Back to Astro 101: Black Holes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astro 101: Black Holes by University of Alberta

What is a black hole? Do they really exist? How do they form? How are they related to stars? What would happen if you fell into one? How do you see a black hole if they emit no light? What’s the difference between a black hole and a really dark star? Could a particle accelerator create a black hole? Can a black hole also be a worm hole or a time machine? In Astro 101: Black Holes, you will explore the concepts behind black holes. Using the theme of black holes, you will learn the basic ideas of astronomy, relativity, and quantum physics. After completing this course, you will be able to: • Describe the essential properties of black holes. • Explain recent black hole research using plain language and appropriate analogies. • Compare black holes in popular culture to modern physics to distinguish science fact from science fiction. • Describe the application of fundamental physical concepts including gravity, special and general relativity, and quantum mechanics to reported scientific observations. • Recognize different types of stars and distinguish which stars can potentially become black holes. • Differentiate types of black holes and classify each type as observed or theoretical. • Characterize formation theories associated with each type of black hole. • Identify different ways of detecting black holes, and appropriate technologies associated with each detection method. • Summarize the puzzles facing black hole researchers in modern science....

SK
Jul 30, 2020

i love this course, everything from knowledge to the visual and scientific data, this course amazed me.\n\ni thanking to all the person in this course to sharing this knowledge in such an amazing way

DB
Jul 26, 2020

It is an Excellent course , with no math assignments, if you want to learn Black holes Definitely, this is the course for you , i am looking for another course from same team. Excellent Team Effort.

76 - 100 of 238 Reviews for Astro 101: Black Holes

By MOHAMMED A Q

Jan 15, 2021

Its was amazing to explore the univers and materials like stars and galaxies and balck holes... the faculties are very nice and professional at teaching. I am impressed.. THANKS A LOT ....

By Astrophile A

Simply,This course is the best I found in Coursera. It has all Information. I would like that it include some more Mathematics of black Hole. Black hole thermodynamics is great topic.

By Anayeli C

Jun 10, 2020

Lots of new information in my head. Ross, Sharon, Janette and Curtis, they are excellent teachers, I am very grateful to them. For the first time I understand Einstein's relativity.

By Manuel A A G

Nov 21, 2019

I loved this course, because currently it is well for learn. Information about space time is the new Millennial tendency for learn. Thank's for all, and for make me better student.

By chandrasekkar s

Dec 16, 2019

It was a really good course.I learnt a lot about black holes and neutron stars.I thoroughly enjoyed this course and learnt a lot.Thanks a lot ,the faculty at University of Alberta

By Neil R S

This is an excellent course taught by good teachers who relate complex phenomena in simple ways. Highly recommended to anyone interested in Black Holes and Astrophysics.

By Rakesh N 1

Aug 20, 2020

This was just amazing learning. Didn't feel like am learning it's feel like am watching some kind of movies. Thank You all for your efforts. I'm indebted to all of you.

By meet j

Jul 2, 2020

Most thrilling and exciting course! thank you UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA for giving me the chance to explore the most difficult yet beautiful journey through black holes 🙂

By Luis A M

Apr 9, 2020

Really enjoyed and learned a lot. Congratulations to the Astro 101 Black Holes and I am looking forward for other courses like this from the U of Alberta. Thank you.

By Riley A

May 6, 2020

Great course, some information should be revised/added especially with the new discoveries such as the image of the M87 black hole taken after this course was made.

By Endre T

Sep 27, 2020

I have got a lot of new information upon the latest state of sience. Thank for the idee giving information on ongoing exploring and not on the "orthodox" theories.

By padm k

Mar 21, 2021

Starting from very basics the course took us to smooth ride to higher levels of understanding.' The journey to Black Holes' was truly full of excitement and fun.

By DIEGO E A O

Sep 25, 2020

It a complete course and also way too entertaining, perfect if you want to understand basic physics and get to know more about black holes and the physics behind

By gaurang m

Jul 12, 2020

i enjoyed learning everything about black holes in the course and the teachers that taught us did an excellent job to help us understand all this stuff easily

By Jack S

Jun 25, 2019

Definitely good introductory course for someone interested in black holes! The instructors are funny and really taught me things with certain detail. Like it!

By BASIREDDY

Jul 23, 2020

THIS COURSE HAVE A VERY VAST INFORMATION ABOUT BLACK HOLES.THANKS FOR PRODUCING SUCH A GREAT INFORMATIVE COURSES FOR ALL .THANKS FOR ALL INFORMATION .....

By Harsh J

Nov 29, 2020

course was very interesting and knowledgeable. It increased my enthusiasm in black holes and space. The course covers almost every aspect in black holes.

By Francisco J G M

Nov 26, 2020

The best source of information about black holes I've ever known. I've learned a lot, and I've dreamt with black holes. I'l come back to the course soon.

By Asad A

Sep 28, 2020

A great course indeed, a detailed study of black holes without the mathematical equations. Good course instructing team and really enjoyed the course!

By Aakash L S

Jul 27, 2020

its quite a good course

im glad that i did this. now i feel a bit more connected to the universe.

im sure taking this course will help me in my career.

By Stephen T

Mar 27, 2019

Super fun and interesting! This course made me a lot more interested in the universe outside our own atmosphere, and now I want to buy a telescope...

By Bella G

Jun 29, 2020

Very good course as an introduction to this topic. I was able to follow along well and I feel good about the knowledge I know have on this subject!

By AMRITA M

Feb 12, 2021

An excellent course for beginners-astronomy enthusiasts who want to learn from scratch. Beautiful explanations aided with really exciting examples!

By Evisa T

May 9, 2019

I really liked this course, it was extremely interesting and very well done! I liked the interactivity as well! Thank you for the very good work!

By Jolanta A

Apr 19, 2021

I loved every week of the course! It is both fun and thought provoking, and it provides an opportunity to gain much knowledge about black holes.