Back to Astro 101: Black Holes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astro 101: Black Holes by University of Alberta

What is a black hole? Do they really exist? How do they form? How are they related to stars? What would happen if you fell into one? How do you see a black hole if they emit no light? What’s the difference between a black hole and a really dark star? Could a particle accelerator create a black hole? Can a black hole also be a worm hole or a time machine? In Astro 101: Black Holes, you will explore the concepts behind black holes. Using the theme of black holes, you will learn the basic ideas of astronomy, relativity, and quantum physics. After completing this course, you will be able to: • Describe the essential properties of black holes. • Explain recent black hole research using plain language and appropriate analogies. • Compare black holes in popular culture to modern physics to distinguish science fact from science fiction. • Describe the application of fundamental physical concepts including gravity, special and general relativity, and quantum mechanics to reported scientific observations. • Recognize different types of stars and distinguish which stars can potentially become black holes. • Differentiate types of black holes and classify each type as observed or theoretical. • Characterize formation theories associated with each type of black hole. • Identify different ways of detecting black holes, and appropriate technologies associated with each detection method. • Summarize the puzzles facing black hole researchers in modern science....

SK
Jul 30, 2020

i love this course, everything from knowledge to the visual and scientific data, this course amazed me.\n\ni thanking to all the person in this course to sharing this knowledge in such an amazing way

DB
Jul 26, 2020

It is an Excellent course , with no math assignments, if you want to learn Black holes Definitely, this is the course for you , i am looking for another course from same team. Excellent Team Effort.

76 - 100 of 193 Reviews for Astro 101: Black Holes

By Aakash L S

Jul 27, 2020

its quite a good course

im glad that i did this. now i feel a bit more connected to the universe.

im sure taking this course will help me in my career.

By Stephen T

Mar 27, 2019

Super fun and interesting! This course made me a lot more interested in the universe outside our own atmosphere, and now I want to buy a telescope...

By Bella G

Jun 29, 2020

Very good course as an introduction to this topic. I was able to follow along well and I feel good about the knowledge I know have on this subject!

By Evisa T

May 9, 2019

I really liked this course, it was extremely interesting and very well done! I liked the interactivity as well! Thank you for the very good work!

By Jorfel A O M

Sep 24, 2019

Bastante completo en todos los sentidos y los docentes son profundamente pedagogicos, lo que necesito para poder seguir triunfando en mi àrea.

By SOUTRIK G

Sep 14, 2019

Excellent course. Each and every section is well designed and having enormous insight. Awesome knowledge contents and experience. THANK YOU!

By JoAnne E R

Mar 1, 2020

On several of the quizes I took I made 100, answering all question correctly. Why did I only score a 90% when I should have scored a 100%?

By Oleksandr R

Jan 7, 2020

Great Course! Excellent explanation and very informative. Beautiful presentation and interactive materials. Thanks for this perfect Course!

By Hermann S

Jan 27, 2019

Thank you for this course. Had a great time and learned lots of new and interesting stuff. cheers ^_^ (too much food references, though :D)

By Mohamed A

Aug 7, 2020

I learned many new things in this course and it actually helped me to wide my view about black holes and it helped me in many ways.

By Syed M A R

Mar 15, 2019

I gained a lot of insights about the behavior of the black-holes in a very organized manner. I am thankful to all the instructors.

By chanakya r P V

i have enjoyed studying about blackholes, stars and other concepts. this was really helpful to my knowledge and was fun to learn.

By Siddhant J

Jun 29, 2020

I want way more courses like this from the same lecturers and want even more in depth knowledge. Loved the whole course overall.

By Kris

Mar 19, 2019

I never felt bored while studying this course. 4 Professors are teaching in their amazing styles. Great course for beginners.

By SANYASI R S

Nov 10, 2020

Highly informative with well designed course material. Thanks to all the team members for their excellent video presentations

By Tony S

Oct 6, 2020

Best interactive fun teaching and an amazing learning experience, best course on basic black hole knowledge on internet today

By Saurav A

Jul 9, 2020

One of the best course I’ve found across everywhere for Astrophysics. Go for it. No second thoughts. Thank you Coursera team.

By Sai G P

Jun 27, 2020

was very informative and fun,

especially watching Ross and Curtis having fun in the background while teaching . loved it alot.

By Aavani A

Jan 12, 2020

The classes are too good and explained well. Illustrations are simple and understanding. Informative in less amount of time.

By nikhil k

Jul 15, 2020

haha pure interest!! i love to explore, and when you explore something because you wanted to explore, you love everything!!

By Pavan C P

Really fascinating, helped me to gain lots of Insight on BH's, hawking radiation. Tremendous work on animations. Thank you!

By Varun S

Oct 30, 2020

Great Great Course...I really thank all the Teachers for their excellent guidance through our journey of the Black holes.

By RASHMI S

Sep 3, 2020

I need basic knowledge about black holes so I joined this course, very helpful for beginners. Thank you so much Coursera.

By Elsa M M

Sep 14, 2020

It was an amazing learning experience and the instructors taught in a way that every concept was easy to understand.

By SHREYA G

I love this course.The course material is very engaging.The instructors are so good.The simulations are really cool