Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW

Feb 02, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

101 - 125 of 307 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Mohamed A H

Jun 26, 2020

This course will improve your problem solving skills and gives you a rigorous explanation in how to counter various mathematical problems in the real life. You will think like a mathematician.

By JEYA S K R

Jun 15, 2020

Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science course is very interesting to solve the puzzles and to think solutions in more than one way, This was surely enthusiastic :-)

By Dian Y T S S

Jul 22, 2020

I love this course because it's make math not so boring, every puzzle is very challenging, hope sometime in the future I can meet with all the lecturer in this course.

By Vasiliy I

Excellent course, I especially liked the manner of presentation by Alexander Shen, where before voicing the solution or proof, you are invited to get to it by yourself

By Gunjan B

Jun 06, 2020

Amazing experience. This course has interactive puzzles and then theoretical explanation about the mathematics used in solving computer science problems.

By Jherson A M C

It's a very dynamic course, fun and easy to understand. Teaches you the essentials of mathematical thinking, and works perfectly as an introduction.

By Matam V

May 15, 2020

One of the BEST courses to take up when you are bored!

Helps your way of thinking a lot! Though I personally feel a few bugs need to be fixed.

By YANSKY

May 22, 2020

Great course! All of the lesson are delivered clearly. The exercise was also relevant and very useful for understanding the material.

By Alagappan S

Jun 10, 2020

Would be better if we could get a hold of the python algorithm to solve the 15 puzzle. Couldn't learn/solve that by the end

By Mohit D

Jul 06, 2020

This was a very well taught course with an interesting curriculum. Note: Previous python experience is recommended

By Sanjesh C

Jun 30, 2020

This course is really engaging and fun. I really enjoyed it. Anyone who loves puzzles must check the out.

By Mihir N

Jul 11, 2020

All the 4 instructors were just amazing! Excellent Course. I loved the way Shen Sir explains the most.

By Ketan A

Jul 16, 2020

an extremely well taught course. the use of real illustrations of algorithms helps tremendously!

By Anton I

Jun 07, 2020

I really enjoyed the course, although it was sometimes challenging. Feels like back to the uni.

By Priya K

Enjoyed this course. Thank you for all the interactive problem solving examples.. it was fun.

By Supakorn S

Jun 26, 2020

This course is great for anyone who are new to mathematics or want to revise ones' skill.

By Margi V

Jul 09, 2020

The use of interactive puzzle was really helpful and the course was pretty interesting.

By Hamza K

Jul 11, 2020

Amazing. This is very good. Tons of exercises and challenges to get your brain going.

By Daniyar Z

Sep 15, 2018

Nice course! I want to say thanks to teachers. Course was informative and new for me!

By Sandesh C

Jul 19, 2018

Excellent concepts! Had fun and was challenged decently throughout the whole course.

By Matthew M

Dec 27, 2017

This is an excellent introduction for anybody needing a foundation for higher math

By Rex K

Jun 18, 2018

I really like the appearance of the professor. He looks like my dad, seriously.

By Ghulam M

Jun 18, 2020

From the course I learnt a lot. The way tutors were teaching that was fabulos.

By Pazhamalai M

May 11, 2019

Super good teaching + awesome tools for practicing = Great learning experience

By Tuan N

The puzzles are fun, the instructors are good but the assignments quite easy.