Back to Fundamentals of Graphic Design

FS
Jul 13, 2020

Excellent course to learn and refresh about fundamentals of design....It applies to all spheres of MULTIMEDIA..Highly recommended... As a suggestion course and notes should be available in PDF format.

AR
Apr 17, 2016

very good introductory course. i enjoyed the assignments, they are not overwhelming, easy to start, and the optional ones offer great opportunity to dig little deeper into graphic design fundamentals.

51 - 75 of 2,994 Reviews for Fundamentals of Graphic Design

By Цибульняк К

Jun 10, 2016

I'm fully satisfied with all course.

I was able to systematize all existing knowledge about graphic design and also fill some "holes" in basics of creating graphics, especially I'm very gratefull for lesson about typography (it has always been my Achilles' heel :) ).

All assigments are very interesting, I got a lot of fun considering what I will do for each of them and also enjoyed whole process then.

This course is highly recomended for all, who wants to start in graphic design industry and for those, who already experienced in it, but also needs to put in order existing experience in appropriate form.

Thank you!

By Nicolle U

Feb 2, 2020

I loved the content. I loved that you get a lot of relevant info packed in short videos, the content doesn't make you feel overwhelmed. If you are an artist or designer sometimes you can feel like you "already know" some of the things your watching, I like to think that it is important not to skip the content, sometimes it can help you refresh some of the knowledge you have.

IMPORTANT: This is NOT a course to learn how to use any design program ( Illustrator, In design, Photoshop etc), they explain that at the beginning. This is a course to help you understand the essence of design and its creative process.

By Arestides P

Jun 6, 2020

Calarts Faculty, School of Art - Program in Graphic Design, Michael Worthington teach you the fundamentals of graphic design the theoretical side of it. He dissects the parts in easy to understand manner. The project assignment keeps you busy and of course the best way to learn is to get your ideas flowing and create something within the perspective of graphics design. I definitely recommend this course if you want to understand graphic design. By the way the instructors of this Graphic Specialization Course is all professional faculty member with years of experience both academe and corporate.

By Selin S

Nov 3, 2020

This course has been a starting point for me to understand how the design processes. I learnt about the usage of tools and creating an image for a given theme. There are no limits when it comes to creativity. The video lessons are not that long but helpful. There are mini quizzes at the end of each sections and for those who want to learn more further readings are available. The assignments felt real because if I would got to a studio to learn the basics of design I'd recieve many reviews on my work. Here in coursera it is also possible to have that community and people are really helpful.

By José R H

May 31, 2019

The course and the professor are excellent! If you are a beginner, like me; there is no better place to start your journey. My only gripe is the student reviews. Sometimes the commentaries are thoughtful and help you, and others, just a waste of time. The same goes for the works I reviewed. Some students put time and effort to complete an assignment, and others, they just put anything down to get it out of the way. The same as in life, I guess. You'll get out of this class as much as the effort you put in. Once again, the course and professor are outstanding! Many thanks to Cal Arts!

By Kaveh V

Feb 14, 2016

This is a great course for getting into art in general. A lot of the course is very cursory and never goes too far into detail like some classes do, which can be overwhelming.

The structure of required vs optional assignments was great, allowing you to choose where you'd like to practice more or even just additionally be able to continue (whereas some people cannot).

I would highly recommend this course to everyone. I look forward to continuing the entire specialization when I have more time. Until a couple of months from now, CalArts - you have made me a happy student!

By Suzanne A V

Nov 8, 2020

This course is a perfect beginner's course about graphic design. It tackled and explained the basics in the simplest manner. It also provided exercises that made me understand the theories more. The videos and audio and visual aids are very clear, as well as the sample outputs. This course has definitely encouraged me to look closely on the fundamentals on graphic design, how they work as a single unit and how they can go together to make a pleasing and informative piece. My gratitude to Coursera, CalArts and Michael Worthington, the instructor, for this course.

By Jennifer M C

Feb 15, 2016

The course was very cool. If you have already studied anything design-related, the content might be too basic and might look boarded in a rather shallow way. However, if you are new to the topic, I think the course is the perfect introduction to how the design process works and also, to the specialization (if you are interested in that). Additionally, the assignments offer a great chance to practice every concept reviewed in the videos, so that even a person who knows those things, but is a little rusty on the whole practice side, might benefit from the course.

By Matthew T

Jan 8, 2019

This is a really beneficial course to wrap your head around terminology. While some may be review or feel like "yeah, duh" ideas in terms of the uses of contrast and space, for any novices or amateurs looking to better their skills, or anybody exploring graphic design from its roots, it's a necessary jumping off point. The only thing I'd add is a module on software, both to explain what software is being used for the demo, and what options are out there for beginners, including open source software, to make the course as affordable and accessible as possible.

By João C

May 28, 2019

Initially thanks to Coursera, CalArts and Professor Michael Worthington for the partnership. The course is excellent, are initial foundations that open the vision for the universe of graphic design. I believe this is a fundamental step towards building a good designer. I recommend.

Pt-Br

Inicialmente obrigado ao Coursera, CalArts e professor Michael Worthington pela parceria. O curso é excelente, são fundamentos iniciais que abrem a visão para o universo do design gráfico. Acredito que essa é etapa fundamental para a construção de um bom designer. Recomendo.

By Maureen O

Oct 2, 2019

Fundamentals of Graphic design was such a good heads start for me in design. I started designing 2 years ago but little did i know i was doing it the wrong way all the while. Taking this course, I've been exposed to right design thinking and the basics of design. The exercises, peer graded assignments and quizzes have all played major roles in fine tuning my design basic knowledge. I look forward to taking subsequent courses in the specialization as this has triggered my zeal to horn my creative abilities. Great teachers! Great team!

Thank you!

By Jyotsna M

Jul 28, 2020

I have greatly enjoyed learning from our teacher Michael Worthington who has a very simple yet succinct way of explaining the fundamentals of graphic designing that I felt I already knew about and oh boy was I wrong! I had been a painting student and though Bauhaus did apply the same fundamentals on all craetive strains yet the Graphic play viz-a-vis painting still felt somehow different. And it felt like fun. I loved every single minute of it. Looking forward to doing a few assignments left in week 4.

Thank you Coursera and Thank you CalArts :)

By Faisel K

Oct 2, 2020

The best Learning experience and the best Mentor I have ever seen. This course provides more than what one can expect. I have been doing graphic related jobs for the last 10 years but things which I have learned here change my perception all together towards making an aesthetical and functional piece of Graphic Design. I would recommend this course to anyone who likes to make his/her carrier in the design industry. I'm really thankful to the Coursera Team and faculty of CalArts for making such an incredible and excellent course. Thanks.

By Anna E T

Nov 7, 2016

I really enjoyed this course as it made me stop and take the time to not only make art but to have fun with it. This course made me think about different ways to blend art and text the different elements within a typeface and font. I learned a lot of new and important things to consider regarding graphic design and I really enjoyed the instructors way of teaching. Thank you for taking the time to make courses like this so easily available to individuals like me who do not have the time or funds for traveling to a formal college.

By Pratima P

Sep 1, 2020

WONDERFUL LEARNING ,SIMPLE ANY EASY WAY TO LEARN, PRACTICAL ASSIGNMENTS HELPED IN PRACTICAL SKILL DEVELOPMENT FOR THE COURSE,PEER GRADING HELPED IN UNDERSTANDING DIFFERENT IDEAS OF STUDENTS AND THEIR THOUGHT PROCESS,INDEED A BEAUTIFUL COURSE ,THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR MICHAEL WORTHINGTON ,YOUR GUIDANCE AND TEACHING HELPED ME TO LEARN FUNDAMENTALS OF GRAPHIC DESIGN IN AN EASY WAY.THANK YOU COURSERA COURSE AND BOMBAY TEACHER'S TRAINING COLLEGE FOR GIVING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN AND DEVELOP MY SKILLS ,DIVINE GRATITUDE TO ALL.

By Mateusz G

Jun 9, 2019

This is my first (and for sure not last) course in this website. I always thought that online courses this is a big crap and nothing serious. I was wrong. I learnt a lot in this time with "fndamentals of graphic design" course. I am really surprised about another students - they were evaluating with being honest and pointing what was to improve in homeworks from tasks which we got. Also I got a lot of inspirations from another points of view on simple tasks:)

Best regards for creator of this course, my journey just began.

By Angela M

Sep 20, 2020

I just want to say thanks to Coursera for allowing me to take the course.

Thank you for offering financial assistance.

Thanks to the California Institute of the Arts for offering the course.

Thanks to Professor Michael Worthington, for teaching the classes and giving of his time and knowledge to learn about the fundamentals of graphic design.

Thank you all the colleagues who review the tasks and are part of the fact that we can give feedback, and be able to finish our activities.

Delighted with the course!

Many blessings!

By María A O

Dec 3, 2015

Very practical and enjoyable introduction to graphic design. It condenses a lot of content in an approachable and diversified way so it's useful to learn a lot in little time.

It's also encouraging to put all the concepts taught into practice with various media, with its balance between technique and talent. I like the instructor's way to express the importance of relying on the idea over difficulty.

Among the MOOCs I've taken on art topics, this one stands out as one of the most clarifying and fulfilling.

May 14, 2020

I want to give many thanks for being given this wholesome opportunity to spend my time meaningfully during this most difficult time! This course has taught me to broaden my perspectives and horizons in the fine arts, with graphic design also being the tip of an even bigger mountain to be scaled. A big heartfelt thank you to the main instructor (Michael Worthington) and many others who worked behind the scenes to create this engaging, colourful course which took me four days to complete. Worth it! ;-)

By Megan C

Mar 19, 2016

This was an amazing course with a very talented and engaging instructor. I suffer from a chronic illness and have recently had to put an unrelated university degree on hold. It honestly felt like my life was falling to pieces. If this course is any indication of what's to come, I have full hopes of being able to start a successful business from home, allowing me to work with my illness and not against it like I was doing before. Thank you Coursera for opening my life back up to possibilities again.

By Nandagopalan V

May 26, 2018

I guess this is one of the very few courses available online in graphic design from a reputed institute. It is a great course for a beginner to get started off with. The course content was optimum for a beginner and useful information was provided in all sections. It is definitely a good course to get you thinking in the direction of graphic design and help identify your areas of interest within the domain. I am grateful to Coursera, Calarts and Prof. Worthington for giving me this opportunity.

By Altemur B

Aug 16, 2020

I really like that course. Instructors were very good. I always heard good things about calarts. And know I understood that everything was true. Really good school, really good instructors and really good assignments for improving ourselves in a better way. As they said in the course, Graphic design is learned by design. And we made a lot of design assignments in that course. And we review our friends and get feedbacks from our friends, it was really helpful. I suggest calarts and their courses.

By Mrunal P S

Jan 17, 2019

The Course of Fundamentals of Graphic Design has been created in a precise way throwing light on the important topics of Basic Design elemental study, Color theory, Typography and Design composition, making it interesting and simple to understand by a layman.

Professor Worthington has done a marvelous job and has been able to translate the Graphic design understanding and terminology through his videos. This was my first course from Cousera and I feel privileged.

Mrunal Sinha, India

By Simona J

Mar 15, 2018

I like the course, not knowing anything I've learned a lot. Learning that objects and letters can trigger emotions and feelings, learning the typefaces, the colouring, the playing with shapes, was very educative and interesting for me. I have never worked in Photoshop or any other photo editor so I had to learn part of that as well. This course was A+ and I thing that with the basics now I can start exploring for more and also now I see things and surrounding with second pair of eyes.

By Tran L P

Nov 15, 2016

Excellent course! I find this Fundamentals of Graphic Design very useful for everyone not just designer. It does not only provide me with very basic yet very useful knowledge of graphic design but also helped me greatly in practicing certain skills that I never thought I would have. The assignments and all peer-review sessions are quite challenging too though the video sessions with the teachers always sound very easy to understand. I love this challenge anyway. Strongly recommended.