Back to Combinatorics and Probability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Combinatorics and Probability by University of California San Diego

Counting is one of the basic mathematically related tasks we encounter on a day to day basis. The main question here is the following. If we need to count something, can we do anything better than just counting all objects one by one? Do we need to create a list of all phone numbers to ensure that there are enough phone numbers for everyone? Is there a way to tell that our algorithm will run in a reasonable time before implementing and actually running it? All these questions are addressed by a mathematical field called Combinatorics. In this course we discuss most standard combinatorial settings that can help to answer questions of this type. We will especially concentrate on developing the ability to distinguish these settings in real life and algorithmic problems. This will help the learner to actually implement new knowledge. Apart from that we will discuss recursive technique for counting that is important for algorithmic implementations. One of the main `consumers’ of Combinatorics is Probability Theory. This area is connected with numerous sides of life, on one hand being an important concept in everyday life and on the other hand being an indispensable tool in such modern and important fields as Statistics and Machine Learning. In this course we will concentrate on providing the working knowledge of basics of probability and a good intuition in this area. The practice shows that such an intuition is not easy to develop. In the end of the course we will create a program that successfully plays a tricky and very counterintuitive dice game. As prerequisites we assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), basic programming in python (functions, loops, recursion), common sense and curiosity. Our intended audience are all people that work or plan to work in IT, starting from motivated high school students....

SP
Feb 26, 2021

Special thanks to Prof. Vladimir Podolskii and Prof. Alexander S. Kulikov for their amazing explanations and diligent visuals of the concepts as well as problem sets. You Rock!

JC
Sep 8, 2020

It's a perfect introduction to combinatorics and probability, short, fun, and easy to understand. I would like to see more puzzles, those are extremely fun and interesting

101 - 125 of 169 Reviews for Combinatorics and Probability

By Preetam K S

Jul 23, 2020

Mind blown! What a course!

By Parthasaradhi T

Jul 30, 2020

Good!

By GERALD M F B B

Sep 29, 2020

good

By JY M

Apr 4, 2020

In general an enjoyable tour of picking up what I used to know and something new. The first two weeks might seem a bit light if you have a solid fundamental of high school math, but into the third week you are going to see the beef of combinatorics.

Week 4 is probably the trickiest one but indeed the materials are also probably the most difficult to be explained. I think Prof. Shen has tried his best although it was not always very easy to digest. After all, I think if you do go through the quiz sections you should be able to learn something.

Week 5 is the most interesting part to me personally, as I was not very familiar with linearity of expectation and Markov's inequality before. If you are like me, this part will be really brilliant, brain-storming, and lots of fun. I appreciate the effort the staff put in and the proof is easy to follow and the exercises are adequate.

If only thing I'd say I was hoping there could be more touches on continuous probability as well as cdf/pdf. Overall, I really like what I've learnt from this course and I'd like to take the chance here to express my appreciation.