Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD
Mar 25, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

AM
Feb 27, 2021

It is a great course! teachers explain everything with care. While providing lectures there are some popup ques that verify whether you understood that lecture or not. Overall, a great experience.

76 - 100 of 431 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Anup K K

Apr 27, 2020

Just the last Bonus Track problem please give some hints how to approach and solve the problem

By Radmilo M

Apr 6, 2020

The course is perfect for those which want to learn math on deeper level in computer science.

By Dr R L

Apr 22, 2020

Good content but little problem phase in python programming

By Feyaz B

May 8, 2020

Covered all the basics, I learnt a lot from this!

By Sowat H R

Apr 27, 2020

Highly recommended for beginners.

By SANKALP J

May 6, 2020

Good and Nice way of learning

By Nick E

Apr 22, 2020

Really enjoyed it. Thanks!

By Devang K

Jun 4, 2020

Awesome and Interactive!

By Shyam M

May 5, 2020

I just loved the course.

By Ujjwal K

Apr 25, 2020

thanks

By Ridesh R

Jul 10, 2020

The Course is Good overall but the entire lectures in Week 6 is not clear to me . Alexander sir done a great job in Week 1 and 2 but not that great in Week 6. Even though I re-watched the lectures again, I can't able to get full information given in the videos......I struggled so much in Quiz questions of Week 6...

By Farid H

Dec 22, 2018

The last one was a little bit hard, still couldn't write the code for the 15 puzzle game. Did it just by intuitive trial error

By Timothy L

Mar 21, 2018

Broken English and an inflated $79 to take practice tests, but the professor is knowledgeable and makes proofs fun.

By Gaurav M

Jul 8, 2020

Week 6 could have been improved, apart from that excellent!!

By Amritya V D

Feb 12, 2019

very very fun way to understand simple things

By Sebastian M

Mar 29, 2020

I definitely learned a thing or two about types of proofs, but this class could have been constructed much better. The biggest flaw was that even after going through the entire course, the professors only rarely connected the material to computer science, despite the course being called "Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science". I appreciate their approach of "solve puzzle" -> "learn about relevant proof to be able more efficiently solve similar puzzles" but the course would be better if they tied each concept into computer science / algorithms etc at the end of each section. Beyond that, there are some general course construction issues. The professors often make mistakes in the videos, but rather than actually fix the videos, they just put a comment screen over the video pointing out the error. Speaking of the comment screens, they often ask questions relevant to the lecture, but they cover the whole screen and you can't actually see the content they are asking about, so you have to skip the question, go back, and then let the comment screen appear again before you can reasonably attempt to answer the question; this is an annoying process. To improve this, the content needed to answer each question should be shown within the comment screen itself.

By Daniel S

Jan 19, 2019

Some of the explanations of concepts was just not clear and there were many verbal errors and some really odd editing in many of the videos. Overall the quality of this course is so so.

By M. A

Jul 17, 2020

In order to complete this class, you need experience in programming and problem solving using a programming language.

By Evgeny B

Jun 24, 2020

I will try to be objective here. I really liked the puzzles. They are very well implemented and help with understanding of the material. But this is the only thing I liked about the course. These puzzles really make up for the poor quality of the professors. Michael Levin and Alexander Shen possess an amazing quality to make even 2 minute videos simply unbearable. If you want to experience a real Soviet school style, you should definitely try try this course. Both explanations and assignments are very poorly formulated. The professors simply show you the slides and read the text from it. This is by far the worst course I took on Coursera.

By Richard K

Apr 5, 2021

Overall I found the quality of the course quite poor. The course is offered by "University of San Diego", however all of the lecturers are Russian, which is a bit confusing. I don't mind the fact that they're Russian, however the content of the course (lectures/quizzes/puzzles) is full of (English) mistakes, and quite a few questions/answers have been worded in such a way that they don't really make sense. This course clearly hasn't been reviewed by a copywriter.

By PRABAL M

Jul 2, 2020

The last two week lectures were very confusing.

By Andrew M

Dec 28, 2020

Do not be deceived by the "Beginner" status tag associated with this course. It very much expects you to be familiar with the subject matter, as certain logical steps are left out (whether purposefully or not), only to show up during the graded quiz at the end of the week. This leads to scouring the web for greater clarification and better examples of the subject being covered, completely defeating the purpose of paying money to have said information provided to the student.

The lectures are bad and boring, which is a shame considering how engaging and intriguing this subject can be. Omission of certain subject material that then shows up on the quiz results in randomly selecting an answer, checking if it is incorrect, then retaking the quiz in a cycle of "process of elimination", until a passing grade is achieved. I did this:

1.) To see if the explanations after getting the question correct (why a more robust explanation is provided after getting the question right as opposed to wrong, I'll never understand) provided any insights. They did not. They were as vague and confusing as the videos they were supposedly based off of.

2.) Just to move on with the curriculum. It gets tiring looking at the same explanations and videos over and over, only to have nothing "click" in your head.

I'm on the third week of this course (Recursion & Induction), and I'm surprised I've made it this far. I have since canceled my subscription, and have opted for a more exhaustive medium (https://smile.amazon.com/Introductory-Discrete-Mathematics-Computer-Science/dp/0486691152/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3O9JR43XF4VF0&dchild=1&keywords=introduction+to+discrete+mathematics&qid=1609175879&sprefix=introduction+to+discrete%2Caps%2C475&sr=8-1) to help me on my journey to understand this subject.

Save yourself the time, energy, and money. Look elsewhere for a more "Beginner-friendly" format.