Postgraduate Certificate of Public Health
Imperial College London
The Postgraduate Certificate of Public Health incorporates core components of Imperial’s highly successful on-campus Master of Public Health programme. Both the Postgraduate Certificate and Global Master of Public Health programme have been designed to provide the best possible learning experience and maximise the benefits of studying online. Teaching is delivered through a range of traditional and innovative methods, including live sessions, discussion forums, pre-recorded lectures, and peer-reviewed exercises. Students also have direct access to world-class academic faculty and teaching staff through regular office hours.
Each year, a diverse cohort of students are accepted into the postgraduate programme. You’ll be able to connect with and learn from students of varying personal, professional, and educational backgrounds to prepare for a career where you’ll be supporting the health and wellbeing of a diverse community—all without needing to attend on-campus courses.
In the Postgraduate Certificate programme, you’ll develop core skills and have opportunities to explore various aspects of the public health field to find which area might be most interesting to you. Through the elective Specializations, you’ll have the option to build a qualification that suits your own career goals. Through learning activities and assessments, you’ll be exposed to contemporary public health problems, where you’ll apply your new skills to real-world problems and scenarios. Enjoy access to a wide range of student services and career support resources offered specifically to students in the programme. As part of the assessments on the Postgraduate Certificate, you’ll have the option to graduate with a number of practical outputs that can be used to showcase your proficiency and enhance your CV or resume. Plus, you’ll be able to connect and network with peers and alumni from around the world, and thrive in a dynamic community of mutual support, accountability, and collaboration.
- Statistics for Public Health
Cover four courses in key areas: statistical thinking, linear regression, logistic regression, and survival analysis. In each course, you'll be introduced to key concepts and use a data set as a worked example. In this specialization, the emphasis is on learning through doing and discovery. You won't need any prior knowledge of statistics or R software.
- Epidemiology for Public Health
Explore measures of disease frequency and measures of association, with a particular focus on attributable risk. The main principles of disease detection and screening are considered within the context of high risk and population strategies for prevention. The Specialization also covers the main study designs in epidemiological research.
- Foundations of Public Health Practice
Build a range of core public health knowledge, understanding, and skills. You'll learn about and develop core workplace skills required to become an effective public health professional. The Specialization is shaped into four courses covering the origins of public health, health improvement, behaviour change, and an integrative strand that develops your problem solving and professional skills.
You’ll be able to choose two optional Specializations from the following:
- Global Diseases Masterclass
- Global Health Challenges and Governance
- Health Systems Development
- Global Health Innovations
- Infectious Disease Modelling*
- Quality Improvement in Healthcare
- Participatory Approaches in Public Health
- Digital Health
- Advanced Statistics and Data Science
- Life Course Public Health
- Health Economics
- Health Protection
*Please note that this Specialization will require some prior knowledge and experience with R programming, which can be achieved through completion of Statistics for Public Health.
When you graduate, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate job readiness and affirm your skill set alignment
- Work with real data sets and exercise your knowledge of creating research projects
- Quickly gain professional career benefits while establishing foundations for future career and academic advancement
Try your first course today:
- Statistical Analysis with R for Public Health Specialization
- Epidemiology for Public Health Specialization
- Foundations of Public Health Practice Specialization
- Global Disease Masterclass Specialization
- Global Health Innovations Specialization
- Infectious Disease Modelling Specialization
- Health Systems Development Specialization
- Digital Health Specialization
- Participatory Approaches in Public Health Specialization
- Tobacco Control: Agile Policy, Research and Practice Course
If you would like a certificate of completion, you will need to submit a full payment to Coursera.
The Postgraduate Certificate programme is studied over 12 months.
This online programme is a chance to earn a Postgraduate Certificate from a leading institution, without disrupting your career. Take the same kind of courses found on campus, with the flexibility to learn from a location of your choosing and to fit around your work, home and social life in collaboration with a global network of classmates, instructors, and alumni.
Coursera on Mobile
Access course materials anywhere with the mobile app available on iOS and Android.
- Using the mobile app, learners can:
- Save a week’s worth of reading and video content for offline access with one click
- View text transcripts of lecture videos
- Take notes directly in the app
- Set reminder alerts to help you make progress
Download Coursera's mobile app
Coursera does not grant credit, and does not represent that any institution other than the degree granting institution will recognize the credit or credential awarded by the institution; the decision to grant, accept, or transfer credit is subject to the sole and absolute discretion of an educational institution.