Back to Astro 101: Black Holes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astro 101: Black Holes by University of Alberta

What is a black hole? Do they really exist? How do they form? How are they related to stars? What would happen if you fell into one? How do you see a black hole if they emit no light? What’s the difference between a black hole and a really dark star? Could a particle accelerator create a black hole? Can a black hole also be a worm hole or a time machine? In Astro 101: Black Holes, you will explore the concepts behind black holes. Using the theme of black holes, you will learn the basic ideas of astronomy, relativity, and quantum physics. After completing this course, you will be able to: • Describe the essential properties of black holes. • Explain recent black hole research using plain language and appropriate analogies. • Compare black holes in popular culture to modern physics to distinguish science fact from science fiction. • Describe the application of fundamental physical concepts including gravity, special and general relativity, and quantum mechanics to reported scientific observations. • Recognize different types of stars and distinguish which stars can potentially become black holes. • Differentiate types of black holes and classify each type as observed or theoretical. • Characterize formation theories associated with each type of black hole. • Identify different ways of detecting black holes, and appropriate technologies associated with each detection method. • Summarize the puzzles facing black hole researchers in modern science....

SK
Jul 30, 2020

i love this course, everything from knowledge to the visual and scientific data, this course amazed me.\n\ni thanking to all the person in this course to sharing this knowledge in such an amazing way

DB
Jul 26, 2020

It is an Excellent course , with no math assignments, if you want to learn Black holes Definitely, this is the course for you , i am looking for another course from same team. Excellent Team Effort.

26 - 50 of 238 Reviews for Astro 101: Black Holes

By Camilo J S E

Sep 14, 2020

Very interesting course. As I started working as an electrical engineer in an observatory developing the front end stage for a receiver for radio astronomy, I started to have many questions about the nature of the observations that are studied in the facility. This course helped me to have many of the answers I was looking for and explained the objectives of the international collaborations between other observatories I've read in many documents. Thank you for such a rich course.

By Anastasiia G

Dec 14, 2019

This course is exceptional and was so much more than I expected.

The depth to which we go on the subject, the wealth of material, the presentation, the fun, the extremely likable and amazing teachers - all make this course an incredible experience.

In all fairness, the course is too low-priced for its value, as so much thought, effort and time went into creating it.

University of Alberta really does create absolute best courses. Highly recommend this and other courses by UofA.

By Niyathi Y

Mar 3, 2019

I am 14 years old. This course is the bestttt!! I love how the teachers discuss the fundamentals and the basic concepts of the course before they dive into the topic. Right now I am totally loving this course. I recommend this course to anyone who is interested in astronomy and astrophysics. You don’t even need to have a lot of pre requisite knowledge for this. You can directly start it. The professors are really good at explaining the concept. This. Course. Is. Amazing.

By Gary S

May 8, 2019

Course covers all the bases, both from the very basic notions, with suitable introductory material on things like how one determines the composition of a star from spectra, to the physics that allows one to understand the recent image of a black hole(without this course one might think photographing a black hole to be impossible.We now understand the time dilation effects of approaching a black hole and how one can do so safely.

Fascinating stuff

By Russell T F

Jun 27, 2018

I am truly delighted for a very high quality course about black holes. No doubt more will rapidly be learned in the near future about them. I would love to come to Alberta and help make the next updated revision with you. University of Alberta has the best quality and most interesting topics. Black holes are amazing and wonderful things to contemplate. Great work by a great team, the Black Holes 101 course makes me want to learn more.

By Michael B

Oct 26, 2018

Great course! Does a good job explaining the current state of our understanding of the most complicated objects in the universe, as well as the challenges and cutting edge technology of modern scientific observations. I've always wanted to learn about black holes and this was a great opportunity to get up to date knowledge from the top experts in the field, presented in an interactive and easily understand way for non-scientists

By Jason T B

Apr 12, 2020

Wonderful instructors and information! I've always had an interest in Black Holes and space in general. 25+ years out of college and a Law Enforcement career later, and now that my kids are out of high school, I have a little more time to concentrate on these topics again, thank you to all the Astro 101Instructors for helping me get back on my journey through space again! Much Thanks! - Jason Billings, Church Hill TN

By Scotty P

Jan 14, 2019

I loved this course, and I grew to absolutely adore the instructors. It's readily apparent that they had fun putting it all together. And the production staff! How fun were the animations, graphics, live shots and edits? All the way fun! Thanks everyone! The only problem with this course? Astro 105, 201, 314 and higher level specialities aren't yet available. More U of A Astrophysics courses, please. You guys rock.

By Liza v G

Jun 12, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. Good voices, playful explanations, variety in subjects. `From now on I have a different view on Black Holes. I recommend this course to everyone who likes to learn more about the universe on a swinging way. A lot of beautiful pictures and good information about ways: how to research your object. Thanks and love from The Netherlands, Rotterdam

By Arya R K

Black holes are indeed one of the most fascinating topics. No matter how much knowledge one might have about black holes they are indeed going to grow after taking this course. All the teachers via their field of expertise provide vast and accurate knowledge about black holes and the singularity. I really loved this course and attained a lot of knowledge about black holes.

By Marie R

Sep 6, 2018

I loved every part of this course, especially how clearly everything was explained. I also really loved the annimations, design and little props that were used to explain things more clearly. I really feel like I'v learned so much and am actually a little bit sad that I'm finished. Thanks for the wonderful oppertunity to learn about something so fascinating!

By Jacqueline K

Nov 10, 2020

My 10 year old son participated in this course with me and enjoyed it tremendously! He is fascinated with space and in particular black holes. I learned about quantum theory and brushed up on Newtons' Laws and Einsteins' theory of relativity. Hopefully, the information gained by my son will stay with him into his University years.

P.S. He loved Ross!

Nov 28, 2020

I have learned exclusively about black holes and other important stuff in astrophysics which I am interested in. This is a great course for beginners and they have showed experiments practically in this course. I had a great experience in this course. I thank the Coursera team and the team of University of Alberta for this wonderful course.Thank you

By Prajwal M

Apr 19, 2021

This was the first course that i completed on coursera. All the professors were so good at explaining things. Got to know a lot of new and amazing things. I will suggest that every physics undergrad should go through this course. This course will widen the horizon of your understanding. That was a great experience to do this course. Thank you.

By Priyankush D

Jun 11, 2020

Wonderful course! I just loved how the whole teaching team worked in sync to make this course simple, easy-to-understand yet providing detailed knowledge of many aspects of blackhole. The beautiful animations, photographs and interviews from experts also add significant value to this course. Expecting new courses for the team soon.

By Tyler B

Jan 3, 2021

Phenomenal course! I learned so much that I didn't even know existed about black holes such as how they really form, masses, doppler shifts, quantum mechanics, stars, and so much more. This was definitely a fantastic use of my time and I thank you guys for putting in so much effort to create this amazing course! Thank you!

By Suzanne C

Mar 29, 2021

A very engaging course with a lot of interesting information - and plenty of references to other resources and articles to look at if we want to follow up on what we learned! I'd be curious/interested to see an update to the course with more recent findings too, though have no idea how that would work out logistically.

By JAIDEEP T

Jun 5, 2020

An excellent course. Very well thought of, and material arranged in order for easier understanding. Presented and explained exceptionally well. All the basics of astronomy covered with emphasis on black holes and their signatures. Truly a pleasure to take the course, saddened by the fact that it got over so soon !!!

By Anthony A

Jan 24, 2021

What an amazing introduction into the mystical world of back holes. A very up-to-date course which will help one follow recent discoveries and announcements making their way into the popular media. Great team effort from each one of the instructors involved in making this great course such an enjoyable experience.

By Niranjana S

Jul 3, 2020

The instructors are amazing and explain everything in a concise manner while fully engaging with the content with enthusiasm. It was an informative course, not too technical and provide a better insight to particularly tough topics. I'm even more eager to learn more and maybe research black holes myself someday.

By Giapitzoglou M

Nov 29, 2019

A very well structured course. The videos are funny, well thought and explanatory. The illustrations and examples make it easy even for a beginner to understand what is being explained. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I would recommend this course to everyone who has an interest in astrophysics!! Thank you, guys!

By Denise H

Apr 13, 2019

Watching this course was a lot of fun. I was able to repeat things I already knew and learned even more new things. Because the way things are explained I was able to keep up until the end even if I didn't understand every single detail yet. This course is a really great way of learning about Black Holes.

By Daniel C

Dec 20, 2020

This course had a plethora of information, condensed and explained thoroughly (and clearly) enough for someone with limited scientific background to understand. It was very well put together and a pleasure to work through. It is a very good introduction for someone with a curiosity for black holes.

By Ava

Dec 17, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! I'm a bit on the younger side, and I was still able to thoroughly grasp the concept of black holes and their nature throughout this course. The professors in this course did an excellent job of using models and explaining. I would recommend this course!

By Amanda A

Mar 16, 2021

A really enjoyable and engaging course about black holes, astrophysics and the methods currently available to study the universe. Definitely a course well suited to a beginner, as the high level math and physics is broken down into easily understandable concepts. Highly recommended!