Back to Astro 101: Black Holes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astro 101: Black Holes by University of Alberta

What is a black hole? Do they really exist? How do they form? How are they related to stars? What would happen if you fell into one? How do you see a black hole if they emit no light? What’s the difference between a black hole and a really dark star? Could a particle accelerator create a black hole? Can a black hole also be a worm hole or a time machine? In Astro 101: Black Holes, you will explore the concepts behind black holes. Using the theme of black holes, you will learn the basic ideas of astronomy, relativity, and quantum physics. After completing this course, you will be able to: • Describe the essential properties of black holes. • Explain recent black hole research using plain language and appropriate analogies. • Compare black holes in popular culture to modern physics to distinguish science fact from science fiction. • Describe the application of fundamental physical concepts including gravity, special and general relativity, and quantum mechanics to reported scientific observations. • Recognize different types of stars and distinguish which stars can potentially become black holes. • Differentiate types of black holes and classify each type as observed or theoretical. • Characterize formation theories associated with each type of black hole. • Identify different ways of detecting black holes, and appropriate technologies associated with each detection method. • Summarize the puzzles facing black hole researchers in modern science....

SK

Jul 30, 2020

i love this course, everything from knowledge to the visual and scientific data, this course amazed me.

i thanking to all the person in this course to sharing this knowledge in such an amazing way

DB

Jul 26, 2020

It is an Excellent course , with no math assignments, if you want to learn Black holes Definitely, this is the course for you , i am looking for another course from same team. Excellent Team Effort.

76 - 100 of 305 Reviews for Astro 101: Black Holes

By CRAN

Sep 8, 2018

Excellent cours. Clair, pédagogique. Les modules sont très bien structurés, en couvrant toute la matière des trous noirs. Félicitations à l'équipe de l'université d'Alberta. J'espère que cette équipe puisse présenter un autre projet !

By XD_ S G

Feb 13, 2022

Awesome course! Will teach you about black holes for sure as the name implies, but along the way you will also learn about, light, doppler shift, relativity, quantum mechanics and much more. Will build a basic foundation on physics.

By Patricia H

Jun 18, 2021

T​his course does a fine job of explaining what was known of black hole physics thru 2017. Ligo information was not complete, with 4 years of observation missing. The staff was easy to understand and definitely knew their subject

By Albert E

Sep 8, 2020

This course is a very good course. I recomend it to everyone who is interested in physics. It has no locked assignments and is also at a beginner level. The content and interaction between the student and teacher is incredible.

By Pauline K

Jan 21, 2021

Very interesting videos in the right pace, easy to understand language of difficult concepts, the right amount of equations, good mix of instructors. I have learned a lot about black holes. It was an interesting experience!

By Monet D

Jan 20, 2021

The content was explained in an understandable manner and the demonstations and animations made easier to learn everything. The course was amazing! Thank you for providing it - especially all the food analogies.

By Gaureesh C

Aug 4, 2020

Fantastic course, loved spending time to study the course content which was very diverse and detailed regarding black holes. Highly recommend everyone to enrol in this course for physics and astronomy knowledge.

By Rajesh K T

Excellent mentors and I am going to publish a paper with knowledge I recieved by lectures . Great to be part of this course. Kindly suggest me some good Astrophysics journals where I can send my paper/ article.

By Harshil k

Apr 29, 2020

I really enjoyed this course . Stars are one of the things that fascinate in my childhood . That leads my interest toward Astronomy . Attending this course is indeed a unforgettable joy for which I was looking.

By Prassanna

Aug 25, 2020

It's a great privilege to learn about black holes.It is the only course available in coursera purely about black holes.So my dear friends please have this course,if you are really have interest in black holes.

By Jwalya O

Mar 19, 2021

HIGHLY INFORMATIVE, EXTREMELY WONDERFUL YET SIMPLIFIED EXPLANATIONS AND AN ABSOLUTE WORTH STUDYING COURSE!!!! Especially to those who're keen to know about the secrets of the black hole, highly recommended.

By Walter M

May 4, 2022

It was great, the quizzes were perfectly fitted to the material, not too mathematically focused, great to spark a new interest in Astronomy! P.S Forum questions were answered in a nice amount of time too!

By Wankhade A V

Nov 1, 2020

I was always fascinated by the actions happening in Space and after doinga a rigorous go through in the course I've completed it. Teaching and conveying was too good also cartoon animation helped me a lot

By Yaniv D

Jan 2, 2021

The course was very interesting . I loved that the expainations used references to known movies and TV shows, it made the more entartaining and made me try to use the formulas I learned in real life.

By Pamela D

Feb 16, 2019

Great course, I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a lot. The graphics and illustrations were fun and informative, and I also enjoyed the food scenes - helped stick it in my memory. Thanks much!

By Lesa Y

Jan 31, 2022

Wow! I take science courses just because I find science fascinating. This course was wonderful! Very clearly explained with great examples. I really learned a lot. Would highly recommend.

By marwan m a g h

Jun 27, 2020

it was a great experience..the staff made a huge effort to make this strange subject easy to learn

after 10 weeks of learning, i have answers to all the questions that i had about black holes.

By Renata B J

Jul 6, 2020

Outstanding use of graphics, formulas, exercises, real-word and fictional examples, and humour (especially with foods) to illustrate what could otherwise be overwhelmingly abstract concepts.

By SIPAK K H

Aug 30, 2020

The course was an amazing journey into description of black holes ranging from stellar mass to supermassive black holes. Thanks Coursera and University of Alberta for this wonderful course.

By MOHAMMED A Q

Jan 15, 2021

Its was amazing to explore the univers and materials like stars and galaxies and balck holes... the faculties are very nice and professional at teaching. I am impressed.. THANKS A LOT ....

By Richard R

Jul 2, 2022

This has been one of the most stimulating and well-presented courses i have encountered online.

Thanks and congratulations to all the people involved in producing this unit on Black Holes.

By Astrophile A

Simply,This course is the best I found in Coursera. It has all Information. I would like that it include some more Mathematics of black Hole. Black hole thermodynamics is great topic.

By Anayeli C

Jun 10, 2020

Lots of new information in my head. Ross, Sharon, Janette and Curtis, they are excellent teachers, I am very grateful to them. For the first time I understand Einstein's relativity.

By Manuel A A G

Nov 21, 2019

I loved this course, because currently it is well for learn. Information about space time is the new Millennial tendency for learn. Thank's for all, and for make me better student.

By chandrasekkar s

Dec 16, 2019

It was a really good course.I learnt a lot about black holes and neutron stars.I thoroughly enjoyed this course and learnt a lot.Thanks a lot ,the faculty at University of Alberta