Back to C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals by University of California, Santa Cruz

This course is for everyone. In the new world we live in, coding is a universally valuable skill, whether you're a scientist, artist, or a humanist. Algorithms are everywhere, and we all have to understand how they work. The C language is particularly well suited as an introduction to coding: It's a tried-and-true language, and it allows you to understand computing processes at a deep level. No prior knowledge of coding is needed for this course. We'll start at the beginning. The time estimated time commitment for this course is five hours a week for five weeks....

MA

Jun 21, 2020

I am really happy I did this course. The instructor is a really experienced teacher. This course gave a good start for learning the fundamentals and moving onto complex programming languages like C++.

CN

Apr 21, 2020

Great course to gain a foundation in C programming! The video lectures, coding examples, and peer reviewing of assignments allows one to learn quick and in real time. Would definitely recommend it.

1451 - 1475 of 1,492 Reviews for C for Everyone: Programming Fundamentals

By Beckett C

Jun 17, 2022

By Marcus M

Oct 5, 2020

This is one of the worst beginner courses on here. It is clearly not for everyone. You cannot call it fundamentals without actually teaching the fundamentals. There is a severe lack of detail in these lessons and a big assumption on the part of the instructor that you have previous knowledge of some of the concepts he’s discussing. I have never received assignments before in which what you are supposed to produce is not something you were taught in the lesson. This course at the very least needs to be renamed. Saying C for Everyone is misleading. Instructor would be great for intermediate/advanced courses but to teach a beginner the assumption must be that we know nothing. Not that we have some obscure but limited knowledge of what you discuss. This is the first coursera course I truly felt lost in and am very dissatisfied by. I would hope this course is revised for future terms.

By Miguel S E

Jun 12, 2022

Even when the course description says that you don't need a lot of previous knowledge about programming, this course requires a lot of time searching by your own a lot of information that is not provided, even for completing the weekly tasks. Specially the beginning is quite frustrating and the professor is not really clear in the most of the classes. Also, the videos are quite poor quality, difficult to understand his handwriting and usually not giving basic information that someone who is learning to programming doesn't have. Also, this is the general attitude at the beginning even for access to the basic tools. How the Lab works is also not very well explained. This is surely not a course for someone "who doesn't have previous knowledge about programming".

By Nandi T

Oct 8, 2021

This man is the worst teacher that i've ever seen! First of all i don't understand why he doesn't do the exercises both on windows vsc and his mac? All of the courses that i've took before and it was for windows and mac the teacher always did 2 videos 1 for windows and the other for mac! The other thing is that this is a beginner course yet he doesn't explain a lot of things! The code he's writing is outdated and if you write the same code in vsc it will give errors! a good example is that the printf function doesn't work anymore and instead the cout << needs to used! 1 star from me!

By Destroyer

Sep 27, 2020

Explanation is worst, he is just reading the lines not even explaining anything, wasted all my money and I didn't even get certificate.... for certificate I need to pay money wow.....this is just nonsense you guys only work for money for learning money and for certificate money what the hell is this....

I am very sad I joined coursera if I joined in some other website I will get good c programming course and certificate also at low cost.... please don't waste every one's time....

By Timmy D

Sep 6, 2021

The course was unorganized. A​ lot of inaccurate code. An example of one was where he declared an array of grade with a constant size. The array couldn't be initialized and I spent at least half an hour to debugged it.

The issue was that "The C99 standard does not allow initialization of variable length arrays ". I had to learn how to use enums or preprocessor macro to fix it which was a topic in the next course "C for Everyone: Structured Programming".

By Tingkang W

Dec 16, 2020

The professor's handwriting note is really hard to read. Homework contains content that have not been taught yet. Many videos teach repeated concepts and some important concepts are not mentioned. The instructor cannot even show a tidy appearance before the screen. Very disappointed to see that this is the largest C and C++ course on Coursera. My course experience on Python, Java and Web Design is far far far better than this course.

By Sudip K M

Feb 20, 2022

There was a good amount of peer-reviewed assignments and quizzes.

However, this course gave just the general overview of the basic concepts and did not dive much into details or give a deep understanding of those fundamental concepts. The instructor's pace is very slow, I had to watch the videos at 1.5x and sometimes at 1.75x speed.

Overall, I am not very satisfied with this course.

By Tabata C

Oct 3, 2021

The professor seems to have lost his passion, his attitude toward the students doesn't feel helpful. I got a vibe of the professor being tired and not really passionate about the course. In one instance, he says, "if this is too difficult or you are uncomfortable doing this find help." He was talking about the ins and outs of compilers and editors and how to install them.

By Darius S

Aug 14, 2021

The course is not suitable for academic purposes. To delve more into the topic and solve the tasks independently, you need to look at learning material on the Internet. Regular bookings of 40 euros per month are unfair. I still can't find cancellation options. For the first time, I am really disappointed with Coursera-platform.

By Avery C

Jul 25, 2021

This course is NOT beginner friendly. You need prior knowledge of what editors and compilers to use, which I do not. He also mentioned in the second video that he wasn't going to take the time to explain which editor and compiler to use and suggests finding help doing so. Very unprofessional for a learning experience. Not good.

By Nour A

Aug 26, 2020

my honest opinion is that this is one of the most difficult courses I have taken, I felt like I did most of the effort myself and didn't learn anything from Dr. Ira Pohl, thank you for the course, but please change your style of teaching in the future, be more active in the videos and to the point, thank you.

By Jorge T

Apr 6, 2021

Incredibly messy, the teacher messes up multiple time and solemnly writes quite confusingly on a white board. The evaluations are happening a week ahead so you can't really do them with the knowledge you acquired from the course. Don't recommend!

By Yasir S

May 7, 2021

I gave up in the first week. The instructor is very boring doesn't bother at all to teach students how to set up different environments on the computer to get started so you are bogged down in the first step basically.

By Rostyslav K

Jun 14, 2021

H​Ws are very poorly designed, they don't test a lot of notions in the course; they are often vague. Some video lectures mention notions that were not presented in the earlier videos (like reference types etc)

By Crystal B

Apr 22, 2022

The instructor is hard to understand, skips explaining steps he is taking, and seems to be teaching exclusively to mac users. I can not follow anything he is doing. I will be unenrolling from this course.

By Manojj V K

Jan 19, 2022

How can I download my certificate ? I am searching for a long time , but I cant find any option for downloading the certificate.Can anyone help me

By Camden C

Jan 24, 2021

I felt the teacher didn't guide students through the material very well and I personally would suggest using a different website for learning c++

By Badr H

Jun 23, 2021

يبدو ان التدريس جيد نوعا ما و لكن الترجمة العربية سيئة و صعب فهمها لانها ترجمة حرفية لدلك سأقوم بالغاء اشتراكي بده الدورة

By Albert H

Jan 14, 2021

The idea that you should use vim or notepad as an editor while programming was maybe true in the 90's, but not today.

By Julien C

Oct 6, 2021

P​oor videos, lazy instructor, no clear objectives and required level, unable to find files to download.

By Niravkumar S C

Oct 3, 2020

Worst presentation and support for 68AUD per week! In this much there can be a personalized course.

By Rigoberto R C

Jan 27, 2021

I would say you can pick another class to learn c or c++ this course is a struggle to want to do.

By ISABELLE L

Dec 31, 2020

Professor gives poor explanations of terms to folks who are at a beginning level.

By Juan A

Jan 25, 2021

it said it's for beginners but it's too hard. How can i pick different courses?