Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra by Imperial College London

In this course on Linear Algebra we look at what linear algebra is and how it relates to vectors and matrices. Then we look through what vectors and matrices are and how to work with them, including the knotty problem of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and how to use these to solve problems. Finally we look at how to use these to do fun things with datasets - like how to rotate images of faces and how to extract eigenvectors to look at how the Pagerank algorithm works. Since we're aiming at data-driven applications, we'll be implementing some of these ideas in code, not just on pencil and paper. Towards the end of the course, you'll write code blocks and encounter Jupyter notebooks in Python, but don't worry, these will be quite short, focussed on the concepts, and will guide you through if you’ve not coded before. At the end of this course you will have an intuitive understanding of vectors and matrices that will help you bridge the gap into linear algebra problems, and how to apply these concepts to machine learning....

HE
Aug 8, 2021

the instrutors were too good and their explination for the concepts was to the point and it made me realize things in linear algebra I didn't know before although I studied it in school of engineering

CS
Mar 31, 2018

Amazing course, great instructors. The amount of working linear algebra knowledge you get from this single course is substantial. It has already helped solidify my learning in other ML and AI courses.

301 - 325 of 2,067 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

By Fanele C

Nov 7, 2021

Sufficiently challenging introduction to linear algebra, with plenty of examples of applications to both real life data and machine learning. Definitely recommend if you want to strengthen your conceptual knowledge!

By Salem A

Jun 14, 2020

A simple background on linear algebra is useful to complete the course. It is not necessary, however, because the instructors are going to teach you everything you need in a clear and concise manner which was great.

By Sanjay G

Mar 7, 2020

If you are thinking/looking to do your career in machine learning or want to brush up your linear algebra concept and how this is used in Machine learning, then this course must consider or added to the to-do list.

By Linc T J J

Nov 29, 2019

i really enjoyed the short and concise lessons and the notebook exercises to summarise and put to practice all the learning after the end of each week. Content is easy to understand and follow。 Thank you Imperial!!

By Saurav K

Jan 4, 2019

This is an amazing course. With right blend of assignments and quizzes . The lectures are very clear and nice examples have been used to simplify the content to an extent that any one can easily grasp the concepts.

By JISHNU B

Dec 7, 2018

This is a very good course - less of symbols and more of intuition,which is more important in applications. Profs are excellent communicators - even if you zero knowledge of the subject - you will get 100% of it...

By MD. S S 1

Jul 27, 2020

Some of assignment problems were really challenging: especially in the Eigenvalue problems, in 5 th module. If anyone listen every single word of the instructor, he will definitely overcome. Very concise lectures.

By Sumedh K R

Apr 19, 2020

The course provides focuses on developing intuition to understand the math required to solve problems with only a fair amount of hand calculations. Looking forward to completing the courses in this specialization!

By 高宇

Jun 20, 2019

This course is designed at a good structure and show me many intuitives on linear algebra. It does not need heavy hand calculation, instead, it brings me into the underlying zen and to a fast track of application.

By Diego C

Jan 20, 2021

The professors have done a terrific job at making linear algebra understandable -at an intuitive level-, applicable, and enjoyable. I'm confident this class will help me dive deeper into machine learning topics.

By Ahsan G

Jul 15, 2020

The assignments were well designed. I have taken linear algebra as a part of my degree but this course really helped me understand the concepts and introduced me to the practical applications of linear algebra.

By GNANARAJ

This course has explored the application of Linear Algebra in Machine Learning. Now only I understand the use of linear algebra. I am capable of now imparting the knowledge gained in this course to my students.

By Mike W

Mar 16, 2020

Really good course for building an intuitive understanding of the concepts, as opposed to just rote memorization of formulas. Assignments also reinforce the concepts learned. Very relevant to machine learning.

By jim p

Jul 15, 2018

While not particularly difficult material, course seems designed to build intuition more than just grinding tediously through the mechanics. Grounded in practical examples. And extraordinarily well presented.

By Clara M L

Apr 12, 2018

I like how they are able to visualise everything.

Since I am good at understanding abstract concepts I didn't really have the need to visualise, so it was nice to get a different perspective on Linear Algebra.

By Kunal A

May 1, 2020

It was an awesome experience to learn how algebra can be conveyed through a computer code. The lecturers at Imperial college shared co-operative videos of learning. Coursera's subscription also helped a lot!

By shihab s

Apr 24, 2020

I would like to recommend every CS students to take this course to feel the essence of Linear Algebra. Well understandable couse it is and also the teachers are great and explaination was too understandable.

By Sumith N

Sep 26, 2019

Sooooooperb course! The intuition developed by the professors was so so so magnificent that, you can apply this knowledge anywhere. Physics, signal processing and data science. Enjoyed the course throughout!

By Noor A

Jul 5, 2019

Great course. Had a lot of fun building my intuition of Linear Algebra. With the unique way its taught id say its a must course for any bachelor's student who wants to get into the world of machine learning.

By Akshay L

Jun 7, 2019

This is one of the best refresher course on Algebra for anyone who is getting into the field of Machine Learning and Data Science.

I learned so much from the course for these past couple of weeks.

Great work.

By Dariush M

Sep 9, 2021

E​xceptionally clear teaching; I am re-learning material I had covered 30 years ago and I found the way it was taught so much better than what I recall being taught in the past; great examples and exercises

By Chandra B

Jul 13, 2020

This is very intuitive about the application of the concept mentioned in the course content which does not helps only in understanding the fundamentals but also it helps in applying it to the real problems.

By Aditya D

Sep 9, 2020

So great to have you as my lecturer(s), thank you so much to bring more point of view that i hadn't known about linear algebra and machine learning, i'm glad that i got more than wahat i've learned before.

By Alekhya C

Jun 7, 2020

I would like to thank Vignana Bharathi Institute Of Technology and Imperial College London for giving such a wonderfull opportunity during this lockdown.This course made me to become inquisitive asusually.

By Mahmoud S

Sep 19, 2019

I wish I was taught all of math this way, The instructors were able to show the intuition of a lot of basic concepts and deepen my understanding of them. Highly recommend for anyone doing Machine Learning.