Back to An Intuitive Introduction to Probability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Intuitive Introduction to Probability by University of Zurich

This course will provide you with a basic, intuitive and practical introduction into Probability Theory. You will be able to learn how to apply Probability Theory in different scenarios and you will earn a "toolbox" of methods to deal with uncertainty in your daily life. The course is split in 5 modules. In each module you will first have an easy introduction into the topic, which will serve as a basis to further develop your knowledge about the topic and acquire the "tools" to deal with uncertainty. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to complete 5 exercise sessions to reflect about the content learned in each module and start applying your earned knowledge right away. The topics covered are: "Probability", "Conditional Probability", "Applications", "Random Variables", and "Normal Distribution". You will see how the modules are taught in a lively way, focusing on having an entertaining and useful learning experience! We are looking forward to see you online!...

NS

Sep 17, 2017

Superb course. I am very impressed with the way the faculty explained real world examples through the probability concepts. I wish we can have more courses from him on statistics and machine learning.

FR

I really enjoyed this course. The explanations are clear and, as suggested by the title, the lecturer uses intuition and daily-life examples rather than abstract and formal definitions and notations.

276 - 300 of 347 Reviews for An Intuitive Introduction to Probability

Aug 17, 2019

老师教的好

By Rick N

Jun 19, 2020

This course contained useful information, but I disliked the corny, jokey style in which it was presented.

The quiz questions and answer choices were confusing and frustrating. I especially disliked the obscure cultural references, such as television shows or internet memes. There were also numerous typographical errors and grammar errors.

A good point was that numerous real-world examples were presented. A bad point was that several annoying, silly, and unrealistic toy examples were presented.

The content was useful, but I wonder how useful it would be to someone who has no prior statistical or report-reading experience. For example, some students may have never seen a p-value before, and the explanation provided may have been insufficient for them.

I also strongly object to the use of the term "hard variable" to describe a variable that is clinically important.

"Hard variables" are those that are quantified and objectively measured. "Hard data" are data that take on quantitative values, and this is not restricted to births and deaths.

"Quality of life" is often subjective, not objective, so I do not consider it to be a "hard variable", even though it is clinically important.

I am glad I took the course because the content of the course is important.

However, I did not enjoy taking the course. It left me with an unpleasant, frustrated feeling of belittlement. The professor seemed to speak to the students as if they were young children. I was puzzled at why the professor apparently did not take the material seriously.

By Emanuele M

Jul 02, 2020

Very enjoyable and interesting introductory course to probability. The first part is very easy to follow, but I feel that starting from week four there is a decisive gap in the material difficulty(due to heavy notation). Anyway the teacher expectations seem low and the exercises and tests are too easy. The course is accompanied by a well detailed(but not very well edited) PDF. Overall a nice and fun introductory course, with a decisive lack in exercises and tests(the in class quiz are self-evident- the exercises are already solved by a tutor), which I found better developed in another similar and almost complementary course, Data Science Math Skills.

By KARTHIK K

I wish i had taken this course 15 years ago ie during my school days which would have made my life lot better :) It has given a strong fundamental understanding of the key concepts in probability. More difficult and varied exercise problems would have helped to deepen my understanding more. Nevertheless, truly worthy and fun time spent learning P. Thanks a lot Karl, Jose and all the other people for putting together this wonderful world class course together and truly making knowledge accessible to everyone.

By Radka P

Apr 29, 2020

It's very good course on introduction to probability. The lectures were taught very clear and comprehensibly. To finish this course you must complete all quizzes on 100 %, and sometimes it can be very tricky. For better understanding I would appreciate, if there were more exercises that I have solve myself. Although I think the quizzes following the Jose's lectures were unnecessarily easy, because the questions and answers in the quizzes were the same as were taught in the lectures.

By Amrendra P S

This course will give you an introduction to probability instead of deep knowledge or concepts. For beginners, this course is better but if you had done any course in probability then this will not be much beneficial for you. Course content if prepared and structured well, examples give you the real-life implementation but assignments are very easy and don does not cover the entire portion of the course.

By Liu H

May 13, 2020

Professor Schmedders is very passionate about the subject, and his passion is evident through the lessons. I especially enjoyed learning about the real world applications of probability. My only grouse is that Professor Schmedders did not go into greater depth about the various topics. Hopefully there will be a second part to this course that explores the topics in greater depth with more mathematics!

By Vladimir L

Aug 21, 2017

Down to earth explanation of probability basics, explanations are clear and mostly intuitively understandable. Great examples of Excel use for different probability tasks resolution. However use of Normal distribution Excel functionality is not needed when explaining 5 coins toss. It is more intuitive to show it using combination formula.

By Max G

Jan 26, 2019

An interesting course in probablity and statistics. In some cases the equations given are not explained clearly enough. I would have preferred a demonstration of how the equations were actually derived, but perhaps that was beyond the scope of this course.

By Ibrahim N

Jan 13, 2018

A very good course, especially if you are interested in the applications of probability theory. The title fulfills itself and this course is kind of an alternative approach to the very popular problem: how to understand probability theory in a better way.

By Antonio P

Aug 30, 2019

Excellent teaching of a well designed introductory course about probability. I’ve appreciated how much can be taught while keeping tough maths out of sight. I’ve also appreciated the connection between theory and non-scholastic, real life applications.

By Tengfei H

May 06, 2017

The course is very interesting. It has taught me a lot about basic ideas/definitions/applications of probability. But the difficulties of the exercises may be raised a little bit to bring a little bit more challenge to this course.

By Jennifer G

May 04, 2020

I enjoyed taking this course. It was fairly intuitive as it was billed. I had a little difficulty downloading some of the reading materials but the information provided in the videos was sufficient to take the quizzes.

By aineko

Feb 22, 2018

Good and remarkably easy introduction to probability theory. The chosen real world applications really helped me to understand the subject better. Might have to recap some lessons to really grasp the subject.

By Mayank J

Jun 15, 2017

As written in course introduction this course covers basics of Probability. Instructor is good and explains everything from scratch. Would recommend this course for someone who want to learn about basics.

By Prashant

Apr 15, 2018

This COURSE is quite interesting to learn many new thing which has explained very interestingly by karl

but add more on this as many topics are missing in this course and teach more on excel part

By Shriya S

Jun 05, 2020

This course was pretty amazing! I learnt so I much about how to calculate probability, and Professor Karl gave many examples too, which made me understand the concepts well.

By Marcomini D U

This course has been extremely powerful giving a lot of intresting example of ststistics application far away from my previous knowledge on industrial process.

By AJAY H

Sep 19, 2019

This course covers very basic and does not explain how the normal distribution works, the maths behind it, and does not have rigorous exercise for practice

By Prajjwal A

May 20, 2017

I really liked the ease with which Karl taught some of the most intriguing concepts of probability. I would suggest more numerical s to be included.

By Hasan B

Feb 01, 2017

Very nice and entertaining course

Sometimes the quizzes can be a bit frustrating. They could be set better.

Also, often the quizzes are very trivial.

By Roland R

Mar 25, 2020

I loved the practical examples which really helped me to grasped the essence of statistics without becoming confused with theoretical formulas