Back to Data Science Math Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Math Skills by Duke University

Data science courses contain math—no avoiding that! This course is designed to teach learners the basic math you will need in order to be successful in almost any data science math course and was created for learners who have basic math skills but may not have taken algebra or pre-calculus. Data Science Math Skills introduces the core math that data science is built upon, with no extra complexity, introducing unfamiliar ideas and math symbols one-at-a-time. Learners who complete this course will master the vocabulary, notation, concepts, and algebra rules that all data scientists must know before moving on to more advanced material. Topics include: ~Set theory, including Venn diagrams ~Properties of the real number line ~Interval notation and algebra with inequalities ~Uses for summation and Sigma notation ~Math on the Cartesian (x,y) plane, slope and distance formulas ~Graphing and describing functions and their inverses on the x-y plane, ~The concept of instantaneous rate of change and tangent lines to a curve ~Exponents, logarithms, and the natural log function. ~Probability theory, including Bayes’ theorem. While this course is intended as a general introduction to the math skills needed for data science, it can be considered a prerequisite for learners interested in the course, "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel," which is part of the Excel to MySQL Data Science Specialization. Learners who master Data Science Math Skills will be fully prepared for success with the more advanced math concepts introduced in "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel." Good luck and we hope you enjoy the course!...

VS
Sep 22, 2020

This course syllabus is great. It starts wonderfully. Week 1 to 4 is taught by Paul Bendich, and Daniel Egger the instruction is awesome. Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills!

RS
May 5, 2020

This was mostly review for me though probability especially Beyes Theorem derivation was new. The instructors provided clear often refreshing ways to look at material.\n\nThank you for a great class!!

201 - 225 of 1,963 Reviews for Data Science Math Skills

By Minho C

Jul 10, 2020

The readings that come with the video's are a must; extremely helpful. I needed this course to cope my mathematics skills which I took a break for 3 years.

By Mr. C C

May 4, 2020

the lectures are really very resourceful and enlightening. I learnt so many things. I enjoyed myself while learning thanks to coursera and the instructors.

By Marisa R H

Jan 25, 2018

I've been having practices about probability and other resources and it has been all so clear an with a lot of examples. Thanks a lots for the experience!

By Krishna K K

May 6, 2020

Great for beginners/intermedite and course contain the most minimal (but absolute essential)requirement for data science programmers,thanks to professors

By Yeasir m s

Jun 7, 2020

It's one of the best course I have done.The lecture and professor is just awesome ,the instructor is very efficient.Would miss the instructor's lecture.

By Muhammad A E A

It has been a great opportunity to refresh my math skills and enrich my knowledge , this course is highly recommended for math and Engineering Students.

By Prajval P

Apr 25, 2020

The theory is explained in a very simple way which makes it easy to understand and the examples given are very relatable and eases the learning process.

By SHRABANI D

Jul 25, 2020

A very comprehensive and well explained course. For someone with a healthcare background this course very helpful as introduction to basic math skills.

By Rohit K

May 23, 2020

It was a very good course and refreshed my basics. The quizzes very helpful and tracking progress was very easy. I am very thankful to the instructors.

By Anubhav R

Apr 4, 2020

All it was good! Probability was awesome assignments were not easy so I loved the week 4 section so much! Thanks, Coursera to help to upgrade my skill.

By Caroline C

Sep 4, 2018

Great course, but the Bayes' Theorem bit could have been simplified a bit more and/or more examples could have been added in. Overall highly recommend.

By Calvin

Dec 9, 2019

The course is refreshing my function and probability skills, as well as adding new knowledge that is Bayes inverse conditional probability. Thank you!

By Thamsanqa M

Jul 30, 2020

This is an exceptional course. Im all the way in South Africa, Thank you for this great opportunity to finally challenge myself and improve my maths.

By Monish K

Jul 16, 2020

My certificate is not real.Sign of teacher on certificate is past not by running hand.

file:///C:/Users/monish/Desktop/Coursera%20XV7WTXVA2VTJ.pdf

By Syeda I F

Apr 24, 2020

Thank you for the course. It is good enough to regrow the passion of learning data science math and to go deep down in the path of machine learning.

By Bahareh a

Nov 9, 2020

Thank you that was very nice, especially in Algebra. I think just in part of "Probability", week four, it was a bit ambiguous. once again thanks.

By Pranav T V

Sep 13, 2017

Very informative course explained in a very clear and understanding manner. Thanks a lot for the people involved in making this course a reality.

By Yahya M

Oct 12, 2020

Good course to test the basic math skills and the probability quiz is so hard and I loved it, please update the course content as per the quiz.

By Julie K

Jun 3, 2020

There are resources provided with this course, that made remembering old calculus lessons and university courses a breeze! I highly recommend!

By Nisha r p

May 22, 2020

This is very amezing course for data science student . if you want professtion data science in your company then first clear u r mathemathics.

By Pablo A U A

Jan 6, 2021

Excellent course!

Maybe it will be nice if you could explain a little better the statistics part, it was hard to understand Bayesian Theorem.

By juan v

Jul 17, 2020

Good course. I wish there cover calculus topics like integrals but otherwise covers most of the topics that you need to know to data science.

By Aftab A

Mar 20, 2019

This course is really helpful to data science student.I was very weak in probability and statistics but this course really polish my skills.

By Sanket G

Apr 29, 2020

Its nice and quite harder than I thought..........

but I really enjoyed this course and their contents thanks for teaching

wish you Good Day

By Abraham E C

May 4, 2020

I enjoyed the videos the most. The examples were quite simple and well structured, easy to manage and understand without additional notes.