Back to Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space by University of Arizona

This course is designed for anyone who is interested in learning more about modern astronomy. We will help you get up to date on the most recent astronomical discoveries while also providing support at an introductory level for those who have no background in science....

WB
Dec 14, 2020

I really enjoyed working through the modules of this course. The material was interesting and enlightening. The self-paced format worked well for me and I will look for similar courses going forward.

SM
Jul 1, 2020

Amazing introductory course and covers wide variety of topics ranging from history, to astronomy to astrobiology. Really great of amateur astronomers and for anyone who is remotely interested in it.

826 - 850 of 900 Reviews for Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space

Jul 24, 2017

v

By Meir B

Sep 8, 2019

The course in general is very interesting and anyone who's even slightly intrigued by Astronomy and the universe we live in will find it very satisfying. The video lectures were great, and supplementary materials were in abundance.

However, some of the material was quiet hard to understand, especially for non-native English speakers like me. I'd improve the accompanying subtitles for the video lectures (some of them were actually misleading).

Some of the lectures included animations, simulations and external footages that really helped understanding some of the complexed materials - more of these would have been great (they were indeed missing sometimes).

Also, the later subjects were more interesting than the first ones, and though I understand the importance of understanding the basics before diving into the "deep water", I'd make the first classes more brief (history of astronomy, the scientific method), and extend the later subjects (astrobiology, distant galaxies, the Solar System planets and moons, etc.)

Overall, I had really great time, and I definetely recommend this course to anyone :)

By Maria M

Dec 11, 2020

This course is a good introduction to astronomy for someone with no knowledge in the subject or physics/maths. As someone with a lot of experience in STEM however, it would've been nice to see the mathematics behind all the theories in some detail, though I understand that this would not have been a preference for everyone studying this course.

As the course is rather old at the time of writing, some of the material seems slightly outdated, but I understand that efforts have been made to make sure that the information is relevant to astronomy today.

Nevertheless, it provides a basic understanding of a broad range of topics in this subject. I enjoyed that the writing assignments as they helped me understand the course material a lot better.

By Alberto A F P

Dec 28, 2020

El curso es muy bueno en general pero adolece de información astronómica actualizada, falta que agreguen los últimos avances de esta ciencia de al menos 4 años para acá, cosa que en estos tiempos implica un gran atraso. Asimismo los videos que incluyen algunas clases de prof. Impey son muy malos, con baja definición y calidad.The course is very good in general but it lacks up-to-date astronomical information, it is necessary to add the latest advances in this science from at least 4 years to now, which in these times implies a great delay. Also the videos that include some classes of prof. Impey are very bad, with low definition and quality.

By Francesca D

Jan 16, 2018

This course covers all basic elements of astronomy and cosmology. The Professor is great and the lectures are very clear and effective. No math skills or previous knowledge of the topic is required.

An important limitation, however, is that much of the material is outdated. Some videos were recorded as far back as 2010! In the sciences everything changes fast, and a few years can make a big difference. I think the year the lectures were recorded should be indicated in the course’s info page, so that learners know this in advance.

The staff is great and the mentor always answers readily and kindly on forums.

By Bart V

Nov 5, 2015

The contents of the course are great and prof. Impey is a great communicator. The course is easy to follow, the final chapters on galaxies and cosmology are a bit more difficult but that is due to the nature of the subject and I applaud that the prof does not "dumb it down" or brushes over such difficult ans speculative subjects. I minor nuisance for me were the frequent songs and funny videos interspersed in the course content. It would have been better if they were separate from the main videos or otherwise could be easily skipped by people who don't have a lot of time. overall a great course!

By Nadia M R

Dec 9, 2020

While I did find the course very interesting and informational, I was under the impression that most of the information would be about up to date astronomy findings, but the professor often spoke of things that happened at least 7 years ago. He spoke of how exciting the mars curiosity rover landing would be and what information it might send back, but that happened in 2012, and since then the perseverance rover has been launched and Opportunity died. Apart from this I greatly enjoyed the course, and have been bombarding my parents with cool new astronomy facts I've learned.

By Arthur T R

Aug 23, 2018

The course is great, videos and material are excellent, professor and mentors are very helpful. The assignments grading scheme, therefore is a disaster. It is very frustrating to do an assignment and get bad grades from people who didn't had any effort to do it. They simply spam bad grades over the others, and when you see their submission is always plagiarized content from Wikipedia, Space.com, Forbes or any other website. Because of that I will not give 5 stars. It would be 5 if mentors or the professor evaluated the assignments.

By Elena M

Dec 22, 2016

Course was excellent. Prof. was excellent. I am a retired nurse so I took the course because of my lifelong interest in astronomy, science and the unknown. My only complaint is that I could not complete the last quiz because I could not get the micro-observatory to work on my Mac OS. My husband is a computer engineer and he could not get it to work on his computer either. This was disappointing!

By Zainab A

Aug 10, 2020

I've always been fascinated about space and astronomy and there are so many questions that come in my mind and at times there are certain questions that you never ask yourself because you have too little knowledge and this course has given me the answers to all my questions and has increased my curiosity about the the world out there and thus inspired me to learn even more about the universe.

By Peter S

Sep 11, 2020

Really enjoyable course. Fascinating subject matter.

Some course materials could do with being brought up to date with the latest developments.

But then the pace of progress is breathtaking. As a beginner, I have learned a great deal and will continue more in-depth learning via the many excellent internet facilities.

Thanks to Professor Impey and Arizona University.

By Tanmay B

May 14, 2020

There should be some improvement in the course , the course name is astronomy:exploring space & time so according to me the course should have included topics related to time-travel , 3d space, 4d space , einsteins theories . But besides that the professor was very knowledgeable and videos he included in his lecture were really interesting.

By Shazma G

Jul 20, 2020

A very informative course for begineers. I personally find this course a very informative. This course provides me information about some areas of astronomy which i don't even know before. Moreover, this course increases my interest in Astrophysics. In the end, a big THANKS to professor Chris impey who taught it so well.

By Tigest A

Aug 8, 2020

Pretty good, some of the units drag on a little but most of the content is very interesting and the instructional videos include very funny videos or videos from pop-culture, which makes some of them very entertaining. I feel like I have definitely broadened by knowledge by taking a chance on this comprehensive course.

By Sean W

Jul 23, 2018

The course is very good and I liked the prof. My only complaint is that the lectures themselves and the videos within them are becoming a bit dated. My knowledge in astronomy was not extensive coming into the course and I feel like now I have a better understanding of the expanse of the field.

By Robert H

Nov 18, 2018

Coherent and related to subject matter. Materials are linked and presentation is good. Text is well writing and congruent. Some material is quite outdated but not antiquated. Unable to effectively use http://archive.stsci.edu/hst/hsc/ versions 3 ,2 or 1 yet. May be insufficient OS or browser.

By Leonie O

Sep 25, 2017

Very interesting, well presented. I do prefer the format of The Moons couse on futurelearn however, found it hard to stay awake watching videos even though they are interesting. I think having to scroll and open links on the futurelearn site is enough to keep me awake and engaged.

By SHIVAM S

May 23, 2020

It was one of the best course i have undertaken in Coursera. Prof. Chuck is a very knowledgable person. Enjoyed a lot along with learning. Very interesting course. Although if there could have been some updates on the recent findings in the field, it would have been more awesome.

By bharat k

Sep 26, 2020

I have been fascinated with Astronomy since childhood. In the Boy Scouts, I had learned a lot when I received my Starman badge. This course gave me more of an insight into the heavens and I am grateful to the University of Arizona to let me take this course free of charge.

By Jules B

Jun 10, 2020

I loved learn with him. The informations are easy to understand and the switch between slides and videos is just a great idea. I just ask to instore the 1-point-notation, when we review our peers. I recommend this course to everyone who is interesting by astronomy!!

By Andrea W

Aug 2, 2020

I found this course a great introduction to Astronomy. Unfortunately some fo the content is out-of date but it is easy to find the more recent information on these areas generally on the internet. I have recommended this course to others and they are enjoying it.

By Puja P

Nov 2, 2020

I deducted a star just because it becomes lengthy when one thing is repeated in a series of videos. Overall the content of this course is awesome and gives a clear view of all the disciplines in Astronomy from physics to biology.