Back to Managing Employee Compensation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Employee Compensation by University of Minnesota

Whether you're writing paychecks or wondering where yours comes from, this course is for you! We begin by asking: "To succeed, what kind of a person does your organization need to attract, retain, and motivate?" From there, we'll explain how to align your organization's objectives, its pay philosophy, and ultimately the way it designs and implements its salary structure, short-term incentives, long-term incentives, and benefits. Interested in learning more about the technical aspects of compensation, but don't know where to begin? We'll give an overview of key the key technical skills: compliance with pay regulations, understanding stock options, shopping for health insurance and pension providers, and designing incentive plans. Lastly, we'll discuss non-monetary methods of motivating employees. Upon completing the course, you should be able to have an understanding of compensation both strategically and technically. Learners will also gain introductory familiarity with pay regulation in the US....

KM
Apr 22, 2019

This is a very useful course for any HR professional who wants to have an overview on Employee Compensation and Benefits. Thanks for detailed and thought- through lectures and the great opportunity.

S
May 7, 2020

Both the professors were amazing! However, I would like to point out that since everyone undertaking this course is from the USA, it's better to skip out on the portion about US Law and compliance.

26 - 50 of 348 Reviews for Managing Employee Compensation

By Lisi L

Jul 3, 2019

I loved Mike Davis classes! I'm sorry but the rest was a bit boring.

By Leonardo A L

Feb 6, 2020

Week three was very hard for me because I'm not american.

By John E H

Jun 29, 2017

Presentation style was not as engaging, and was so repetitive from class to class, video to video. Got tedious by the end. Good information, thorough, and only sometimes too basic. More repetition tha

By Siva A

Apr 17, 2017

not so much live examples full of theories.this has been thought in class it self.

By CARME B G

Feb 13, 2020

I don't like it. The course content is too much theoretical

By Shrey S

Apr 18, 2021

The course was well organized, the concepts were well explained with practical examples. It would be great if you could include examples from different geographies like emerging markets (BRICS) as the dynamics are a bit different due to difference in context. However, the principles are largely the same. Also, the assignment would be more effective if it takes into account that many people across the globe do the course and hence a globally relevant assignment would be more effective than just a US-focused one. Having said that, I really got a gist of compensation and benefits (the hard & soft aspects). I would highly recommend the course to anyone interested in getting a holistic perspective on the subject quickly in a practical manner. Thank you!

By Rumpa N

Dec 8, 2020

Dear Mr. Mike Davis & Mr. Allen Benson

It was great experience in learning the one of the course module Compensation and I thoroughly enjoyed each and every part of the course and will cherish this knowledge forever and I’m grateful to Coursera and University of Minnesota and All the Faculties of Carlson School of Management for bringing such a detailed and comprehensive learning programme on Human Resource Management and this course gave me lot of deep diving into the course and also it gave me more confidence in attempting all the Peer graded projects and Assessment was really useful for me gauge on my knowledge. My heartfelt thanks to entire team once again.

Thanks & Regards

Rumpa Narayanan

By Luis R R

Jul 29, 2020

As a third-year student at the University of Westminster in London, United Kingdom I received a final mark below what I expected at a module of Reward Management, after reflecting on what went wrong I understood my former handicaps were salary structures and compensation schemes, whereas a result I had to include this course on my PDP to improve my skills. I can only be grateful as this was a great opportunity to consolidate all my knowledge in Reward & Compensation management. The course is amazing and the video clips are invaluable!

For someone looking for a career change into Human Resources / Personnel / Human Capital management or even Business Management, this course is essential.

By Mohini D

Aug 23, 2020

This is a very useful course for any HR professional who wants to have an overview on Employee Compensation and Benefits. However, I would like to point out that since everyone undertaking this course is not from the USA, it's better to skip out on the portion about US Law and compliance. I learnt a lot from this course. The content was very good and the videos were very clear and easy to follow. I would like to thank to Prof Alan Benson, Mike Davis and all other supporting staff behind the curtains. Greatly appreciated.

By Md. F H

Mar 2, 2021

This was an excellent opportunity to learn some basics about employee compensation and setting benefits to convey company goals in a nonverbal way. The instructors were very clear about the topics. But one feedback for the peer evaluation is that it should allow people to set compensation based on their own country, region. Not all the participants are from the USA and we have little to no value in knowing it. Other than that, I wish all the future learners the best of luck!

By Dylan P

Jan 4, 2021

The course was very informative and to the point, but one small issue I have with it (along with the other courses) are the assignments that have to be completed. The instructions are not always very specific, and when the time comes mark the assignments of other peers, then the rubric has very strict standards and specific requirements that were not adequately prescribed in the questions.

By Dayna D

May 31, 2021

The delay in me completing this course was totally all on me. I enjoyed every step of this course, although, there were chunks of the information I was receiving I felt like I already knew. It was great to feel validated. There were other instances, where I felt like it was challenging but in a good way. I really appreciate the opportunity.

By Sana I

Nov 10, 2020

It was a wonderful experience. The way instructors demonstrated their knowledge is remarkable. Those who are really passionate about the field of HR this course really helped them to understand the basic concept of compensation and also help them to analyze things in the real world scenario with better perspective.

By Nelly

Jul 27, 2020

The course is an excellent course if you are looking to build your knowledge of compensation and you will really love Module 4 that talks about Non-Monetary rewards. Taking the course will give you an insight into how to strategically build a best-practice compensation system.

By MOSES S M

Sep 20, 2021

V​ery excited to be party of this and I've indeed gained alot in terms of knowledge and reading materials and if given finance and opportunity , I can hesitate to pursue a masters in this course.

V​ery clear videos, well resaearched teachers with vast experience.

T​hank you.

By Sigrid M

Feb 14, 2021

The course is very detailed and gives learners rounded knowledge of material that is easy-to-understand. I have been in HR for 4 plus years, and I have learned more from this course than I have in the four years at my former company. This is awesome !!! Great Job!

By Amit S

Aug 27, 2019

Great Course. Great learning. However, some parts were not relevant especially statutory requirement in USA for a course taker from India. None the less it was a learning and an opportunity to learn about statues in a foriegn country.

By Saikat G

Mar 2, 2020

Very good, detailed 4-week course on Management of Employee Compensation module.

I thoroughly enjoyed the course and gained knowledgable insights into the domain of compensation design and management for employees in an organisation.

By Lynn L

Sep 23, 2019

The course was well organized and a great overview of all of the types of compensation. The course clearly outlined what to consider for comp programs and suggestions on how to implement. The instructors were great!

By Jenebeb A

Oct 23, 2019

The course is definitely helpful. The professors discussed the topics in a detailed manner, and what I like best is that they gave examples for me to fully understand what they're trying to convey to their students.

By Huy P

Nov 16, 2017

Week 3 is all about US context, which I found a little irrelevant since I don't live there.

Week 4 is difficult to understand.

Overall, good contents, I managed to get a lot from this course.

Thank you very much!

By Ruby O C

Mar 9, 2021

It was a very interesting course to take. It allows you to dive deeper in the monetary and non monetary compensation. It provides you with ideas to implement in your organization. I highly recommend it.

By María A R S

Jun 16, 2019

Is a great course, you can accquiere a complete visión of managing compensation and can be a base to improve your knowledge in your job and have and idea to keep learning in other topics related.

By Satwik Y

Aug 6, 2020

I found the course very useful and informative! Huge thank you to both the professors for making it so engaging and very easy to understand! Thank you so much, Coursera! I highly recommend this!

By SUSHMA M

It was indeed a good experience for me to learn this kind new courses... Learnt many things tqs to the coursera......

Thank you so much for bringing such a good certification courses to us...