Back to Everyday Chinese Medicine

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Everyday Chinese Medicine by The Chinese University of Hong Kong

This course aims to serve as an education platform on Chinese medicine (CM) for the general public. Our primary goal is to empower healthcare choices by promoting awareness and practical application on CM diagnostic and therapeutic approaches, as well as regulation on CM services and herbal products using international examples. In the first part of this course, learners will develop skills in applying basic theory of Chinese medicine (CM) for understanding health and illnesses, and be able to compare and contrast views from Chinese and western medicine perspectives. In the second part, learners will be able to diagnose their own CM body constitution, and to apply appropriate CM self-care practice including food therapy, acupressure, Baduanjin and meditation. Learners will also be able to identify commonly used Chinese herbs, and to describe the core principle of acupuncture. Specific competencies include: 1. State the basic theory of Chinese medicine and compare it with the principle of western medicine. 2. Apply the diagnostic approach of Chinese medicine and describe one’s body constitution. 3. Describe the core principle of Chinese herbs and acupuncture, and to understand their role in promoting health and wellness. 4. Develop self-care plan according to body constitution, using the practice of food therapy, acupressure, and Baduanjin....

AA
Feb 19, 2019

My interest in herbalism and alternate medicine brought me to this course. It was very informative indeed and I made notes often. The tests are also to the point. Thank you, professors and Coursera!

AP
Dec 28, 2020

A very nice program for understanding the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Quite analogous to the Ayurvedic Medicine that deals with imbalance of vata (air), pittha (fire) and kapha (cold).

26 - 50 of 245 Reviews for Everyday Chinese Medicine

By Jhoy S

Nov 4, 2018

I hope after this course, there will be next level course suggestions on Chinese Medicine if I wanted to learn more than the basic. It will be good also if the discussion will include more detailed examples and lessons because I think the exams are very easy to pass (or maybe I just listened well ;) ). Thank you.

By Moriko S

Mar 31, 2021

Definitely I am so exciting to learn Chinese Medicine as collaborative knowledge. Chinese medicine giving a new perspective to treat the patient and many benefit can applying to cure the patient. I hope that I can finisih the chinese medicine. Thank to the All Lecturer on this course and Coursera.

By N C

May 12, 2020

I wanted to learn about alternative, more 'natural' forms of medicine as I've always found these to work better for minor maladies. I was impressed by the course as it gave the important fundamental theories with explanations, and went on to explain common sicknesses. Overall, a very useful course!

By J.D. M

Overall, a great course. Very easy to understand and well put together lectures. The quizzes were challenging and covered a large breadth of knowledge. The readings also supplemented the material very well. Am looking forward to using this to supplement my doctoral chinese medicine work.

By Marta d L C

Mar 10, 2021

Wonderful course, considers the human being integrated with nature in health care, in addition, it demonstrates how our organism works in unity. Excellent teaching, which allows people from other cultures to understand the basis of this gift for humanity, which is Chinese medicine.

By MIGUEL A V C

Aug 15, 2020

This is a great course. It is somehow introductory but the explanations are great, perfectly detailed and the use of diagrams and illustrations helps a lot. I hope you can continue offering this type of courses (on TCM) online here or directly from your department webpage.

Thanks.

By Chan I K

Jun 4, 2020

Intensive yet precisely include the essence of the basic Chinese Medicine knowledge in the course and present the knowledge in an easy to comprehend manner, recommend for anyone who are interested in stepping into the miraculous world of Traditional Chinese Medicine.

By Mairearad N

Aug 2, 2020

A beginner friendly dive into traditional Chinese medicine! The lectures are clear (and the quizzes can have tricky bits) but very interesting especially for those interested in Confucianism and qi. I'll definitely be continuing my studies on the follow up course.

By Kun W T

Dec 9, 2020

It was very fruitful to have the chance to study TCM in English version. TCM is very different from Western Medical study. This angle of medical view is certainly very useful and I believed that TCM will become parts of medical study syllabus in time to comes.

By Lara L

Jun 26, 2020

Excellent detailed introduction course to Chinese Medicine! The video lectures went into perfect depth and the optional readings went into extreme depth. Both supplement one another very well and I feel I am able to diagnose myself accurately as well as others!

By MARIA C Z D

Nov 8, 2020

He aprendido muchas nociones sobre la medicina china que desconocía. Me ha resultado algo mas difícil por tener que ir traduciendo al español ya aunque algunos apartados estaban traducido no lo estaba la totalidad del curso asi como los exámenes tampoco.

By Miriam M

Mar 29, 2020

Really great course! Very easy to follow and gives a very good idea of Chinese Medicine, i highly recommend it for anyone interested in the topic. The only thing missing, that is probably related to coursera, is to be able to download the whole course.

By Rose R

Apr 25, 2020

Absolutely informative! great introduction to actual Chinese Medicine. it is my dream to become a Chinese Medicine Practitioner! and this opened me up to more about what I will hopefully one day be practicing daily!

Thank you so much for this course!

By DAI J

Jun 4, 2021

I find it very difficult to understand. Well that's why not everyone can be a doctor. It's very different from western medicine hence we need to empty our glass to fill it with new knowledge e.g. linking yin and yang and five elements to our organs.

By Yaki W

Nov 1, 2018

Great content and intro to TCM! As a bilingual student I wish the course was conducted in Chinese with English subtitles. This would allow me to calibrate what I already know in Chinese and learn the terms to explain it to an English audience.

By Tatiane B T L

Nov 18, 2019

I really enjoyed the course, having contributed to the application of the knowledge I am already seeking. I suggest that the opposite number of hours appear on the back of the certificate. This information was missing.

By Kemmy L

Apr 1, 2021

Excellent course with comprehensive detail and explained with clear diagrams and summarising tables. Explanation is also direct and straight forward. Love this course and look forward to the Part 2. Thank you.

By JÚLIA C

Mar 3, 2021

The course is very enlightening, it was formulated gradually, generating an easy line of understanding. I loved to know more about this side of medicine that is so little talked about in my country in Brazil.

By luis

Jul 31, 2019

faltaría añadir el tema de la acupresión y acupuntura como tambien tecnicas y remedios pero para explicar el tema de Qi y hacer un anlisis esta bien lo siguiente es ir adquiriendo mas conocimientos.

By Amber

Feb 20, 2019

By Luis R H S O

Aug 23, 2018

magnificente i really love it but the chinesse speaking engish was to complicated dont got a lot of explanation. but in general was awesome and reinforce my chinese medicine concepts and practice

By Anand P

Dec 29, 2020

By Fantin C

Aug 10, 2020

I am a TCM student, and I deeply appreciated both the high quality of the contents, and the excellent pedagogy of this course. I feel grateful to have access to it, and highly recommend it.

By María J L M

Jan 6, 2021

Muy buen curso como introducción a la MTC. Me volvería a inscribir. Y si programan otro curso de nivel más avanzado para profundizar en los conocimientos adquiridos, lo haré también.