Back to Data Science Math Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Math Skills by Duke University

Data science courses contain math—no avoiding that! This course is designed to teach learners the basic math you will need in order to be successful in almost any data science math course and was created for learners who have basic math skills but may not have taken algebra or pre-calculus. Data Science Math Skills introduces the core math that data science is built upon, with no extra complexity, introducing unfamiliar ideas and math symbols one-at-a-time. Learners who complete this course will master the vocabulary, notation, concepts, and algebra rules that all data scientists must know before moving on to more advanced material. Topics include: ~Set theory, including Venn diagrams ~Properties of the real number line ~Interval notation and algebra with inequalities ~Uses for summation and Sigma notation ~Math on the Cartesian (x,y) plane, slope and distance formulas ~Graphing and describing functions and their inverses on the x-y plane, ~The concept of instantaneous rate of change and tangent lines to a curve ~Exponents, logarithms, and the natural log function. ~Probability theory, including Bayes’ theorem. While this course is intended as a general introduction to the math skills needed for data science, it can be considered a prerequisite for learners interested in the course, "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel," which is part of the Excel to MySQL Data Science Specialization. Learners who master Data Science Math Skills will be fully prepared for success with the more advanced math concepts introduced in "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel." Good luck and we hope you enjoy the course!...

VS
Sep 22, 2020

This course syllabus is great. It starts wonderfully. Week 1 to 4 is taught by Paul Bendich, and Daniel Egger the instruction is awesome. Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills!

RS
May 5, 2020

This was mostly review for me though probability especially Beyes Theorem derivation was new. The instructors provided clear often refreshing ways to look at material.\n\nThank you for a great class!!

176 - 200 of 1,963 Reviews for Data Science Math Skills

By Irvin

Explanation and notes were very concise, although the learning curve for the probability portion is a little steep. Able to rewatch and google until you grasp the concept

By Sir P

Nov 7, 2020

This course is really great! It helps me refresh my knowledge on basic math skills and have a further understanding of how to apply these concepts in real life scenario.

By Nakshatra G

Jan 15, 2021

It is a great course to get knowledge of some important and very basic mathematics used in machine learning. It is a well-taught course. The instructors are very good.

By liqiang

Feb 13, 2018

This should be my first most completed course on Coursera, although the last quiz overdue. Probability is hard to me, so I've learned a lot during this course, thanks!

By Ana P P D

Apr 27, 2020

It has really helped me understand a lot of mathematical principles, however i think the explanations of the first professor were more understandable and easy to get.

By ANSARI A M Y

Apr 24, 2020

its very nice , amazing course

i have cleared my many concepts

requesting you to explain few more examples on joint probability and based on probability topic.

By SARATHKUMAR E

Apr 15, 2020

Started from basic stuff but when things were getting interesting, the course got completed. Wish a few more topics should have been included in the probability topic

By shivashish p

Jun 27, 2020

It is a course that led me to understand these topics from basics although I had studied all this but here it gives another dimension to my understanding. Thank you!

By Lasal J

Oct 26, 2020

The lecturers were very clear when they explained the concepts and it was very easy to understand. Especially how the lecturer approached Bayes theorem was spot on.

By Civan L K

Sep 29, 2020

even though I have had some background before the course, I took this course as a refreshment and it definitely helped me a lot especially week4 with Bayes theorem.

By Gaikwad M

Apr 30, 2020

Very helpful and interesting. I truly loved this course and I believe this gonna help me in my upcoming future.. Thank you so much for such an adorable opportunity.

By vani s

May 24, 2019

Really Really very interesting from the beginning till the end. Instructor videos are excellent. Thank you so much and waiting for these kind of courses in future.

By Sumit K

Nov 17, 2020

Its one of the amazing course where i accomplished a great sense of Data Science with Maths.

Many Thanks to Duke University and Prof. Daniel Egger and Paul Bendich.

By Swaviman K

May 8, 2019

Very well explained concepts. The probability portion was the best. Baye's theorem & Binomial theorem were very interesting. I had a very nice learning experience.

By Kelly C D

Aug 19, 2018

I haven't taken a formal math class in almost a decade, and this was a very "gentle" welcome-back to the quantitative realm :) thanks to the team behind the magic

By Aninkan G

Apr 30, 2020

The quizzes were tough and challenging. Overall the course curriculum is outstanding. Thank you Coursera and Duke University for providing such wonderful course.

By Dmitry T

Jul 6, 2020

It is an excellent course to bring back all that school and university Math:) Great examples, learning materials and training tests! Many thanks to the authors!

By Shamshulla S

May 4, 2020

It was very good experience. But certificate reciveng is a very difficult process. I completed my first course but I didn't received my course certificate yet.

By Vishv S

Apr 7, 2020

Best knowledge given by Professors with detailed real life examples. It was an amazing experience by learning from the Professors of renowned Duke University.

By Subodh A

Jul 31, 2020

The course was very helpful in giving the detailed basic math required for Data Science.

The concepts are explained nicely and one can easily understand them.

By Tiffany L

Jul 4, 2020

Both professors made this course extremely easy to follow. The first three weeks were good review to refresh my memory, and I learned a lot in the last week!

By 138_Ashish B

Jun 3, 2020

This course is exceptionally very good. The way the professors helped me to grasp the concept was amazing. They taught from basics and cleared all my doubts.

By Raviranjan K

Apr 15, 2020

This course is really helpful for data science (not only) other students can also learn this. The content of this course is very good and easy to understand.

By Samuel J

Oct 4, 2019

I am a high school sophomore and I loved this course. I learned so much in a short period of time. Now I want to go into data science as a career. Thank you!

By Mantha P

Apr 26, 2020

This course provides very basics about some of maths concepts and I became able to recall those basics and learnt how to apply these concepts in daily life.