Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM

Sep 23, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

MV

Dec 01, 2016

As a design manager I should say this course actually opened my eyes to a new world. I hope be able to make good changes in my world by using this knowledge more and more in my life. Thanks to All :)

126 - 150 of 1,266 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Kevin H

Apr 12, 2017

I have been looking for a Design Thinking course for quite a while and I have taken some other courses already. This course if what I was looking for, as it provides high quality content with created by experts in the field that is usable right away!

By Matthias G

Nov 24, 2016

The course content and material was very well put together and enabled a well paced learning within the provided duration. However I'd suggest that the assignment gets some more information early on as if it is left too late the time may be limited.

By Marco B

Jan 23, 2020

I found this course very useful since it demystified the word design as something only for specialists. I've learned that this innovation approach is for everybody, it is consistent and it is effective in business. Thanks a lot Professor Liedtka.

By Alejandra O

Jul 19, 2016

Me gusto mucho el curso ya que ademas de la parte teórica, se enriquece el contenido con casos de éxito, testimoniales de expertos y otros recursos que le dan dinámica al curso. Los facilitadores hacen una buena labor cumpliendo las expectativas.

By Su S M

Oct 25, 2016

I learn so much and how the video lectures are presented really break it down very easy to understand. I find the information very useful to my own entrepreneurship and design thinking processes. I feel ready to try out some of these steps soon.

By Carlton Y

May 25, 2017

The content kept my attention! It's important to take good notes and revisit some of the course material for your own self-growth and knowledge. I completed early and was very fulfilled with the subject mater. I would definitely recommend this!

By Luis G O R

Aug 24, 2019

Excellent course. It gave me the tools to better understand techniques and tools to address every day problems on a work environment. Congratulations to all the professors and teachers who gave their time to put together this course.

Thank you!

By Alina M

Feb 29, 2020

Nice high level overview of what is design thinking and what are some tools and strategies that can be used when trying to use innovation to solve a problem. Great stories and examples by the lecturers. Course was simple and easy to complete.

By Shivaji S

Apr 07, 2020

This is a very good course for people who want to start off on design thinking, Jean taught the concepts and techniques very well. The examples provided in the course really shows the value that design thinking can bring to an organization.

By Darshan S S

Jan 19, 2020

I felt in love of COURSERA courses ! Very lean information that i learned from this course. It will be really helpful to implement learning from this course into regular project activities. I'm damn sure it will help me to get best results.

By Jorge A B G

Mar 17, 2018

It was a very nice and interesting experience, and a proper beginning for me to study Design Thinking. I agree with the students who want another version of this course, with more advanced concepts and applications.

Thanks a lot! I enjoyed.

By Anah V

Jul 22, 2017

This is a great course! I'm two weeks down and am already able to apply what I've learnt. The course breaks down complicated topics to easily process able bits and pieces. Jeanne is a great teacher and has good clarity in explaining things.

By Luis D R

Dec 11, 2017

Through simple insights, real life examples and great visualization tools, this course offers in a few weeks enough material to change your perspective about alternative ways to tackle big and small scale problems. I'd recommend to anyone.

By Karen W

Apr 07, 2020

Very thought provoking and stimulating presentations. All lectures felt more like conversations rather than lectures. This made learning more enjoyable. Overall course added greatly to new experiences in design work in my new position.

By Martin K M

Feb 12, 2019

Design Thinking for Innovation is one challenging course but when you get to understand it it is one course that gets you thinking on your own accord. I myself had been stuck in analysis paralysis until Coursera gave me this opportunity.

By Bryan A L J

Sep 21, 2019

el curso es super interesante, son vídeos cortos y se te pasa super rápido el tiempo mirándolos ademas que la estructura de coursera te hace sentir como que vas subiendo de nivel completando objetivos y te animas a seguirle, me gusta :)

By Dovie M C

May 09, 2018

This is a great course and I learned a lot from it. However lectures are already outdated. My suggestion for the University of Virginia is to update their lectures for I saw in one of the clips that the lectures are dated way back 2010.

By Mateo S

May 02, 2020

Excellent course giving a thorough overview of design thinking and how it applies to complex problems. Engaging and well paced modules that go over the different stages of design thinking and some of the key tools to make it practical.

By Vineeth K

Feb 25, 2019

Learnt a lot about Design Thinking! The practical assignment in the 5th week helped me reinforce the material I learnt in the course. Thank you University of Virginia and Coursera for giving me an opportunity to learn Design Thinking!

By Felipe M

Aug 28, 2019

Great course. It really helped me understand the importance of design thinking and how it can be applied to avoid rework and achieve great results with team collaboration. Thanks a lot Coursera and University of Virginia for this.

By Srinath G

Sep 17, 2016

A very well laid out structured learning program. Course pace & content is great & triggers enough thinking during the course assignment. I recommend the course to all those who want to bring in structure to thinking & innovation

By Ariestelo A

May 06, 2020

Interesting topics as it let me learn actual experiences from cases of IBM, and Good Kitchen as well as the visual diagram of George and Geoff. The course itself stood to its true purpose of design thinking. Highly recommended!

By AVNISH P G

Sep 21, 2017

I think it was a very informative course with a lots of real time examples to take inspirations from.

I strongly recommend this course to all organizations, so that they can come up with innovative solutions for their customers.

By Naven G

Oct 08, 2016

Excellent pragmatic take on Design Thinking - a fairly complex subject that was made as easy to understand. Really enjoyed Prof Liedtka - am ready for a more advanced course on this very interesting subject - thank you so much

By Jean C M d S

Jan 27, 2020

Apesar de ser introdutório, o curso é rico em detalhes, em cases de exemplo. Um ponto importante sobre o Design Thinking é que ele não é oposto à abordagem de negócios tradicional, muito pelo contrário, ambos se complementam.