· Algorithms and techniques enabling trust in a decentralized peer-to-peer network
· Transactions, account, block and the structure of a blockchain
· The distributed immutable ledger of transactions
· Smart contracts, a core idea and computational model of blockchain that enables automation, autonomy, scalability and transparency
· The blockchain application stack and orchestrating blockchain Dapp solutions for business use cases
· Ongoing industry-wide blockchain efforts, such as Hyperledger (supply chain) and R3 Corda (financial)
More specifically, on successful completion of the specialization, a learner will able to
· Have an understanding and working knowledge of the emerging blockchain technology
· Design and program smart contracts and decentralized application
· Evaluate the applicability of the blockchain technology to their current business problems
· Think of innovative application models leveraging the blockchain technology
· Contribute to protocol improvement of the blockchain
More questions? Visit the Learner Help Center.