Back to Exploring Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas Part 2

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Exploring Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas Part 2 by Curtis Institute of Music

5.0

Welcome to Part 2 of Exploring Beethoven's Piano Sonatas! I'm delighted to launch another set of new lectures of this course as Part 2. As before, this class is meant for people of all levels of experience with Beethoven's music (including no experience at all!). Remember that you are able to watch the lectures as many times as you like, at whatever pace is comfortable for you. As I’ve done with the first set of Beethoven lectures, I look forward to meeting with students—online and in person, in various cities. The dates and locations will be posted in the Announcements and Events section, as part of the course content. So please remember to check back there for details. In these four new lectures, we will explore the following sonatas: • Sonata Op. 2, No. 3 • Sonata Op. 13 (“Pathetique”) • Sonata Op. 53 (“Waldstein”) • Sonata Op. 90 The Dolfinger-McMahon Foundation supports Curtis’s lifelong learning initiatives....

TM

Apr 27, 2017

This is an outstanding course due to Mr. Biss' extensive knowledge and passion for the Beethoven sonatas. I can only dream that someday he'll conduct a course on the Beethoven piano concertos too.

GB

May 03, 2020

An excellent course beautifully presented by Jonathan Biss. I learned a lot and found it immensely enjoyable. It gave me an appetite to learn more about Beethoven and the sonata form.

1 - 25 of 31 Reviews for Exploring Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas Part 2

By Eduardo A d C L

Apr 16, 2017

I suppose a coarse yet hopefully functional metaphor is we get to fly "in the cockpit". Mr Biss guides the student through the inner workings of pieces covered, points to some of the the twists and turns and plants the seeds of perhaps a lifelong contemplation of some of the motivations, feelings and hopes embedded into their architecture. As great as the source material is, I would like to add that Mr Biss is a very eloquent, warm and insightful guide. This journey into rich sonic landscapes, is doubtlessly something not to be missed. One of the best life experiences available on Coursera, highly recommended.

By Richard H

Dec 14, 2017

An ear-opening series of lectures, in which a gifted pianist generously shares his knowledge. Jonathan Bliss concentrates on form, bringing out how the powerful emotional effects of the piano sonatas are in large part due to Beethoven's misuse of sonata form. I worried that listening more intellectually might diminish the sonatas' emotional effects, but the opposite is true: with understanding comes intensification. A profound thank you to all who made this series possible.

By Maria E H

Feb 26, 2017

If you are looking to increase your appreciation of music, and specifically of Beethoven's piano sonatas, this is the course to take! It does not require highly technical knowledge, other than a tiny understanding of harmonic progressions. However, Professor Bliss love and knowledge of Beethoven's music, coupled with his ability to explain its beauty, provides the fuel to push the student to the next level of love and appreciation for classical music.

By Soorya D

Jun 11, 2020

Thank you so much, Mr. Biss, for teaching me about the Beethoven Sonatas that I love. I personally know the first movements of both the "Pathètique" Sonata and the "Waldstein" Sonata. The way you played, analysed, and described them just gave me a whole new perspective on the piece and blew my mind.

Once again, thank you so much ,and I will watch all the six courses that you have offered!

By Muskan C

Jun 03, 2020

The first course in this series was brilliant enough to encourage me to continue. This course was even more amazing and Mr. Biss' profound knowledge opens the gates to the very depths of Beethoven's every Sonata. My understanding of the pieces and classical music terms in general have become clearer now and I am sure every music enthusiast would find this course a blessing!

By Carol R

Mar 07, 2020

Jonathan Biss taught me a lot about listening to music. In 14 years of lessons none of my piano teachers ever taught me about chords, etc. On March 24 2020 I am taking my grandson, age 11, to the Perlman Center in Philadelphia to listen to Mr. Biss. This will be my gson's birthday gift. I hope we will get to chat with Mr. Biss after the concert in the green room. Carol Riley

By Joshua L

Jun 03, 2020

Excellent survey of 4 Beethoven masterpieces, Jonathan Biss brings these works to life and who provides a helpful guide to tell us why they are such great and unique pieces. Eloquently delivered. And to make sure that we get it, he devises simple but important questions at the end of each sequence to ensue that we don't lose the thread.Enjoyable.

By Angelina W

Jul 15, 2020

Johnathan Biss is an excellent lecturer from Curtis. This course continues analyzing Beethoven's piano sonatas and goes more in depth with his style as it matures. Prof. Biss' in-lecture demonstrations and lecture notes reinforce the quality of the videos.

By Jerrold S

Feb 11, 2018

Mr. Biss' presentations and playing were excellent throughout. I gained more insight into the sonatas, Beethoven's compositional technique, his life, and music composition in general. I cannot praise this course highly enough!

By Ramon M

Oct 02, 2018

I will be revisiting the course since many things require re-re-re-revising over and over again. The way Mr. Biss explains the sonatas is concise and yet manages to bring into words the inexplicable.

By Tom M

Apr 27, 2017

By Gillian V B

May 03, 2020

By jesus p c

Jul 02, 2020

All three courses I have taken have really helped to enhance my delight and understanding of Beethoven's music. Bliss transmit his admiration and passion for this music.

By Vedran S

Aug 29, 2017

This is an excellent class. It is a great continuation of the first part of the lecture series and ties into them nicely. I would highly recommend taking this class.

By Shayne L

May 07, 2017

Exceptional throughout. Beautifully played, analysed and discussed at both detailed and structural levels with reverence and deep appreciation. Highly recommended.

By Jeffrey T N

Jun 06, 2020

Outstanding in-depth analysis. Quiz and exam questions at the right level of difficulty. Thoroughly enjoyed the course, looking forward to Part 3.

By joseclon

Jan 10, 2018

Excellent, highly recommend. Mr Biss is a magnificent instructor and amazing performer. Thank you.

By Samuel F

Jul 31, 2017

Jonathan Biss is brilliant. I would love to watch him lecturing about absolutely anything!

By eugene M n

Feb 06, 2017

A deeper and better organized course that Part 1. Thoroughly enjoyable and instructive.

By weici

Apr 24, 2017

Amazing! Excellent delivery of content and virtuosic playing at the same time

By Rohit V T

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for the lessons, immensely grateful for the classes.

By Richard G

Dec 02, 2019

Excellent material and instructor.

By Andre G

Apr 06, 2017

Very enlightening and inspiring!

By MAURICIO W