Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

MK
Mar 5, 2021

Great course. Im a chemical engineering, applying for master's in Chemical Biotechnology. This course really helped in understanding the basics of this amazing field. Thanks guys. Humans are awesome.

JC
Apr 28, 2020

Very informative and very well organised course and it really helped me provide a good insight into the world of Biotechnology, the applications in the health sector and its potential in the future.

101 - 125 of 525 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By Krishnamoorthy P

Sep 6, 2020

It is great course for folks longing to learn on recent advancements in the field of biotechnology!. As a engineer, it is great one to learn on science area.

By Dr. H P

Jun 11, 2020

This course given compherensive idea about various fields biotechnologist can perform. It is good have such vast diverse knowledge for considersing options.

By Sanjay P V R

Jun 21, 2020

This 6 week cource is very interesting and is useful for young learners to get knowledge about the field .I thank the University for initiating this cource

By Char S

Jun 7, 2020

I know more about how the biotechnology used in industry to solve the problems and the trend of biotechnology. Thank you for the professor in this course.

By Jay P

Jul 29, 2020

Great and well-planned course! All the modules were explained clearly and effectively, and the course has developed my interest in the field of science.

By GODWIN J J G

Jul 28, 2020

This is an excellent course. Each module is motivating to become a researcher in Industrial Biotechnology. Thanking Coursera for providing this course.

By Samuel M M C

Nov 2, 2021

Muy buen curso, se aprende demasiado, aunque seria genial que se los exámenes los pusieran en español, para las personas que no saben ingles, Good Job

By Shivani d

May 6, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and although . I am a student that enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about industrial biotechnology ...Thanku so much

By MD. F R

Feb 22, 2021

It was really an informative and exciting journey. Learning with such an amazing and knowledgeable instructors is really impressive. Thanks a lot.

By Synthia H

Nov 7, 2020

Excellent course. It covers main topics in biotechnology and every module is well prepared and dictated by professionals with a very high profile.

By Melanie A O O

Sep 24, 2020

A good course to begin to know the importance of biotechnology in different industries. Provides a lot of knowledge in areas of great importance

By Sayanti D

Aug 23, 2021

Its really an honor to learn about the course and learn the lectures from such elegant professors.This course has really enhanced my knowledge.

By Patel A R

Best course that provides the structure and applications with various day to day life examples, techiques of the Industrial biotechnology.

By Amaliyah R I U

Jul 26, 2020

I got more knowledge to upgrade my expertise in conducting my research and teaching of my class. Thank you for this awesome online class.

By Prajakta A G

Aug 30, 2020

Thank you so much for a wonderful course . It helped me a lot to clear my biotechnology basics and improved my process designing skills.

By Syeda L T

Nov 18, 2020

It was a very informative and innovative course. It helped me understand the technicalities of industry-level production of materials.

By Javiera A P G

Sep 22, 2020

A great overview about Industrial Biotechnology (if you are a biotechnology studendt, you'll probably consider this course too basic).

By Ankita P

Jul 7, 2020

I am very thankful to the organizers for arranging this course. The presentations and resource materials were informative and useful.

By Ahmad A Q B

May 30, 2021

Very detailed overview of the entire field of industrial biotechnology and the scope/importance of it in the coming days. Top class!

By MILLENA, E S (

Oct 11, 2020

I have learned a lot about industrial biotechnology. Professors are very knowledgeable, and they explained concepts very clear.

By Mohd. N H

Dec 1, 2020

Very Informative course for the current researches in industrial Biotechnology and what future aspects it holds as an industry

By Dr. K T

Apr 28, 2020

Extremely interesting course. Also very attractive due to examples of biotechnology examples of real industrial applications.

By Mallappa M

Dec 7, 2020

Thank you so much for making me understand that I need so much more to do for preparing my job hunting Thank you coursera ..

By Mario A E C

Apr 1, 2021

It is a good introductory course to Industrial Biotechnology; hopefully, in the future, you could make a series of courses.

By Atanas S

Aug 9, 2020

This is the best course in biotechnology.

Every single lesson inspires you.

And the teachers are undoubtedly one of the best.