Back to Sexing the Canvas: Art and Gender

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sexing the Canvas: Art and Gender by The University of Melbourne

What do paintings tell us about sex? How is art gendered? In this course we will study some of the world’s most beloved pictures guided by expert curators and art historians who step outside of the square, bringing a gendered reading to the masterpieces contained in the magnificent collections that we have been lucky enough to bring to the Coursera platform. In this course you will learn how: * Gender and sexuality is an integral part of the production and reception of works of art * To increase your understanding of paintings through theories of gender and sexuality * To understand key terms from gender-related theories of art history and museology * To recognise the operation of what is termed ‘the gaze’ and how it works in relation to paintings * Ideas about gender and sexuality can productively be employed in theorising art curatorial practices * To take the initiative in relating theoretical ideas about gender and sexuality to the reading and display of art and visual cultures. View the MOOC promotional video here: http://tinyurl.com/hm7qbl3...

E

Sep 12, 2019

I'm really enthused with the lesson cause I feel I had a general view before about this subject and now I m approaching the core. It;s been an issue that I was thinking a lot the last 2 years.

IC

Very interesting and complete -a great window into several art galleries (especially now, during the context of COVID-19!), styles, personalities and iconic works of art.

1 - 25 of 72 Reviews for Sexing the Canvas: Art and Gender

By Priscila Q

Sep 13, 2017

This course is great, except for the last part about the australian aborigen art. It's SO difficult for us -non english speakers- to understand this classes. The rest of the course is excellent!

By Petra S

Apr 27, 2018

I am at week 7 in this course and am thoroughly enjoying it. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the history of art and the status quo for men and women throughout history, and how that influenced artists' careers and styles as painters,especially women. The mini video lectures are interesting well presented, the accessibility and information about paintings here in various galleries in Australia, in America and the UK is invaluable. It has convinced me further of the importance of art and how artists past and present can not only give us pieces of great beauty and amazing skill, but a window into a world that may have passed, be present or be otherwise not part of our world. It is refreshing also to be introduced to works where female subjects/sitters have agency, or to artists who went against the usual conventions of the time in their subject matter. A great course.

By MartinaR

Jan 08, 2018

I find this course super interesting with many different ideas about the way we look at the pieces of art. The professors show us paintings from different periods of time and different cultures and explain the circumstances and ideas that influenced those artists, they also question the gender, the role of the woman, the role of the viewer etc. I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot about few artists I already knew something about, and about others, that I didn't know at all and I'm happy to have learnt many informations that will help me understand those artists and enjoy their work and reflect upon it. Thank you!

By Alexandra M

Jan 06, 2018

Really enjoyed participating in this course! It gives a great introduction to gender theories in relation to their representation in famous works of art and shows changes in understanding of gender and sexuality through the art history. I also really liked more open dialogically-structured lectures offered in the weeks 8 materials.

I can recommend this to those who wants to start with gender studies or increase understanding of art works and especially to those who enjoys good mixed-discipline classes.

By Miriam V V

Apr 29, 2020

Estoy muy satisfecha con el curso. Sólo añadiría un poco de feedback en los comentarios que escribimos y en los tests, en los apartados de multirespuesta, un poco de variabilidad.

Muchas gracias por ese enfoque del arte!! Muy interesante!

I am very satisfied with the course. I would just add a little feedback in the comments we write and in the tests, in the multi-response sections, a little variability.

Thank you very much for that approach to art !! Very interesting!

By Dalia A

Mar 04, 2017

Can't Describe The Awesomeness Of This Great Course ...

The Great Relationship Between The History Of Art & The Vision To The Cultural History Of Countries ...

I'm Really Speechless When I'm Seeing This Awesome Pieces Of Art ..

No Words To Describe ...

Thanks To Everyone Who Works On This Great Wonderful Course..Professor Jeanette Hoorn..All The Professors & All The Team Of The Course..

Appreciate Your Hard Work A Lot ...

Thank You So So Much ...

By Aleksandr Z

Oct 11, 2019

Obviously, the theme is relevant, but what is great, the presentation is accessible for somebody with no particular background in art history. According to Immanuel Kant there are two worlds, one is realm of observation and the other one of imagination. This course is the great guide to the second and brings you keys to understand collective imagination.

By Elizabeth S

Jun 06, 2018

Getting the chance to participate in this interesting course was definitely one of the highlights of 2018! All professors were great speakers sharing their important knowledge on the subject in the most conceivable way for the audience. The Greek subtitles was a huge surprise for me since I am Greek :)

Thank you for this course!

By Miryung S

Mar 28, 2020

I really enjoyed doing this course.

I didn't realise how much emotions, history and dreams a single piece of art can encapsulate.

The course was well spread out and presented and the quizzes were just the right level of difficulty.

Thank you for bringing such wonderful art to our homes, Coursera!

By Angela T

Jun 08, 2018

This is a fascinating course which covers different periods of art history with a focus on the representation of women. The presentations are very interesting and move at a good pace. I learned a lot about art which will make visits to galleries much more enjoyable. I'd recomend this course.

By Elsa C

Oct 10, 2016

Un curso magnífico. Ha sido un verdadero placer escuchar las exposiciones de los profesores. Muy pocas veces he escuchado palabras tan inspiradoras sobre el arte que al mismo tiempo hayan conectado con mi alma de una manera tan directa. Gracias ha sido un curso inspirador.

By Caroline

Feb 07, 2017

An excellent and thoroughly engaging course on disparate pieces of art within the context of gender and sexuality. The course allowed me to view artistic works within a cultural context that is deeply embedded yet often ignored .

By Liliana

May 20, 2017

I think this course is really important for people interested in art with a feminist view or in the sight of gender studies. You learn how to look at a painting from another point of view. The material is really interesting.

By Kinga A

Jun 11, 2020

Excellent Course, I have learned about new artists and concepts while visiting the renowned art museums and galleries around the world! Big thank you to all the professors for making this course such an interesting journey.

By Marni S

Jun 07, 2016

I thought the course content was great; it gave me a new perspective on the works of art shown in the course. I also enjoyed the variety of art, styles and mediums used to teach the subject matter. Very interesting.

By Evmorfia K

Sep 12, 2019

By Patricia M C

May 31, 2017

Sorry to be so insistent, but put subtitles in Spanish and added some Latin American art to your course, I think there are good contributions so you can take advantage of the subject.

By Juana L

Mar 12, 2017

A wonderful way of understanding gender in Art. I was a complete beginner in this topic and now I feel I have tools to help me continue my training and to observe art differently.

By Ilse d Y C

By Manuel C V X

Jul 05, 2020

Excellent approach to the theme, very well conducted with highly professionals. Some important issues were missed, but it is impossible to contemplate the whole.

By Nikita M

Aug 24, 2017

Very interesting course. Gives you insights on how gender played an important role in the arts. Also how to differentiate and read work on sexuality and gender.

By Cansu A

Jul 10, 2017

It was a great course, I learned a lot in this course and it changed the way I look at paintings in the art museums, I really enjoyed this learning experience.

By HUANG S

Jun 17, 2017

wonderful interpretation of masterpiece and art movement, help to deeply appreciate famous art works. Wish to attend more courses from Melbourne University

By Joyce U

Aug 24, 2019

Thank you so much for allowing me the privilege to be a part of this learning experience. I t's the first thing I do, while having my morning tea.

By Léa M S

Sep 12, 2017

This course was really excellent! I enjoyed watching it and it allowed me to learn a lot about a topic that I had never studied before.