Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

51 - 75 of 249 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Natalia M

Jan 17, 2017

I really enjoyed this class and thought it was very useful for learning about the importance of historical events that contribute to how we design graphics today.

By Julia P G

Jul 23, 2018

very clear and concise videos+explanations. It gave me a good (but brief and that's ok) overview graphic design history. I feel like I learned a lot of things

By Fabian M

Dec 14, 2016

Fun and very interesting. It has lifted the veil from a lot of things that were all around me in society and yet were transparent to me prior to this course.

By F A

Sep 26, 2018

Recommend it to all new starter in graphics design, because its a great tool of knowledge to understand how or why certain things where done in certain ways.

By yeliz

Mar 27, 2020

It was a very good class, and the content is very interesting and satisfying. I especially liked the assignments, and I learned a lot while preparing them.

By Yuliya S

Oct 27, 2019

I really liked the course material and the way teachers provide information. I learned a lot and noted many areas that I will continue to study on my own.

By Rohan S

Oct 23, 2018

This course gives some invaluable insight on the history of graphic design with a ton of examples, something that's often left out on many other courses.

By Rohit N

Aug 31, 2016

I enjoyed studying history for the first time in my life. It is really insightful to see how design has evolved and still has influences from the past.

By Rosa P M V

Aug 26, 2017

Excellent course. I could understand a general idea from where graphic design comes from. Now I know where to look for references and inspiration.

By namrata

Nov 21, 2019

This Course history of graphic design was wonderful . It took me back at early history of Graphics design. Thank you and I truly appreciate it.

By Ronald K

Oct 09, 2017

Very informative! I recommend it! =) It helped me to understand a bit more of the world and how the design evolved in modern/contemporary era.

By Juachi O

Sep 21, 2017

Enjoyed learning about the evolution of Graphic Design. I do wish this course covered other countries. Perhaps I'll look that up independently

By Zackary A K

Jul 06, 2017

Very interesting, introductory lectures on the history of design. It really helped my get my footing, so that reading further has been easy.

By Ulrich W

Dec 22, 2016

Very nice overview how trends and tastes changed over time, finalizing in a project targeting a particular sub-culture. I learned something.

By Carlos L

Mar 11, 2017

great reviewing of the different trends in graphics design history and the related marketing, great approach. i really enjoyed the course.

By Tomelilla G

Mar 19, 2020

If you want to learn a great overview of the history of design with interesting examples applicable today here is the course for you!

By Guerin A

Oct 19, 2018

Thank you for this wonderful course. It really makes you think on a deeper level about design, not only how it was created, but why.

By Magdalena P F

Sep 13, 2016

This course is very well explained and very interesting. The assignments are simple and still bring a lot into the learning process.

By Ekaterina D

Jan 18, 2019

Very interesting course. here you can get acquainted with the history of design in different countries, as well as learn the basics

By Iole M

Feb 03, 2017

A concise course with very meaningful visual contents. English spoken in a very understandable way, even for a non-native speaker.

By Brianna P

Oct 10, 2016

I loved how straight forward and informative this course was. I have such a stronger appreciation for what we see as design today!

By Balaji A

May 08, 2018

Wonderful course, helps a lot in understanding the historic perspective in design and helps reflect the same in our modern design

By Christopher J

May 27, 2019

the whole course is great. i learned i didn't know much about graphic design. and i know now i need to continue to practice.

By Joshua L

Feb 24, 2017

It was definitely an eye-opening course for someone who only knew how graphic design works and none of the history behind it.

By Kevin J

Aug 08, 2016

Really enjoyed this course and would love to indulge in more activities and information on the history of Graphic Design.