Back to Managing Big Data with MySQL

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Big Data with MySQL by Duke University

This course is an introduction to how to use relational databases in business analysis. You will learn how relational databases work, and how to use entity-relationship diagrams to display the structure of the data held within them. This knowledge will help you understand how data needs to be collected in business contexts, and help you identify features you want to consider if you are involved in implementing new data collection efforts. You will also learn how to execute the most useful query and table aggregation statements for business analysts, and practice using them with real databases. No more waiting 48 hours for someone else in the company to provide data to you – you will be able to get the data by yourself! By the end of this course, you will have a clear understanding of how relational databases work, and have a portfolio of queries you can show potential employers. Businesses are collecting increasing amounts of information with the hope that data will yield novel insights into how to improve businesses. Analysts that understand how to access this data – this means you! – will have a strong competitive advantage in this data-smitten business world....

DQ
Jun 20, 2020

One of the best course till now I find on Coursera, well structured everything and practice questions made me feel like real life problems as data were from real database of dognition and ua_dillards.

YC
Aug 19, 2019

Nice and well-organized course. I joined this course after self-studying on SQL for a few days. The context is really nice. The only problem is the Teradata is not stable. I tried very hard to login.

601 - 625 of 809 Reviews for Managing Big Data with MySQL

Aug 19, 2017

Great

By BUSIREDDY N R

Nov 30, 2020

GOOD

By Bharath B

Nov 17, 2020

good

By Avinash R

Oct 24, 2020

good

By Sasika G

Jun 24, 2020

Good

By SAYANTAN D

NIce

By Aigul S

May 16, 2020

тшсу

By VASA S N

Mar 12, 2020

GOOD

By shenjing

Feb 27, 2019

很精彩!

By Adeyemi A

Jan 23, 2019

good

By Weining Z

Nov 21, 2016

good

By FELIX D M

Aug 2, 2016

ok

By Antonio B

May 16, 2016

By Lin M

Mar 1, 2018

What this course can improve is it should adopt the habit of thinking more instead of writing. Because in the week 5, the quiz is much more difficult than all the exercises we have done in previous weeks. And we don't have the guide step by step like previous weeks. I do know we have a week 5 quiz guide. However, when you write queries, sometimes, you do think your logic is right and query is right, why can't I get the same answer with the choices?

And when I finish the quiz and look back to the answer, I even can't find the logic difference between answers and mine but the reality is I can't get the correct result. There is only one diff I have found in one specific question, that is, I didn't use the same format to define one constraint. But I do think my way is also fine and I also get an answer I think is totally correct from the logic.

So I do suggest the answers should not be single sometimes, you should consider some specific formats or situation when students write their own queries. Don't give simple answer, give the reason why you are correct.

By Max H

Feb 21, 2016

I have a theoretical background in relational algebra and SQL. This course did a great job of actually applying that theory in practice in the form of business situations. By using real life data, it also accurately presented raw data as not perfectly organized or "clean". Filtering with subqueries, IN, WHERE, and OUTER JOIN statements are absolutely crucial in cleaning data in real life situations; this course did an excellent job of demonstrating that importance.

I have 2 interrelated critiques however: The usage of 2 different platforms (MySQL for the exercises and Teradata for the quizzes) was very confusing given their distinct syntaxes. I think it would have been more powerful to have the exercises and quizzes on the same platform. Furthermore, the Teradata platform was oftentimes overwhelmed by the number of users and frequently crashed. Going forward I would recommend either ensuring that the servers can handle the amount of user-load, or switching over to the MySQL platform entirely.

By Amy H

Mar 26, 2019

This is a really great course for learning MySQL and Teradata. Coming from a background where I've never studied computers or programming, this course was relatively easy to follow (though Teradata was definitely a challenge for me). I found the instructor pleasant and clear in describing query-writing. There were a few times that I thought we needed more explanation (especially for some of the Teradata exercises), but what is learning without a bit of challenge?! I am really excited to get into the field of data analytics, and this course has helped to open doors for me! I highly recommend taking this course - but be prepared to spend many hours in weeks 4 and 5, as the exercises can be extremely difficult.