Back to Big Data Integration and Processing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big Data Integration and Processing by University of California San Diego

4.4

At the end of the course, you will be able to: *Retrieve data from example database and big data management systems *Describe the connections between data management operations and the big data processing patterns needed to utilize them in large-scale analytical applications *Identify when a big data problem needs data integration *Execute simple big data integration and processing on Hadoop and Spark platforms This course is for those new to data science. Completion of Intro to Big Data is recommended. No prior programming experience is needed, although the ability to install applications and utilize a virtual machine is necessary to complete the hands-on assignments. Refer to the specialization technical requirements for complete hardware and software specifications. Hardware Requirements: (A) Quad Core Processor (VT-x or AMD-V support recommended), 64-bit; (B) 8 GB RAM; (C) 20 GB disk free. How to find your hardware information: (Windows): Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties; (Mac): Open Overview by clicking on the Apple menu and clicking “About This Mac.” Most computers with 8 GB RAM purchased in the last 3 years will meet the minimum requirements.You will need a high speed internet connection because you will be downloading files up to 4 Gb in size. Software Requirements: This course relies on several open-source software tools, including Apache Hadoop. All required software can be downloaded and installed free of charge (except for data charges from your internet provider). Software requirements include: Windows 7+, Mac OS X 10.10+, Ubuntu 14.04+ or CentOS 6+ VirtualBox 5+....

SB

Oct 21, 2020

Hello Gentlemen,

This course was very helpful foe me. It enhanced my knowledge about Big Data Integration. Thank you so much for providing me such important knowledge. Thank you once again.

FC

Sep 24, 2016

Best course taking into account the first three. Good material, more in depth than the other ones. Very well explained. Useful to get a sense of various interesting topics and orientative.

251 - 275 of 497 Reviews for Big Data Integration and Processing

By Anvitha K

Jun 17, 2020

nice

By Aji N J

good

By Maansi

May 22, 2020

good

By aleksei a

Mar 20, 2020

good

By Arthur-Lance

Sep 24, 2017

Oct 13, 2016

G

By Santiago V M

Oct 21, 2020

El curso fue muy util e interesante, y mucho de lo aprendido sirve para aplicarlo en el mundo laboral de la sociedad actual. Me gustaron los módulos que tenía y los distintos retos que proponía. Sin embargo, se nota que el curso no está actualizado en términos de las herramientas que pide utilizar lo que frena mucho la fluidez del aprendizaje. Por otro lado, se nota que los mentores y profesores no están pendientes del curso. En el foro hay preguntas que se repiten y se repiten y no hay respuesta por ningún lado de nadie distintas a otros estudiantes que, o tienen las mismas dudas, o que lograron de alguna forma resolver la duda. Pienso que al ser denominado como curso, alguien debe estar pendiente de las dudas que puedan surgir.

By Michael L

Mar 22, 2020

I especially enjoyed the hand-on exercise of week 6 and all-in-all the lectures. They give a good overview on various data integration tools.

Though, I think the virtual machine and some documentation around it needs an update. If you do not finish exercises in one sweep, it is often not obvious how to restore the original settings. I think I've spent almost the same time trying to get the environment on my virtual machine running as with the actual doing in the exercise. I know that this might even reflect the life of a data scientist but some checker scripts which test, if hadoop is running properly, environment variables are set correct, the right version of java is in the path, and so on would be really helpful.

By Misha

Jul 12, 2020

Serious problems with the hands-on assignments. I consider myself a fairly seasoned programmer, with quite a few years of Python under my belt. I still spent many hours on the final project, searching around CentOS forums for ways to troubleshoot Pyspark (the last assignment takes place in a virtual machine). I would recommend not taking this class until you have a very solid understanding of Python and, be aware, this requires bravery in the face of the command line. Not for the faint of heart. I learned A LOT about MongoDB, Linux, PySpark, Hadoop, and conceptual big data as a whole.

By Anurag S

Sep 13, 2018

The course content is very well thought out and presented.

Hands-on exercises remain a challenge as many things don't work. It takes the mindset of problem-solving (not just in big data, but also in debugging, figuring out how to get different scripts to run, how to set environment variables etc.) to be able to complete all exercises in this course. I suspect that many people might get discouraged and quit the course midway.

The final week's exercises did test my programming skills to a very large extent but gave me a good understanding of the course concepts.

A very good course overall.

By Nikhil C

Aug 20, 2020

Overall very solid course, for the last week, I really enjoyed the fact that it was hands on and made you think and challenge yourself.

For the final project, the data was difficult to process. I was able to do all the major steps, but some minor issues made the task needlessly difficult. Still, I think these kinds of hands on experiences are very important since processing data IRL is not easy and you run into tons of issues.

By Jeffrey K

Nov 9, 2020

There were several issues running the hands-on assignments; problems with getting various python tools and/or features. These issues made the labs frustrating at times, take much longer than needed, and quite stressful to complete.

This is an old specialization and must be updated with a variety of necessary modifications done to it in order to keep it running!

By Abhishek K G

Jan 28, 2020

Amazing course to learn the fundamentals and get hands on experience with mongoDB and pySpark. Course is a little bit challenging due to some errors in guidelines for setting up some working environment and with solutions to final quiz. Would have given 5 stars if those issues discussed on the forums would have been answered. Overall, great learning experience.

By Hector D I

Aug 6, 2021

Es curso es muy bueno, pero deberían tener más consideraciones o tutoriales respecto a la forma de proceder con los updates de los sistemas. Los aspectos a tener presentes cuando se instalan, los parches requeridos para que ciertos comandos funcionen, etc. Eso resulta muy complejo, en especial por los tiempos de descargas e instalación de los mismos.

By Devendran M

Dec 21, 2020

Very good course. Not much of programming skills required, only logical thinking.

Good hands on experience but seems the course materials need updating to the current level of versions in the respective tools. Pyspark was an issue right from the start and I have to use other methods to answer the quizzes. I hope I would not be

By Vincent R

Mar 28, 2018

The course was interesting and challenging. I definitely learned a lot. As a beginner, my programming skills are limited. Thus, I would have liked a little more guidance for some practical aspects of the final exercises. It would have saved me some time. However, I recognize the added benefit of being obliged to find by myself.

By Joao C C d F P d C

Nov 30, 2016

I had a considerable difficulty with the last exercise because it seams to aim to a different level of students than the ones that followed the rest of the course. I would suggest to put the rest of the course, videos, exercises, etc. to the level of the fine_project which, in my opinion, is the correct level.

By Laura R

Aug 5, 2020

The theoretical material is perfectly laid out. Hands-on sessions were a bit disappointing. The recommended version of Splunk software has long been unsupported, and newer ones have failed to install. In some places, the explanations are very vague (for example, how to export data.

By Tariq A

Dec 27, 2019

The course exceeded my expectations in many regards — especially in the depth of information supplied and the access to the instructor for feedback on work in progress. In a very non-threatening environment, I learned key principles of design that I can implement immediately.

By Jose D G R

Oct 15, 2017

There's the need for more examples, even some errors, so we can learn the importance of some syntax errors and how to know or to solve them.

Overall information is good and the examples/questionnaires but maybe more syllabus or links to info that helps improve what it's learned.