Back to The Importance of Listening

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Importance of Listening by Northwestern University

In this second MOOC in the Social Marketing Specialization - "The Importance of Listening" - you will go deep into the Big Data of social and gain a more complete picture of what can be learned from interactions on social sites. You will be amazed at just how much information can be extracted from a single post, picture, or video. In this MOOC, guest speakers from Social Gist, BroadReader, Lexalytics, Semantria, Radian6, and IBM's Bluemix and Social Media Analytics Tools (SMA) will join Professor Hlavac to take you through the full range of analytics tools and options available to you and how to get the most from them. The best part, most of them will be available to you through the MOOC for free! Those purchasing the MOOC will receive special tools, templates, and videos to enhance your learning experience. In completing this course you will develop a fuller understanding of the data and will be able to increase the effectiveness of your content strategy by making better decisions and spotting crises before they happen! MOOC 2 bonus content in the paid toolkit includes access to Semantria's analytics engine to extract some data on the markets you are developing and have it analyzed. As a student in this course, you are being provided the opportunity to access IBM Bluemix® platform-as-a-service trial for up to six months at no-charge with no credit card (up to a $1500 value). NOTE: By enrolling in this course, given access to IBM's Bluemix technology for one month for free as well as Lexalytics' Semantria tool. For those earning a Course Certificate, you will be given an additional five months of Bluemix and three months of Semantria at no cost with a special key code. By enrolling for a Course Certificate for this MOOC, you are acknowledging that your email will be shared with Lexalytics for the sole and express purpose of generating your individual key code. After the key code has been generated, Lexalytics will delete your email from its records. Additional MOOC 2 faculty include: * Steve Dodd (SVP Business Development, Effyis - dba BoardReader and Socialgist - Global Social Media Content Access) * Seth Redmore (CMO, Lexalytics, Inc.) * Chris Gruber (Social Media Analytics Solution Architect, IBM) * Russell Beardall (Cloud Architect, IBM) * Tom Collinger (Executive Director Spiegel Research Center and Senior Director Distance Learning, Medill Integrated Marketing Communications, Northwestern) * Tressie Lieberman (VP Digital Innovation, Taco Bell)...

WL

May 26, 2018

I am enjoying the journey. I anticipate being a better digital marketer than ever before. Thank you for helping me to be better all the way around: personally, academically, and professionally.

AF

Nov 05, 2017

This course is great because you get hands on experience with social listening tools. If you work in social media marketing and want to know more about listening, this class is worth the time.

176 - 200 of 231 Reviews for The Importance of Listening

By Josh G

Jun 20, 2016

Thank you. Excellent information.

By Sarah I

Dec 04, 2015

Parts of it seemed a bit salesy, but I really enjoyed the insights from Tressie Lieberman.

By Mohamed y a

Nov 21, 2017

you must believe data no matter your guts tell you , social monitoring tools are the only thing you must build your entire assumption on it not your biased brain searching on google .

the whole science of business is built to decrease the risks of losing your money and time and social data monitoring is one of those decrease losing tools so don't hesitate to spend some money on it for the long run benefit .

By Steph L

Mar 14, 2016

This course was informative. I especially loved the interview with Tressie from Taco Bell. I feel like I learned a lot from her. The only part I did not enjoy from this course was the Peer to Peer assignment. Don't get me wrong, the assignment was very informative. I love the concept of peer to peer assignments because I get to learn so much more in different sectors. However, socialmention.com was NOT working for me. It was very slow and I could not even load the page. I had to go to a cafe with high speed internet in order to load my keywords, hashtags, and influencers, but I couldn't until the last day (which is why I handed in my assignment late). Other than that, this course was (probably) better than the first one.

Dec 12, 2015

In this course, Randy Hlavac does a deeper dive into the importance of social media monitoring and gives a nice overview of some key social listening tools available on the market today.

By Edward A G

Oct 04, 2017

Material was outdated, but that's understandable.

By Rivière M

Feb 08, 2016

Nice class

By Nicholas M

Mar 17, 2016

The material is very Helpful

By Od S

Sep 20, 2017

You should be more clear about the tools, add by writing how to use them, very clear and step by step because they are not familiar at all. They are so many and we need a guide. The videos are confused.

By Lilliana U d N

Sep 20, 2016

Found difficult to use Semantria and IBM Bluemix. They were not user friendly and the videos were too limited, and did not show how to use the rest. It´s a shame that we are given 6 months to use, but no tools to take advantage of it.

By Alysia B

Oct 20, 2016

I learned a lot in this course about all the ways one can find info online about your product/business. Some of the guest lecture videos didn't hold my attention all that well, but I'm glad we had their perspective.

By Farhad

Feb 21, 2017

A little bit ambiguous and vague, however it gets better in the next sessions in my opinion.

By Malak A

Aug 24, 2017

This was a very informative course. I learned new ways to look up for influencers' on social media.

By Mira A N

Jul 01, 2018

Very good and interesting. The videos would be good to be updated so you didn't have to get stressed when you didn't find the sites that was down.

By KAREN C

Sep 07, 2018

VERY GREAT TOOLS AND REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES PRESENTED IN THIS MOOC!

By Gayle H

Oct 04, 2018

Fantastic, just want to get that one quiz figured out so I don't loose marks for questions that didn't apply? help

By Sumit C

Jun 01, 2019

Great Course!

The tools that were provided act as leverage to gain knowledge about how Social Monitoring is done and how to maximize your brand's reputation by knowing the competition in the market.

By Mark V

Oct 01, 2019

Very good. Very useful. I only drop a star because many instances were not up-to-date. Provides a lot of free tools!

By Michelle S

Nov 22, 2019

Great course, but a little dated. Needs some updates.

By Shivangi c

Dec 06, 2019

This is course is very useful for me, I have learned so many things from this course and its very beneficial for my future career.

By Fabio P R

Feb 04, 2016

I found it was very interesting, for sure, but maybe too focused some times. Also, it seems good for listening to twitter, for example, but not other social medias that could be much more interesting in different situations.

By Linda L

May 04, 2018

Good, just frustrating there is no one in the forums to help when the apps we're being asked to use aren't working for us. I would have been nice to have some direction and to save some time. The course information will be helpful.

By Valeriya C

Feb 23, 2016

I would prefer to learn about less SMM tools more in depth, rather then getting to know so many just briefly. Felt a little bit overwhelmed.

By Anaïs N

Apr 10, 2016

I found the course useful to better ground and assimilate the ideas presented in the first one.

But on the other hand, as mentioned by other learners, I do find it a little too much on the commercial side.

I did find very interesting to learn to use some of the tools such as Klout. I think that in time, and working in the Social Media department of a company, I would get the chance to see the interest of Lexalytics but I DID NOT understand anything related to Bluemix... I felt it was superfluous in this course.

All in all, I did appreciate the course as it made me think more deeply about my goals, but I'm not entirely sure it was worth the €71. I feel it could have been shortened a tad bit and go more to the point.

I do look forward to the next course though as I am learning a great deal no matter what :)

By Stephane D

Mar 01, 2016

Some interesting content and great softwares/tools. However this second mooc is a bit too much on the commercial side (including VERY pricey softwares that few of us will ever use I guess). Fortunately, the other moocs of the specialization are much much better!