Back to Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities by Lund University

How can we shape our urban development towards sustainable and prosperous futures? This course explores sustainable cities as engines for greening the economy. We place cities in the context of sustainable urban transformation and climate change. Sustainable urban transformation refers to structural transformation processes – multi-dimensional and radical change – that can effectively direct urban development towards ambitious sustainability and climate goals. We connect the key trends of urbanization, decarbonisation and sustainability. We examine visions, experiments and innovations in urban areas. And we look at practices (what is happening in cities at present) and opportunities (what are the possibilities for cities going forwards into the future). This course provides key examples of activities to promote sustainable cities in Scandinavia, Europe and around the world. We bring together a collection of diverse short films and key short readings on sustainable cities as well as interactive forums and a practical assignment to create an online learning community. This course is produced by Lund University in cooperation with WWF Cities and ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability. It is available for free to everyone, everywhere!...

SV
Sep 28, 2019

This course has been approached not just for academic purpose but also it is a moral oligation to carry forward what has been taught. I thank the authorities and faculties who have made presentations.

MB
Mar 14, 2019

Really interesting course. I recommend it for all people who want to now how are cities need to act for sustainable development of our cities, how to prevent earth from fast increasing c02 footprint.

476 - 500 of 668 Reviews for Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities

May 12, 2020

Ótimo.

By shubham k

Oct 9, 2020

good

By DIPTA S

Sep 28, 2020

Good

By Shivraj S

Sep 15, 2020

Good

By Muhammad Y

good

By Widanalage S S H D M

Oct 31, 2018

good

By Oliange G V P R

Oct 26, 2018

Good

By Aditya D

Mar 24, 2017

good

By Margaux M

Jul 26, 2019

G

By Umberto D V

May 3, 2020

Very interesting course, made by very good teachers. All the topics have been clear and followed with a strong willingness. It opens your mind receiving new knowledge and unexpected aspects about how is it possible to achieve green economies. I would have been more glad if it had been explained (even briefly) how different sciences (such as thermodynamic, mathematics, civil engineering) could be involved in the transition process to a green economy through the implementation of tools and method that they offer. I'm just entering in the world of the applied sustainability, and this course for sure gave me a very clear overview about the potential and opportunities that can be applied. Completely recommended!

By Katie B

Jun 7, 2020

Enjoyable course that sparked off a number of thoughts about my own city as I was doing it, particularly on the sharing economy. My only complaint was that there was quite a bit of repetition towards the end and some material that didn't really say all that much eg. setting up of the cross-forums, GUST, which didn't suit an online learning environment. Also just to say there is a large focus on Sweden, but would be expected given this is a course given by a Swedish University. Take this course with the idea that it will be mainly case study based and it will make you open your eyes to what your own city could be doing better!

By Frank D R

Mar 24, 2016

Overall good course (the first MOOC I ever took, so inexperienced in grading these courses), but some areas of improvement remain.

I would however suggest less redundancy. Too many papers/videos start with an overview of the problems we are facing, but I would think most students are aware of these problems coming into the course, and if not, they need not be repeated so many times. Also, some of the papers seem to use a very redundant and roundabout way of communicating information, with a lot of repetition and sometimes over-contextualization. Shorter sentences/readability do not make for worse science. :-)

By Miruna A

May 6, 2020

This course was informative. Most importantly, it taught me how to appreciate the environment and its wonders, it made me realise that nature is the most beautiful thing in the world and we all should take care of it. Also, even though the amount of knowledge that I collected from this course is vast and satisfying, I sometimes felt during the lessons that there were given way too long explanations and descriptions, that made me lose interest or get bored. However, this course helped me a lot to understand the necessity of going green and environmentally friendly and I would recommend it to anybody.

By Panos F

Apr 17, 2021

Very interesting course that is relevant to the modern world and honestly, the world would be a better place if everyone learned from this course! I liked the readings provided and the films were very well-made. The only thing I didn't like much were the questions on the quizzes in which one or more choices were correct, which made achieving 80% a bit difficult sometimes. Overall, the course has given me an insight into Sustainable Development and I learned about interesting concepts I didn't know about such as Urban Living Labs and the case studies.

By Iulia C

Nov 30, 2017

Very informative course! Would totally suggest if you're looking for a broad approach to understanding what a sustainable city is, how best to form visions on achieving sustainability and how different stakeholders can work together to make the visions a reality. Great examples from around the globe. What's lacking I would say is a little bit more interactivity between the video lessons and assignments to help retain the information better (this may be a Coursera issue though).