Back to Comparing Genes, Proteins, and Genomes (Bioinformatics III)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Comparing Genes, Proteins, and Genomes (Bioinformatics III) by University of California San Diego

Once we have sequenced genomes in the previous course, we would like to compare them to determine how species have evolved and what makes them different. In the first half of the course, we will compare two short biological sequences, such as genes (i.e., short sequences of DNA) or proteins. We will encounter a powerful algorithmic tool called dynamic programming that will help us determine the number of mutations that have separated the two genes/proteins. In the second half of the course, we will "zoom out" to compare entire genomes, where we see large scale mutations called genome rearrangements, seismic events that have heaved around large blocks of DNA over millions of years of evolution. Looking at the human and mouse genomes, we will ask ourselves: just as earthquakes are much more likely to occur along fault lines, are there locations in our genome that are "fragile" and more susceptible to be broken as part of genome rearrangements? We will see how combinatorial algorithms will help us answer this question. Finally, you will learn how to apply popular bioinformatics software tools to solve problems in sequence alignment, including BLAST....

AH

Aug 19, 2016

A very well taught course that gives you the ins and outs of sequence comparision and introduces chromosme rearrangement analysis in a succint manner. This was

PB

Nov 30, 2017

This course was harder than the previous one, I am happy to have made it to the end!

1 - 19 of 19 Reviews for Comparing Genes, Proteins, and Genomes (Bioinformatics III)

By Ricardo S

Nov 11, 2016

One of the most difficult courses so far, but working hard you made it.

By clearclouds

Jun 19, 2018

Excellent course

By Robert K

Oct 19, 2017

This was intensive, time-consuming, thought-provoking ... pleasure! I really enjoyed it, it took me more time than the schedule proposed, but it was worth it. I liked exploring things on my own, and tampering with the code/algorithms. This part of the course now assumes that you can think intelligently and will do so. Although this is a course in bioinformatics I often found myself laying on the bed with a piece of paper drawing graphs in order to fully grasp what I need to do so my code would be more efficient.

Excellent work! I'll start the next part now.

By Yulan W

Oct 02, 2016

this course is easy understandable and interesting for the beginners!

By Hercules P N

Jun 22, 2017

I have taken courses I, II and III. They were consistently excellent. I plan to go for the next one.

By Luis F R C

Nov 13, 2017

Very challenging but excellent walk through

By chenhyde628

Dec 13, 2016

Good coursera.

By Simon O

May 24, 2018

One of the most challenging courses that I have done.

By Paolo B

Nov 30, 2017

By Weidong X

Sep 18, 2016

a very good course!

By Tobi F

Dec 25, 2016

Take your time, this course is harder than the others. Very worth it though, learned a lot and it was a lot of fun!

By Ayaan H

Aug 19, 2016

By Zack X

Jul 21, 2019

In depth and comprehensive coverage of the topics in genetic data analysis.

By ZIHAN X

Apr 10, 2019

Some content in Stepik might be erroneous...

By Linbo Z

Jul 10, 2017

I think Week 4 and 5 should be explained more. Pseudo-code can be more detailed.

By Yudi,Tian

May 20, 2019

I think I will need some pseudocode in stepik interactive material to complete the code challenge. some part still too confused to me

By Christiane A

Aug 06, 2017

for me this was a very intresting courde where I learined a lot about the research behind genetics especially how difficult it is to interprete the experiemntal data. I also like the mathematical background in graph theory.

Not being a boilogist I miss some extra inforamtion about the biological relevance and would like more pratical exemples before doing the final challenge which I found rather diffucult: only after reviewing my peers I really startd to onderstand the challenge.

What I also miss is the community building aspect. Therre is a forum on every page but the comment are usually very old (3 of more years) so you can't expect to have a dialogue anymore. Problems reported years ago are sill open. I also woud like to know how many learners are currently following this course.