Back to The Ancient Greeks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Ancient Greeks by Wesleyan University

This is a survey of ancient Greek history from the Bronze Age to the death of Socrates in 399 BCE. Along with studying the most important events and personalities, we will consider broader issues such as political and cultural values and methods of historical interpretation....

AS

Apr 23, 2018

This has been an enthralling course which introduces you to the world of the Ancient Greek. Thank you Prof. Andrew Szegedy-Maszak, and all the course creators and mentors, for this excellent course.

MH

Sep 04, 2015

Brilliant course. Superbly assembled and presented material. And I love the prof's wry sense of humour!\n\nI've been wanting to learn about this subject for many years. Highly recommended.

26 - 50 of 399 Reviews for The Ancient Greeks

By Stephen R

Oct 04, 2015

This is exactly the model that other humanities and "soft science" courses should follow on Coursera. Your grades and progress are solely based on your own performance and not on the whims of student reviewers. One is also spared the experience of grading the work of others which is often nearly as painful of a punishment as undergoing a root canal sans anesthesia. Other instructors and the leadership of Coursera need to pay attention to how this course is set up in order to make their own future endeavors better for their students.

By Valerie A

Very well structured and interesting course. Even though it's about Ancient ones, it still feels practical as it gives a better understanding of political systems that surround us today and how they came to be. Great lecturer, makes it easy to consume information and remember it even though the subject is so vast it could be overwhelming. Great for general knowledge, for political science students, sociologists, history enthusiasts and for anyone who'd like to break down a couple of myths they believed about Ancient Greece before.

Mar 04, 2016

The course is very well structured for a diverse range of learners. You could get a very deep knowledge and understanding through the readings (Greek tragedies, Herodotus, Thucydides etc) and the lectures, or a broad survey of the Ancient Greeks by just watching the videos. The professor also combines the narrative, the methods used to study those narratives and the limits to our knowledge in an erudite yet engaging manner.

Definitely recommended as a top quality resource for anyone who wants to learn about Ancient Greece.

By Rocío M E L

Jan 19, 2016

Fue un curso maravilloso, aunque difícil ya que contenía muchas lecturas. Gracias al profesor y a todo su staff, a la universidad.

Me gustaría que pudieran hacer el curso en varios módulos, con la misma estructura, pero centrarse con más tiempo en cada módulo, ya que existen muchas lecturas y es muy limitado el tiempo para terminarlas todas.

Ojalá que pudieran hacer esta división y abarcar un poco más en los temas por módulo.

Felicitaciones a todo el equipo y Feliz 2016. Espero vernos pronto en otra edición.

By Jacques R

Feb 13, 2018

Dr. Szegedy-Maszak and team do a superb job with this course. The professor has an authoritative command of ancient Greek history and effectively conveys nuance and important points. He is able to put the subject matter in context of a larger historical perspective. He introduces the fascinating personalities and events that echo to our own age. The professor has a humble and matter of fact style yet conveys a deep and balanced understanding. The course is a pleasure to take and deeply rewarding.

By James S

Feb 07, 2020

Excellent course, although dated since it was assembled. Lectures were excellent as were the supported provided by mentor. The only distraction for students in this particular course is many of the URL links to readings have become broken over the 4+ years since course was first offered and many students have commented, many providing alternate links to find readings in other sites. However, all the lectures are intact and a real joy to attend. Thanks, Coursera for another great course

By Pedro d F L e S

Aug 19, 2020

Professor Andy is the best history professor I've ever had, and, trust me: I've had too many already, since I'm a masters student. Yet, I'm feeling sad because I wish I could thank him personally, and shake his hands right now, maybe even give him a hug (I'm brazilian)! It was my pleasure and privilege to be revisiting the Greeks through his compelling lectures. He is able to bring the dead back to life. Andy is a great historian, not only a great professor. Muito obrigado!

By Paulina B R

Jun 26, 2017

An exceptional course, the professor speaks very clearly and the lectures are very interesting. Maybe the amount of reading material is a little heavy for someone who has not that much time (and the time scheduled for the reading materials is definitely misleading). At the same time, we read some of the most important and significative works of the subjects that were under discussion. Overall a very stimulating, satisfying and interesting course.

Thank you, Professor!

By Mellissa E

Sep 05, 2016

I love listening to these lectures. The professor is highly informed on the subject matter and his personality brings these myths and historical insights to life through engaging, clear story telling. I honestly did not know what to expect from the course, but I am deeply interested and hope to retain at least the main points of the lectures to take with me in my understanding of the world and the development of our richly influenced society by the Ancient Greeks.

By Gabriel P

Jun 03, 2020

A great summary of the periods of Ancient Greece from Minoan and Mycenaean times to Alexander the Great's conquest in the 4th century BCE. The lessons are filled with interesting facts and events told with evident passion and provides a multitude of very good extensive resources including texts from Herodotus, Thucidide, Aristotle, Socrates, and more. I trully enjoyed this course and it gave me a much better undertsanding and appreciation for Ancient Greek History.

By Brian P

Apr 29, 2019

Great course - At times work and other priorities prevented personal study and details /names that would prove required for cumulative quiz at the end of each unit. You can tell the professors passion for both the subject and his desire to communicate that love of Greek and both it's history ,legacy, and culture. Thank you for taking the time to construct a great overview of that time period and the importance of Greece's contribution to world history.

By Jennifer T

Nov 23, 2015

Loving this course! Very engaging subject matter and instructor has discussed topics in such a way as to make you want to know more and to continue with the lessons even though it's way past bedtime!

I have learned quite a bit so far and am developing further interest in that time period, especially how the Ancient Greeks have shaped societal constructs and belief systems and how they have affected us throughout the ages to modern life as we know it.

By Tony P

Nov 07, 2017

This is a superb course! It expertly provides an in depth overview and historical narrative from multiple cultural perspectives of one of the most important periods of world history. It is well structured and well organized. The lectures are easy to follow, and there is an excellent selection of readings of original materials. I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in history, or who ever wondered why our world is the way it is today.

By Ivor C

Sep 08, 2017

Very interesting course that provides an enormous amount of information in a lot of different subjects - e.g. history, politics, art, literature. Despite the breadth of coverage there was also some great detail upon particular people and events. The prof has a very understated kind of delivery but he really knows his stuff and although I have only a general kind of interest in history he really kept me engaged. Highly recommended.

By Sandra R E

Jul 18, 2020

This was a wonderful course for me, I throughly enjoyed it. The lectures were well done & gave me much information I was not aware of. Prior to taking this course I took the course “The pre Socratic philosophers & Plato. That was an interesting course as well. I havE always had an interest in Greek culture & history. Their democracy was to be greatly admired & studied by historians. Looking forward to taking another course.

By NIKOLAOS Z

May 07, 2018

EXCELLENT! A REAL PLEASURE, VERY INFORMATIVE AND STIMULATING TO PURSUE MORE KNOWLEDGE FROM THESE WISEST PEOPLE. ALSO, VERY RELEVANT IN OUR TIMES AND PROBABLE FOR AS LONG AS HUMANS LIVE, WE CAN LEARN FROM THE ANCIENT GREEKS, EVEN IF IT IS DIFFICULT.

PROFESSOR SZEGEDY-MASZAK IS NOT ONLY A GREAT TEACHER, BUT ALSO A PLEASURE TO LISTEN AND SEE. MY HIGHEST REGARDS TO EVERYBODY WHO MADE THIS COURSE POSSIBLE.

By Aline F

Feb 29, 2016

An excellent course for those interested in an introduction to classical studies. I studied roman history and latin at high school, and I was eager to learn more about the ancient greeks. This course provided me a great introduction. And it raised my interest in reading ancient greek authors. That was the strongest point for me: no need of animation, I liked the invitation to read ancient texts.

By Newportfiji

Feb 13, 2017

Excellent overview and introduction to Greek history. I am travelling to Greece later this year and wanted to get a better understanding of Greek history to appreciate the art, literature, architecture and sites which I will be visiting. This course was both educational and entertaining. I highly recommend and look forward to building upon the knowledge acquired in the course. Thank you!

By Laurent G

Oct 28, 2018

This course is in my opinion exceptionally well made. The reading requirements are dense (clearly not to be done in the 10 minutes allocated each time), very informative and well integrated in the course itself. The course is introductive, but goes far enough to give a great background to build upon. I believe this course is a necessary first step for anybody interested in Greek history.

By Frances Y

Jul 30, 2017

Only criticisms would be that a number of the links for the readings are broken and I had to go searching for substitute sites to read them. Luckily being from the fifth century, all the readings are in the public domain. Also the majority if not all the readings are labeled to take 10 minutes but I found many took more than an hour and for the particularly longer works two hours.

By Barry D

Sep 14, 2015

Very interesting class. The readings were helpful in understanding a deep appreciation for the subjects covered. Still dislike the multiple guess questions at the end of each section, think essays would show mastery of the bigger picture, but understand the constrains of time on the professor. Still, I would recommend this class as a basic introduction to Ancie

By Jonathan W

Nov 12, 2015

I've found this course extremely helpful as I teach Greek history to my high school classes. Professor Andy explains crucial events in enough detail yet the videos are concise enough to watch multiple in one evening with good comprehension. Thank you so much for the lectures and great resources! They are invaluable to my planning my unit on Ancient Greece!

By Ion G F

Sep 18, 2015

Even though it covers some topics a little "superficially", this course is of great value for those who want to get more knowledge about the history and development of ancient Greece. It is really interesting that it does not only cover political and military issues, but also daily life and civic aspects of this civilization.

Really recommendable!