Back to Data Science Math Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Math Skills by Duke University

Data science courses contain math—no avoiding that! This course is designed to teach learners the basic math you will need in order to be successful in almost any data science math course and was created for learners who have basic math skills but may not have taken algebra or pre-calculus. Data Science Math Skills introduces the core math that data science is built upon, with no extra complexity, introducing unfamiliar ideas and math symbols one-at-a-time. Learners who complete this course will master the vocabulary, notation, concepts, and algebra rules that all data scientists must know before moving on to more advanced material. Topics include: ~Set theory, including Venn diagrams ~Properties of the real number line ~Interval notation and algebra with inequalities ~Uses for summation and Sigma notation ~Math on the Cartesian (x,y) plane, slope and distance formulas ~Graphing and describing functions and their inverses on the x-y plane, ~The concept of instantaneous rate of change and tangent lines to a curve ~Exponents, logarithms, and the natural log function. ~Probability theory, including Bayes’ theorem. While this course is intended as a general introduction to the math skills needed for data science, it can be considered a prerequisite for learners interested in the course, "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel," which is part of the Excel to MySQL Data Science Specialization. Learners who master Data Science Math Skills will be fully prepared for success with the more advanced math concepts introduced in "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel." Good luck and we hope you enjoy the course!...

VC
May 16, 2020

Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills! Thanks a lot! At the time of the study some of the quizzes content were not rendering correctly on mobile devices (both iPad and Android)

RS
May 5, 2020

This was mostly review for me though probability especially Beyes Theorem derivation was new. The instructors provided clear often refreshing ways to look at material.\n\nThank you for a great class!!

1676 - 1700 of 1,870 Reviews for Data Science Math Skills

By AVINASH K

Jun 8, 2020

Nice

By Labib U

Jun 7, 2020

good

By AVALA S

Jun 2, 2020

Good

By Sunil R

Jun 1, 2020

Gooo

By Mitesh M

May 13, 2020

good

By TEJASWINI D

May 7, 2020

GOOD

By Prateek

May 4, 2020

good

By SREERAM S

Apr 10, 2020

good

By Jay Y

May 7, 2020

By Amin A

Sep 4, 2019

By Nagaraj A M

May 9, 2019

By Lauren D

Nov 1, 2020

I felt like this course was just okay, especially when compared with the Intro to Calculus course from the University of Sydney. The problem I had was that the quizzes often required applying more difficult scenarios than the examples in the video explained. I think it should be the other way around - videos should prepare you to solve difficult problems, but quizzes should not present scenarios that the student has not had experience with. It would've been helpful if they had provided notes to go along with the examples. I also felt like equal amounts of time were spent on very easy concepts and difficult, complicated concepts. I don't need an entire video on calculating the slope of a line, but I do probably need more background on all of these probability scenarios and how they play out in real life situations. I found on the Week 4 quiz I was just scratching my head and trying random formulas.

By Brendan S

May 6, 2017

I definitely learned a lot in this course, and, as someone who has historically avoided mathematics, I think it is a fairly good introduction to these concepts for people at my level. However, I think the course was somewhat inconsistent. The final module could really use some more explanation and examples. Probability is a very abstract field, and it can be difficult to take real world examples and translate them into formulas. I think that the module would benefit greatly from spending some extra time on translating english-language situations into formulas. There were also some non-trivial errors in the videos that need to be corrected. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the course but I think it doesn't yet fill out its potential.

By Fereshteh K

Jul 26, 2020

The first two weeks of the course were well explained. But when it came to the probability, the course was confusing so that I had to search for more sources and learn from YouTube. I have been away from math for a long time, so I took this course which is described as for the beginners. I was extremely confused and disappointed about myself for not understanding the concept of Bayes Theorem for example. But when I checked other sources on YouTube, I could understand it easily and only then I was able to answer the quiz questions. So many basic concepts such as Tree diagram which are extremely helpful for grasping the theories and using them in real life situations were not even mentioned.

By Jean-Baptiste B

Aug 24, 2020

Pretty good, overall the explanations are clear and the exercises/practice quizzes are really useful to understand the material.

Negative points: the last part on Bayes' Rule and the Binomial Theorem is a bit too fast, and I needed to supplement it by external material to fully understand it. And it would have been great to have a part about linear algebra and maybe calculus, but I guess there were some time and financial constraints that did not allow that.

I still recommend this course, that's a really good refresher or intro. You'll need to supplement it by other material, though.

By William M

Oct 11, 2020

The positives first: Brought me up to speed on important statistics and probability information for my future career.

The not so good: The second instructor does not need to show his face. That was very distracting.

There was no working often provided in the course notes. Sometimes when I would work through a problem I would make one calculation error and couldn't easily figure out which one it was. I would prefer if they would show each calculation step by step. That would have made things a LOT faster and easier. Instead I relied to brainly, which is a great website.

By Essa

Nov 10, 2020

I think the first two weeks were great but the probability explanations could be better. I'm sure Edgar is a great scientist but he's not very organized and the videos are very cluttered (not everyone is fit to teach just because they are in the industry). The topics covered in the probability portion of this course are better explained on free sites like Khan. I took this course to have a better understanding of the binary classification portion of the referenced specialization but don't think I gained a good understanding of the material from this course alone.

By Lucia S

Nov 12, 2018

The course started nice and well explained, there are some useful info missing, e.g. what is Euler's constant and why is it defined as it is and then more practice examples would be also welcome. All that would be fine and I would have given the course full 5 stars, but I felt really discouraged with so many errors in the practice quizes and even in the last graded quiz. Additionally, it was a bit annoying that I could not finish the quiz on my phone as in one of the questions there was only the problem and the possible answers visible, not the question itself.

By Benjamin D

Sep 23, 2017

If you are familiar with the concepts in this course, it will be fine. If, however, you happen to discover them for the first time here, the instructors go so quickly in their explanations that you'll end up with a high level of frustration.

When it comes to statistics, fewer concepts introduced per video, and more examples of each concepts would have been a better approach for real beginners.

Finally, don't believe you've acquired the "math skills" necessary for data science just by following this course. In this, the title can be seriously misleading.

By Man D

Apr 4, 2020

The first Half of this course is wonderful. Well presented, interesting and something to look forward to. The second half is done by a different teacher, is confusing, disorganized and and time would be better spent elsewhere. I highly recommend the first half though, and then looking at the topics list for the second half and go elsewhere for those. There are some great recommendations of others videos and courses to cover the 2nd halves content in the course forum as it appears it was a common issue among students.

By Jeremy E

Oct 11, 2020

About half of the concepts in the course were new, half a review of topics I studied in high school, about 15 years ago. For the review topics, this was a good refresher and the concepts came back quickly. For the topics I hadn't studied before, I felt like there wasn't enough explanation to fully understand the topics, and I had to seek out additional explanation outside the course. There could be more opportunities to practice and reinforce the concepts discussed in the lectures before moving onto the quizzes.

By David S D

Jan 26, 2018

This course was a good refresher to some important math concepts needed for further study of statistics and data science. Most of the modules and videos were clear and easy to follow. However, I found the module on probability to be confusing and overly complex in its structure and explanations. For those with stronger math skills than me, it's probably a fairly easy course. I found it appropriately challenging, and for the most part it built my confidence in this important area.

By Amber H M

Nov 18, 2020

This course moves very quickly and you will need a scientific Calculator. I was never the best in math, and this gave me a solid view point of the maths I will need to learn better to focus on data science. If you are good with Maths, this might be a great refresher. I worked with a Tutor and got through it, But week 3 I think the videos are out of order, or could be ordered differently. Anyway, I was very challenged and now know exactly where to apply my energy.

By Lucas L S

Jan 31, 2018

The course should be a guide text with very detail readings, with a lot of solved examples (complex ones) step by step. The readings should also explain very weel what I'm doing and why I'm doing each step, and in the end explain the exercise as a whole.

The practice quizzes should bring very real life examples (as thouse of VBS tests) and they have to match de guide text.

The videos should be made only from the most comum doubts and mistakes in the practice quizzes.

By Maria S

Feb 19, 2020

I found the first two.5 modules very well done. However, the second half of week three and week four were very poorly done. I am still uncertain about the applications of Bayes' theorem and the combination/permutation concepts. I had a very difficult time with the last quiz and had to go elsewhere to actually learn what I needed to, and even so, I still do not understand the approach to solving some of the problems. Quite frustrating and not rewarding.