Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG
Jan 19, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

BD
Jan 19, 2021

The course was really amazing which provided deep knowledge from basic to advance that how algorithms works and how to design algorithms. Thanks to all the expert teachers who taught in this course.

51 - 75 of 2,224 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Mohammed R

Jul 12, 2019

The specialty of this course is the order in which they present the manner . It is very helpful especially if you are just starting to get a hang out of it

By amar s

Jun 27, 2019

Learned lot of thing about Algorithms,Programming And Lot More To Learn,and It's great to

Watch Videos,

complete assignment and quiz.

By BVPKY_Official

Jun 27, 2019

I have learned how to do stress test of two different logic, that helped me a lot while choosing the best algorithm.

By Rishi B

Jul 10, 2019

Great learning. Now I am a tad bit more confident about my algorithm skills. Need to practice more though.

By Luis G A A

Jun 1, 2019

Excelente curso, mientras lo realizaba recordé algunas técnicas para hacer algoritmos eficientes

By CHI C

Mar 15, 2019

Grader system is really nice to use; it helps to improve my debugging ability a lot. Good job!

By Vladimir N

Jun 12, 2019

Very good course to get into algorithmic thinking, design and algorithmic problem solving.

By Alyson L V

Nov 3, 2018

To much talk about how to calcule the Big(O) and no enough explaining about the content

By Debashis G

Sep 15, 2016

If one has taken the Algorithms 1 and 2 course by Profs. Sedgewick and Wayne, this course will be a disappointment and waste of time.

By Abhijit H J

Nov 23, 2019

The content taught is the lecture is not sufficient to pass the practical assignments.

I request you to use a dark background on slides.

The working of the pseudocode is not clearly explained with examples. I find difficulty in understanding the working of the pseudocode on examples.

By Steven G H

Dec 5, 2017

This course is undoubtedly valuable. I definitely learned some skills that I am glad to have had real practice in. That said, you really have to do the majority of the work yourself. I have the CLRS book, the Dasgupta, and have watched a host of supplemental videos on YouTube, MIT OCW. This course is not an "all-in-one" solution. It's sorta like a high-level guide and tough challenges and a grader. The videos are decent, but by Mithras' eyelash they can be incredibly boring. Furthermore they don't take advantage of the video medium properly. The visual aids are really sub-par.

Also, be ready to repeat the course. I signed up in the late-summer and it took me all Fall. While I certainly was busy, the lack of support, the digging I had to do, the note-taking I had to do, the processing I had to do on my own all added a lot of work. I'm curious as to whether I've gotten better at "taking Coursera Classes" and will have better luck next class. I'm pessimistic.

By Shan-Jyun W

Sep 27, 2016

Bad teaching quality.

By Shiv W

Oct 30, 2018

This Course is really very helpful in understanding the basic algorithms and various efficient problem solving technique. Week assignments are very good and helped me evolve my skills in implementing solutions and to consider every possible kind of instances for a problem. I loved the lectures and the way professors explain things and touch every aspect of the topic. I enjoyed this course very much and have learnt much more than what I thought I required. I am really very thankful and grateful to the professors and the Coursera. Thank You Very Very much. :)

By Shreyansh K

Aug 2, 2017

I always feared coding problems on divide and conquer and dynamic programming. The way this course gradually took me from easy stuffs to advanced was awesome. After doing the course, I feel confident on coding difficult problems. I also appreciate the granularity of topic that this course covers. I took many courses but nowhere until now, I have seen courses that cover how to test and debug your code. Great Course and much take course in case one wants to get good at competitive programming. Good Job teachers. Your efforts are appreciated.

By Nandan K

Oct 10, 2017

Really nice course that get's you started to the world of algorithms. It has a balanced progression and introduction to basic concepts, but highly recommend to do all the optional assignments since they help absorb all the presented material to the fullest extent. But to solidify the knowledge gained, I would recommend to solve more problems on the introduced concepts since I feel this course falls short in number of diverse problem statements to be able to think on how to apply the concepts in different scenarios.

By Eugeni A

Nov 29, 2018

I recommand for everybody. Teachers explain all from the basic level, and you shouldn't be afraid, you will understand all algorithms from this course. I like this course and this specialization very much

Для русского язычного населения тоже очень рекомендую, английский базового уровня, преподаватели с хорошим произношением, просто огонь. Сам курс вам тоже очень понравится. Очень нравится, что сначала дают теорию, а потом сразу к этой теории задачи, чтобы вы всё смогли отработать

Thanks for this course

By Boris T

Jan 4, 2018

Great course with the thoroughly prepared exercices and detailed video explanations for each topic. Covers a wide range of fundamental alogorithmic technicues that are good to learn for everyone who wants to become a better software engeener or just to improve programming skills. The course passing grade is pretty soft. It is enough to attentively watch the video lectures and carefully implement algorithms covered there to pass the course, however some advanced problems are really challenging.

By Fil G

Oct 20, 2018

A very thorough introduction to the core concepts of Algorithm design, including sorting, binary search, greedy algorithms and dynamic programming. The assignment are tough with the last few definitely challenging, you will spend quite a bit of time implementing them if you are new to programming in general but there is enough help on the site (and the internet) to help you figure things out. Working through the problems is essential to getting the most out of the course.

By Tushar K

Jul 5, 2018

This is a really well planned course. I was doing this course and auditing my on-campus course too, initially. But, I soon realised that this is what I need. It has a perfect balance of mathematical rigour and practical programming. The programming challenges sometimes felt tough, but since ample time is given to solve, I could make it in the end. Thanks to the instructors for teaching students across the globe. Knowledge is a debt that can never be repaid! Thanks

By Lee Z Y

Aug 26, 2017

I think this is the best algorithms course I've taken so far. It wasn't too hard, but if you wanted some challenge there's always the advanced problems. Speaking of the problems, I highly recommend that you solve all the programming assignments, including the advanced questions. Even if you can't solve it on your own, search up how to do it; just don't give up. Passing is easy, but to get the most of the course you need to finish all the programming assignments.

By Joe M

Aug 24, 2018

There is barely any support for this course. On most assignments, if your code doesn't work, you get zero direction in regards to having any clue on how to proceed.

By Ashraf K

Sep 7, 2016

the material are great so much information and it is the first from the hole specialization

but! the explanation is so weak doesn't match at all with this big data

the pseudocode is so distracting and hard to read

i always get lost and i don't know is it an array in the code or variable and what does he want to do with it

the pseudocode should be just a normal english code saying what to do

not an understandable signs :\

i am really sad that i couldn't get benefits from this amount of knowledge

By Federico C

Mar 9, 2021

There is no way of understanding content without checking other sources, the explanations are poor.

By Eugene K

Jan 10, 2020

one of the worse learning experiences.

they might be good at their field and most probably they are, but because they don't know how to teach the output is close to zero.

every piece of this course is bad.

presentation are either blank reading the slides with Zuckerberg face or some overly emotional recycling from Daniel M Kane, man is stresing every following sentence, it is impossible to follow.

Content is classics of former USSR educational style: dry, high context, with some small explanation moments in more easy parts and sometimes completely skipping complex parts. leaving huge parts of material to external sources or complimentary book.

Quiz questions are sometimes formulated in some entangled manner so it's a puzzle of itself just to untangle them. not to mention that some quiz format are utter failure, like the one where you have to input 6 digits corresponding to answer option rank.

the "best" part were programming assignments. so you work thru the lecture and doing some quiz, somehow you get some understanding of how to solve some types of problems. and then bam 8 programming assignments of which only 3 types where discussed in lectures. what's the point of having lectures at all? i mean, without lectures there would 8 types of problems I wouldn't know how to solve, not a big increase from 5.

before I took wonderful course from prof. Tim Roughgarden. It had everything: good presentation style, enough of redundancy in lecture material to get better understanding of more complex topics, nice quiz question with simple answer mechanics and most important, the material you got was enough to do assignments. for some reasons I decided not to lock myself into one source of information and explore other options. waste of time.

So if you want GOOD course on algorithms don't waste your time on this one. go directly to prof. Tims Algorithms specialization offered by Princeton

By Ramin A

Oct 31, 2016

Def a useful skills to have when starting to interview for jobs. This is a hard course to teach to begin with. I found the lectures really boring, too long, hard to understand and just not really motivated well. I think the homework problem are good, but they are very time consuming. You need to use various methods to find edges cases and though that might be a good skill to have as well, it's just too much to get done in one week and somewhat frustrating when you're only stuck in one test case. I think this could be an excellent course with a few modification on the slides and adding more motivations and making shorter homework problems that focuses on the main part of the material for that as oppose to things we've already covered in the previous week. At the moment, I don't think I'll continue this specialization the way it's designed.