Back to Indigenous Canada

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Indigenous Canada by University of Alberta

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions....

AC

Feb 24, 2020

Very informative. They teach history and mention the aboriginal journey, but this tells another story. Thank you for allowing me an opportunity to glimpse into to the world of an aboriginal of Canada.

DN

Aug 31, 2020

This is a great survey course about Indigenous Canada. As a participant, I have learned and unlearned so much about Indigenous Canadians, and more important, this course has inspired me to learn more.

201 - 225 of 1,701 Reviews for Indigenous Canada

By Andrew B

Aug 06, 2020

This course was fantastic. There were a few glitches here and there, but they were merely technical. As someone who should know more, but knew almost nothing about the history of the country where I was born and the peoples who it belongs to, I now have an entire notebook of notes. I think that this course provided an extremely in-depth overview and I cannot wait to dive deeper into these histories and complex societies. I even picked up The Indigenous Peoples of Canada Atlas collection for further reading.

By Jazmyn-Rae D

Aug 05, 2020

I was raised on community and attended school in a small town just outside. I went to a French Immersion school until grade 10, until my parents let me make the decision on whether or not I will complete highschool with French under my belt. After this course, it helped me better understand my culture and what my ancestors have done to ensure I gave the tools I need to continue our battles for our rights. This course was taught at a great paste and offered great learning tools, I highly suggest enrolling.

By Maureen E S

Oct 22, 2020

I live in Scotland (UK). After watching my hero Dan Levy talk about this course i decided to undertake it. During the course I have cried with the pain of the past and the mistreatment to Indigenous people. I have also learned and appreciated throughout my journey. I highly recommend this wonderful and interesting course. I have found the lecturers, videos and reading fantastic. Clear and easy to follow. I personally think everyone should undertake this course. Thank you again. Love Maureen

By Linda O

Oct 03, 2020

Thank you for making such a valuable resource available online and free! This added so much to my knowledge of Indigenous culture, history and contemporary issues. The topics were rich and diverse with enough depth to understand historical and contemporary perspectives of Indigenous peoples. The interactive tools, community interviews and use of art really added a lot of value. I am grateful to University of Alberta for leading the way and I hope all Canadians get to take advantage of this resource.

By Matt A

Sep 20, 2020

It is the best massive open online course I've ever taken. I'm blown by how the instructors/developers managed to put together a self-paced course with an enormous amount of information and yet kept the course interesting. It is a lot, but each module is a fascinating and eye-opening learning experience. I'm grateful that I get to go through this course and look at Canadian history through Indigenous' lenses. This is a fantastic course. It's a must for history fanatics and everyone else in Canada.

By Lafferty

Sep 05, 2020

I would consider this course to be essential to learning and gaining an understanding of Canadian history for every Canadian. I am 69 years old and have adult children both of whom have native studies degrees and education degrees from the u of a, and have invested their careers into bettering the condition of indigenous people and It is a privilege for me to be able to take courses that will allow me to better understand and appreciate what they do, so thank you for this incredible opportunity.

By Kailey D

Sep 12, 2020

Amazing. As a Metis person living in Canada there was a lot of things I did not know or understand how they came to be, it was amazing to be able to learn and relearn many things and put puzzle pieces together for my own experiences and families experiences. I am very grateful for this course and have recommended it to many friends and family. I leave this course with a greater understanding of the indigenous world around me and again, I feel extremely thankful that a course like this exists.

By Bonnie H

Aug 30, 2020

I got so much out of this course and learned so much that was never included in the school curriculum.

It would be a great thing if everyone would take this course, so that we could all be a little better educated on the indigenous in Canada. I feel it would help people to have compassion and empathy and understanding for all they have been through and all they are still going through. We need to all work together to make this country work to be mutually beneficial for everyone, not just some.

By Sahara Z F

Jul 22, 2020

It is a very interesting course. Learning about history has always been something that has interested me and this course was a very good resource in learning more about Indigenous people from Canada. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in history regardless of where you are from. Knowing and recognizing colonization and its impacts not only helps us better understand the modern civilizations in America but it also helps us make sure we won't let anything like this happen again.

By Daniela M M

Sep 21, 2020

I really loved this course. It not only helped me unlearn so many more things about Indigenous history and colonialism, but it also taught me so much more about the colonial history of Canada and Indigenous peoples! So I am very grateful to Dr. Tracy Bear for creating this course, because it will help me in my future work with Indigenous communities and with my hopes to work in language revitalization. It was a truly marvellous course, and I hope many more Canadians choose to learn from it.

By Leanne S

Oct 15, 2020

I am told my father was a survivor of the residential school system. A Cree man from Northern Manitoba. I lost my father a few short weeks after I turned 14 when curiosity of my cultural roots was just beginning to take form. I am taking a journey of education, familiarization and connection to my Indigenous culture and this course has enlightened me, educated me and sparked an intense want to learn more and become connected to not only my culture but my father. For that, I am grateful.

By Hugh W

Jul 21, 2020

This was my first online course offered via coursera. I found the course on Indigenous Canada very enlightening, comprehensive, and honest. It was a nice mixture of facts, expert interviews, and relevant artwork. The course notes were very helpful to follow along as I watched the videos from the instructors. The module quizzes were a fairly stress free way to test your understanding. Thanks to the instructors for taking the time to put together such an important course for all Canadians!

By Christina F

Sep 16, 2020

This is the Indigenous History that our Canadian schools should have taught us. I greatly appreciated hearing the Indigenous perspectives on the many historical events that shaped this country. I also enjoyed how the course dove into the current movements, concerns and issues that Indigenous people are still facing. I think many minds would be changed after completing this course with an open mind. I am also proud that this course was offered by my Alma Mater, University of Alberta.

By William M G

Oct 20, 2020

In my own quest to follow the Red Road This will add another chapter of knowledge to my many chapters I have learned. This program is very easy for me to understand as an elder. It was also very complex because the answers had to be searched for, this allowed me to learn that skill. I am proud to be a student of your program. and am honored to be taught by the best I now know. If you have any more Indigenous study courses in the future please contact me

Chi Meegwiitch Much love

By Sarah C

Sep 09, 2020

By far the best overview of Canadian history from an indigenous perspective that I have ever had. I wish I’d been exposed to this sooner! I will say the structure of some quiz questions was weird (grammatically I mean), but the course provides 3 attempts for each quiz so that more than made up for the occasional mistake due to misinterpretation of the strangely worded quiz question and/or answer selection. I will be recommending this course to all my friends and family!

By Marnie R

Aug 16, 2020

I learned a lot about the history of the various Indigenous groups across Canada including social, cultural, political and historical challenges, perseverance, and accomplishments. The modules were very well organized and presented in a manner that made it interesting to read and listen to each week. I was very happy with the teachings of this course and will use my newly gained knowledge to be better in my daily life and work life when engaging with Indigenous Peoples.

By Laura B

Aug 10, 2020

Very informative and an eye opener for those, like myself, wanting to know more about the Indigenous history that our School System does not include in the history of Canada during my HS years. Loved how you can either watch the lesson and listen, or scroll down and read along while the video is minimized still in view. After certain lessons, I wanted to get a hold of the Bill of Rights and read everything that involves the Treaties, I know there's so much more to know!

By Kate C

Aug 30, 2020

I was ashamed to say I knew little about Canada's Indigenous people despite emigrating here a couple of decades ago. This informative and thought-provoking course allowed me the opportunity to expand my knowledge and better understand the effects colonialism had on Canada's Indigenous people. It opened my eyes to a different perspective and view Canada through a different lens. Much appreciation to Coursera and the Faculty of Native Studies at University of Alberta.

By Jana C

Apr 10, 2019

Indigenous Canada is an OUTSTANDING course. The lectures were presented in an engaging and professional manner and I appreciated the thought-provoking interviews throughout, as well as the art depiction/description at the end of each module.

This course left me with many emotions, which in turn, has placed within me the desire to delve deeper into the histories and stories of Indigenous people.

Thank you, I am grateful for the opportunity to have taken this course.

By Jeannette L

Aug 17, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the information provided in this course. I also appreciated and enjoyed the three lecturers who came across as sincere and unpretentious. I especially liked how artwork was incorporated into the material. Some of the quiz questions were poorly worded though, causing unnecessary confusion. Based on how the material is presented, the questions did not always make sense, and sometimes two answers were clearly correct, although only one was accepted.

By Catherine J

Jul 29, 2020

Miigwech! Thank you for this course. As someone of white settler ancestry, who was educated in rural Ontario several decades ago, I was painfully aware that I was missing a great deal of Indigenous history. It was refreshing to hear some of the same histories I was taught from an Indigenous perspective. As an educator, I appreciate the depth and detail offered in this introductory course, and will recommend it to others. -- Dr. Catherine Jenkins , Ryerson University

By Francois C

Excellent series of lectures given in the Indigenous oral tradition. Very eye opening for a Canadian whose knowledge of Indigenous people had primarily come from a few pages of a high school history book. The course only touched on many important and current issues which I am now in a better position to appreciate, and will follow with great interest. I offer my sincerest thanks to the lecturers, and to the University of Alberta for making this course available.

By Drew w

Oct 05, 2020

This course has challenged me so much. It has built on my personal experience from my visit to the First Nations University of Canada in Regina in 2019, and spending time with some of the cast from Treaty 4, through to attending a conference in Swift Current Know Your Neighbour, I have been moved by my ignorance and wanted to learn more, thank you this is been very insightful. I wish to learn more and one day come and visit your university and faculty from the UK.

By Sean M

Jul 16, 2019

I would recommend Indigenous Canada to anyone with an interest in acquiring knowledge about Aboriginal/non-Aboriginal relationships and how our collective history shapes our relationships today.

The course is a worthwhile investment of time for those who are interested in seeing matters from an indigenous perspective. It was certainly helpful for me and brought me to a new level of understanding of the complex history of indigenous people and the nation of Canada.