Back to Indigenous Canada

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Indigenous Canada by University of Alberta

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions....

VK
Feb 23, 2021

Excdellent course! I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to learn the material presented. Thanks you so much! All the work that was evident in putting this course together was worth the effort!

JS
Oct 21, 2020

I really enjoyed the course! So much I didn't know about the history. I also didn't have a true understanding why there is so much discourse between Indigenous people and government. Total eye opener.

1601 - 1625 of 3,742 Reviews for Indigenous Canada

By Carol S

Jan 10, 2021

The lectures were interesting and presenting in a variety of different ways so it kept my interest. Gave me a more informed perspective of what our indigenous population deal with.

By Morgan D

Oct 7, 2020

I loved having both the video and the written notes. The interviews were excellent, and the speakers brought in were very interesting. Thank you! It was an excellent experience.

By Omar S

Oct 1, 2020

An eye opener that ties the History of Modern Canada to the mostly traumatic relationship between the indigenous peoples of Canada and the setllers and its contnued adverse effects

By Melissa G

Sep 1, 2020

Very interesting and eye opening!! Wish my brain could retain all this information. I think every canadian should be aware of this important part of history! Great work, thank you!

By Natalie G

Jul 19, 2020

This program was an eye-opener for me and my colleagues. I enjoyed and learned so much from each module and appreciate all of the work that went into creating this program. Hiy Hiy

By Maureen

Jan 3, 2021

A wonderful and fascinating experience. Just want to learn more of such a beautiful strong knowledgeable stories and the culture and traditions of our sacred Indigenous peoples.

By Amy K

Dec 2, 2020

This has been an incredible opportunity to learn about Canada's history that is erased from the the history taught in schools. It has been a privilege to engage with this content.

By Chantal C

Nov 20, 2020

This was a fantastic course. I learned more about indegenous cultures and history than I ever did in school. I appreciate all the hard work that was put into creating this course.

By Raymond D M

Nov 13, 2020

The course was a real eye-opener I now have a much wider appreciation of the Indigenous peoples' issues in Canada - by association other counties like Australia and USA. Thanks.

By Cindy B

Nov 10, 2020

Excellent course!! Content was very educational! The hosts and quest speakers were presented extremely well and kept you interested, and looking for more information! Great work!!

By Skye H

Nov 8, 2020

Great course with lots of variying lessons and materials. I loved learning the real history of Canada, not the sanitized version I was sold in public school growing up, thank you!

By Matthew W

Nov 6, 2020

For anyone in Canada or the United States, this is the history you very likely have never known. Take this course with an open mind and expand your worldview. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

By Randall B

Oct 30, 2020

Great course! As an indigenous individual I thought I knew quite a bit about my own history and the history of other nations but I was shown so much more in this course.

Thank You!

By Paulette B

Oct 29, 2020

Very well presented. Thorough without going overboard. Touched on the many past and current issues. Opened my eyes to the hidden agenda behind colonisation. Kudos to everyone.

By P M

Oct 29, 2020

This course is amazing. I wish all Canadians took it and learned about our history. I cannot thank the University of Alberta Native Studies program enough for this. Life changing!

By Tara L Y

Oct 23, 2020

You bless us with this course. I had no idea all that was going on in north Turtle Island. I learned much about people, law, interpretation and perseverance. Thank you so much.

By Anna R

Oct 17, 2020

Best online course that Ive taken so far. Now feel very informed to enter into the conversations with current issues ie lobster trapping in NS, marginalized victims in Healthcare

By Dee D

Sep 27, 2020

I learned so much and am very glad that I took this course. I recommend it to all who are interested in understanding history in Canada in ways that we were not taught in school.

By Kate k

Aug 24, 2020

Loved the course and learning more about the actual history of Canada and the Indigenous peoples who were here before us. I look forward to doing my own learning and learning more

By Mandy A

Aug 21, 2018

Absolutely fantastic. I think each and every settler Canadian should take this course, and anyone else who is at all curious about Canada's history from a non colonial world view.

By Kevin R

Dec 31, 2020

Exceptionally well presented, the course material updated and increased my knowledge of First Nations People and their ongoing systemic challenges in a settler state. - Thank You

By Lori B

Nov 29, 2020

This is a wonderful course. All Canadians should take it. So much for us to learn. I feel my understanding of indigenous issues is much better than before this course. Thank you!

By Gregory D

Oct 28, 2020

Really great course! I would highly recommend this to any Canadian or person interested in Indigenous history and culture. Amazing work by all the of presenters and interviewees.

By Sylvia M

Sep 28, 2020

Fantastic course! A lot material to cover, I would like like more interactive activities rather than just optional discussion. I enjoyed the videos and the notes taking ability.

By Nicole G

Sep 8, 2020

I loved understanding Indigenous history away from the colonial gaze. There were so many things I was unaware of; we need to be teaching REAL Indigenous history in public schools