Back to Everyday Parenting: The ABCs of Child Rearing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Everyday Parenting: The ABCs of Child Rearing by Yale University

Everyday Parenting gives you access to a toolkit of behavior-change techniques that will make your typical day in the home easier as you develop the behaviors you would like to see in your child. The lessons provide step-by-step instructions and demonstrations to improve your course of action with both children and adolescents. Among many techniques, you will learn how even simple modifications to tone of voice and phrasing can lead to more compliance. The course will also shed light on many parenting misconceptions and ineffective strategies that are routinely used. The key to the course is practice. It is not enough to know the strategies; you have to do them to reap the rewards. Using the techniques on a temporary basis will lead to permanent change. Chances are your parenting is perfectly fine and working the way you would like. But if you have any frustrations with your child or would like improve your effectiveness in changing your child’s behavior, these videos will be a very useful guide. Subtitles available in Chinese and Spanish....

NB
Nov 6, 2019

Such amazing course, it’s useful and joyful to learn all the way through. I love it ! Thank you Coursera make learning easy to learn and share , I see the power of knowledge by E- sharing ! Wonderful!

SB
Oct 12, 2017

This is a must to do course for parents to be, parents and teachers. We need to build physically and mentally strong kids in future for this we need to adapt to these simple steps as per this course.

26 - 50 of 780 Reviews for Everyday Parenting: The ABCs of Child Rearing

By Nory L P

Nov 25, 2020

Very useful tools!!! It definitely gave me concrete ideas how to deal and cope with the behavior of my own child. Perhaps in version 2, a portion of the lecture will include explaining the reasons behind these tools. For example, for the special praise, -the steps, application, and goals of this tool was well presented. BUT it may also be helpful to know as parents WHY ecstatic appreciation works in changing behavior. There was a mention on negative bias, but its curios to know the mental or cognitive processes that praise unlocks which will eventually lead to behavior. Over-all, great course!

By Jeff B

Oct 14, 2019

I was a social worker decades ago, so had quite a lot of training in dealing with children, tweens and teenagers; however, now that I am a parent - struggling at times to develop the needed behavior in our children - so I needed to up my parenting game. This course was well-constructed and presented and covered all the bases I needed.

I HIGHLY recommend this course to all parents and look forward to my spouse completing it as well, cause it's gonna get us onto the same page and help us to help our kiddos to develop the life skills and behavioral patterns that they will surely need to thrive.

By Monique E

Dear Prof. Kazdin,

As a nursery teacher this course has been fantastic for me, providing very useful tools for my work and also for my private life with our two children. Its a pitty I didn't know these tools years ago, but it's never too late to get better! :)

I look forward to use them after the Corona Lockdown is over, Have often thought about different children, situations and tools I can apply and I'm sure, we'll have a challenging good time.

My deepest respect and thanks for sharing your vast experience with us!

Best greetings and God bless you always!

Monique Escamilla

By Kathleen T

May 22, 2020

Thank-you Dr. Kazdin.

This course was very valuable.

I teach parenting and I will be communicating this information to my students.

Thank you for the guidance.

It would be amazing if you created a course specifically for teachers on behaviour and classroom management. It is the most challenging part of our job and most of us don't have any training in it beyond baptism by fire.

I would have liked a second example at the end perhaps involving teenagers and technology in the classroom.

Fantastic information. Great delivery. I am so pleased I decided to take it.

By Varad D

Feb 13, 2021

I highly recommend this course for all parents and to be parents.

Dr. Alan's this course has helped me develop a better relationship with my loved ones, probably changing the course of our lives, and I cannot thank him enough for that. Using his techniques and ideas, we have started to develop a much better atmosphere to raise our children.

We may have demands/unreachable-goals/ambitions (for our children) embedded in our thought process, but his work/class has helped me realize my areas of improvement, and I plan to embed his teachings in our daily lives.

By Salar S

May 14, 2018

Absolutely phenomenal course. Going well beyond being just a helpful parenting class, this course is a downright public service to society. Kazdin is incredibly engaging, genuinely cares about the topic, and explains things in a clear, concise, and organized way. Best of all, the material is carefully vetted by years of scientific research, yet takes into account the practical considerations of real life parenting. At home, we call his techniques a "magic wand". I highly encourage parents of children of any age to take this course.

By Sangeeta C

May 6, 2021

Excellent course. Very systematically planned and presented. All techniques and strategies discussed are so important and helpful for all the stakeholders. The entire programme is so effective and efficiently structured and makes the learner feel so empowered. I as a parent and a Counsellor have gained so much which I will definitely share with all my friends and family. Indeed a great and fulfilling experience. Parenting and child Rearing is indeed beautiful. Thank you so much Professor Kazdin for giving this valuable experience.

By 罗芳

Apr 7, 2018

Very Practical and easy to apply at home, I am going to ask all my family members and colleges to follow the course, and after the completion of the course, it is very handy for me to go back for the unit and review it again and again, especially after using it and find out it really works. Great course and well designed. Highly appreciated for the reading pieces shared after every unit, I have download all of them one by one and it provides a better background to support the learner for the course.

By Jeannette R

Aug 19, 2018

Thanks! this class provided me with a great guidance as to identify the behaviors I should care to change and those I can tolerate while I focus in others that are relevant. Also, the tools and techniques were explained in a very easy practical way. Now, I need to do the hard part, practice! I am confident I will do much better in helping my child to behave in a positive way and handling situations with a different approach which will reduce my stress and increase the potential for success. :-)

By Martin S

May 15, 2020

Professor Kazdin is very engaging, it is fun and motivating to watch his lectures.

The contents is well-structured, and the most important points are repeated from time to time, so they really stuck. Many real-life examples illustrate the techniques. The parenting techniques themselves make a lot of sense, and -- most importantly -- are simple enough to implement at home.

Because my new-born is too young to try the techniques on him, I cannot elaborate on the effectiveness of the techniques.

By Sara A M S

Aug 11, 2020

It does have a slight US focus but this is the only slightly negative feature of this course. I can truly recommend this course to any parent independent of the age of the kid. Really easy to understand and very applicable to the everyday challenges of a parent. If you want some nudges on how you can become a (even) better parent - this course if for you. It gives you a tool box of different parenting approaches and it's then up to you to decide which tools are most applicable for you.

By Yukiko S

Feb 14, 2020

This course was the answer to all the questions about childhood experiences and behavioral issues. I would recommend this course to anyone because the Professor Kazdin teaches the right approaches about all the different methodologies parents tend to take, e.g., the effective punishment that changes the children's behavior, the process to take to keep them motivated, and so on. The course is pretty concise and to the point. Overall the course was very practical and a lot to learn.

By Chikezie R O

Jan 27, 2021

My name is Rosemary Oluchi Chikezie. I’m a caregiver.The ABCs of child Rearing is indeed an incredible course, it has really increased my love for children and helped me a lot in taking care of my amazing niece😘😘and other children around me. Thanks a million to the Director of the Yale parenting center. Dr. Alan kazdin professor of psychology and child psychiatry . You’re an amazing teacher sir. I like your methods of teaching and I enjoyed all your lessons👍👍👍

Best Regards.

By Fahim T

This course is very nice, easy to understand and systematic. I really enjoyed learning from this course. Each videos are long enough to get engaged and learn something and not to get bored. The delivery is amazing. It is systematic, easy to understand and right to the point with some specific examples. Thank you to Coursera and all those unknown nice people who make this course available. A special thank you to Dr.Kazdin for the amazing delivery and cool looking personality.

By Anghelina

Mar 27, 2020

The best course to helping parents, or nannies as me, to change behavior and help the child to be happy too!! I highly recommend to everyone.

And Professor is the best! 10 stars! Super. He has passion to teach and passion to help families and children. I was motivated since day 1 to the end, and when it finishes I felt sad because I wanted to keep learning! =) Thank you Professor!! I really enjoyed each of the classes and videos =) All super clear!! Muchas Gracias!!

By Andrea O

Apr 24, 2020

Learnt so much about how to deal with tantrums of my toddler. I could use what I have learnt here in the course with my toddler who I felt was getting out of hand. Even the way the acted out when we did the wrong thing, was explained in the course and I was blown away. The level of accuracy in this course is amazing. Thank you so much form me and my 3 year old, even though he doesn't know it, I feel like a better parent now for him than I did before this course.

By mae

Oct 2, 2017

Perfect course for everyone not only for parent. I've leant a lot about children and misbelieved about child rearing. This course give me more confident to understand children and their behavior including the 'technique' and 'how to' which simple and easy to adapt into the any situations. The course structure are well planned with basic outline prior to the lecture and summary at the end of each video. Thank you again for all the great work of creator team.

By Amy K

May 3, 2018

Every parent should take this course. Dr. Kazdin teaches you how to use and employ powerful tools afor developing well-adjusted and well-behaved children and young adults. Many parents have the right ideas, but execute their methods ineffectively-- Dr. Kazdin clearly explains the what's, how's, and why's of effective parenting to get parents back on the right track. A few hours with these lectures will save you much time and frustration down the road!

By Aaron S

Jun 25, 2018

I thought there was a lot of valuable information.I will keep applying it in me and my child's life .I have seen huge improvement in both of our live's .I wanted to thank you for the opportunity. I have passed the class with a 87.4%.is there any way to get a Pharisaical certificate sent to me from yale that would mean the world to memy address is 211 laurel ST. Shelton WA. 98584 sincerely Aaron Smith

By Hatem A

Feb 7, 2019

The course starts slow with the basics , and how it can be applied in a special way to make them more effective. Then binds different techniques and show how work together. It also addresses the common misconceptions that lead to applying wrong techniques and not adopting the recommended ones.

As advised by the course, results will not come by learning only. Results come with continuous practice.

By MD F U

Aug 16, 2020

It is an amazing course for parents, early grade teachers or the individuals who want to establish his career in child education or child improvement project like me. As a parent, educator and an individual wishing to build career in child education and improvement area, I have learnt a great deal of effective, useful and scientific methods to be used to change child behavior and improvement.

By Mustafa N

Mar 5, 2018

This is an excellent course which I'd recommend to anyone looking to improve their general outlook on not just children's behaviour, or shaping that behaviour, but also their own behaviour. Thank you Yale University and Coursera for this fantastic course. And thank you Prof. for doing such a good job. I'd like to consider taking any other courses you might be designing or helping to design.

By Alper U

Jul 31, 2020

It is useful to learn behavioral techniques to change your child's behaviors and teach him/her new good behaviors. It may also be helpful for professionals who will or do work with children or parents to learn effective techniques. The course has a big emphasis on behavior. Dealing with emotions, effective communication, etc. are the things that you should not expect from this course.

By KARTHIKA D

Aug 17, 2020

It was good attending the class of Everyday Parenting: The ABC's of Child Rearing. It's not only a subject of my interest but also in my view, it's something that would help me to work it out throughout in my future life too. The classes were really good . They are successful in pointing out all the basics that we have to practice in our child inorder to change their behaviour.

By Panchshil D

Mar 30, 2021

Thank you for the engaging and educational course! I gained really great knowledge that I will definitely use in my work with children and with my children at home. The course leader Dr. Alen Kazdin is fantastic! he is really great mentor. he taught in a very simple and innovate way, i really express my gratitude form bottom of my heart to him thank you again.