Back to Computer Science: Algorithms, Theory, and Machines

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Computer Science: Algorithms, Theory, and Machines by Princeton University

This course introduces the broader discipline of computer science to people having basic familiarity with Java programming. It covers the second half of our book Computer Science: An Interdisciplinary Approach (the first half is covered in our Coursera course Computer Science: Programming with a Purpose, to be released in the fall of 2018). Our intent is to demystify computation and to build awareness about the substantial intellectual underpinnings and rich history of the field of computer science. First, we introduce classic algorithms along with scientific techniques for evaluating performance, in the context of modern applications. Next, we introduce classic theoretical models that allow us to address fundamental questions about computation, such as computability, universality, and intractability. We conclude with machine architecture (including machine-language programming and its relationship to coding in Java) and logic design (including a full CPU design built from the ground up). The course emphasizes the relationships between applications programming, the theory of computation, real computers, and the field's history and evolution, including the nature of the contributions of Boole, Shannon, Turing, von Neumann, and others. All the features of this course are available for free. No certificate will be offered upon completion....

DC
Jun 10, 2020

I feel the course does a great job in laying out an introduction to "Computer Science", familiarising and motivating the topics, to be covered deeply in the sophomore-junior year.

MA
Nov 8, 2019

I loved this course. If you want to know in depth how your computer works and what you can compute in general, this course is for you. Thank you very much for this amazing course.

51 - 73 of 73 Reviews for Computer Science: Algorithms, Theory, and Machines

By AABIRBHAB N 1

Jun 5, 2020

It was a good career-building course that cover a variety of topics

By Kuirong W

Aug 21, 2020

Great course with good teaching material and a wonderful professor

By Albert C

Aug 7, 2020

This course taught me everything I needed to know about computers.

By Asheesh K

Jul 4, 2020

Awesome overview of the major ideas in computer science.

By lukas g

Oct 21, 2020

The book was of great help. Excellent course!

By Jafarbek U

Jul 23, 2021

Best Introduction to Computer Science

By Francis N N

Feb 9, 2021

informative and rich in context.

By Umar S

Oct 10, 2020

Good Course

By Spencer C

Mar 23, 2021

I really enjoyed this class - I wish it had weekly assignments like Programming with a Purpose and the Algorithms courses do. I think the Princeton CS courses are the best ones on Coursera

By Mattias K

Sep 24, 2020

Good introduction, sometimes it's a bit frustrating to have to memorize the op- codes for the quizzes if you don't have the book though. Otherwise very instructional.

By Eddy P

Feb 2, 2021

compared to the first course, this course still explains each concept clearly but lack of in-depth programming exercises

By Napattarapon P

Sep 10, 2020

Good concept of understanding how computer works. But ,In my opinion, quite hard to follow for the beginner

By Mohamed H

Feb 2, 2021

It's a very good course

i recommend taking this course after knowing some java

By Sale

Aug 12, 2021

very good, but to much going into digital electronics

By Felix K

Sep 16, 2020

great lectures - would be great with exercises

By tecklun

Jun 7, 2020

Great course, easy to digest

By David P B

Aug 16, 2021

T​he book was a marvelous introduction to Computer Science. I got a lot from Professor Sedgewick's insight and overview of the field. I am marking the CS courses down because in the first course, after the third modele, I could not successfully upload my Java programs. Everything went well for the first three modules and then uploading wouldn't work. I have an up to date Macbook Pro. I use the latest MacOS and hace a good ISP. Uploading should have worked.