Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra by Imperial College London

In this course on Linear Algebra we look at what linear algebra is and how it relates to vectors and matrices. Then we look through what vectors and matrices are and how to work with them, including the knotty problem of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and how to use these to solve problems. Finally we look at how to use these to do fun things with datasets - like how to rotate images of faces and how to extract eigenvectors to look at how the Pagerank algorithm works. Since we're aiming at data-driven applications, we'll be implementing some of these ideas in code, not just on pencil and paper. Towards the end of the course, you'll write code blocks and encounter Jupyter notebooks in Python, but don't worry, these will be quite short, focussed on the concepts, and will guide you through if you’ve not coded before. At the end of this course you will have an intuitive understanding of vectors and matrices that will help you bridge the gap into linear algebra problems, and how to apply these concepts to machine learning....

PL
Aug 25, 2018

Great way to learn about applied Linear Algebra. Should be fairly easy if you have any background with linear algebra, but looks at concepts through the scope of geometric application, which is fresh.

NS
Dec 22, 2018

Professors teaches in so much friendly manner. This is beginner level course. Don't expect you will dive deep inside the Linear Algebra. But the foundation will become solid if you attend this course.

1951 - 1975 of 1,990 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

By Venkata S M B

Sep 12, 2020

Not a great course. It started alright but really it lost track after two weeks. No references were made to the actual ML applications. This was more like a pointless Matrix knowledge.

By Gurrapu N

Apr 5, 2020

There is hardly any relation between videos and assignments. There should be a way to let the students know the right answers after completing the course to rectify the mistakes.

By Shrinath I

Apr 12, 2020

It was a decent course, but the teachers weren't particularly good. I had to often rely on other resources to figure out what was going on. That kind of ruined it for me.

By Muhammad Z A

Jun 9, 2020

Not a Good Course for Biggner's. Instructor do not have ability to simply topics taught in this course. They were just copy pasting its materiel from other slides.

By kumar s

Sep 7, 2020

Instructor Taught good at the beginning till week 3, but not good after that. very disappointed. Will Never recommend any of my friend or classmate this course.

By ASWINI R

Sep 11, 2020

i have not learned python so i am unable to do the assignments... the classes are too good to miss a certificate, but only if i could manage the assignment...

By Mathew S

Jun 23, 2021

Forums are a bit dead. Most helpful (and frequent) answers are a link to khan academy videos explaining the same thing, but better.

By Justina N

Aug 6, 2020

The final module went too fast and skipped over a lot of explanation. this really does under the good parts up to week four.

By Graham G

Mar 26, 2020

Not nearly enough detail on the concepts. I had to watch all of Khan Academy's Linear Algebra course to understand.

By Roy M K

Feb 3, 2021

There are few or no worked out examples, making it hard to solve quizes.

By Rishabh J

Feb 27, 2019

Not as challenging. Too basic

By Andrey L

Mar 23, 2021

Not for the beginner at all

By Yash G

Nov 27, 2020

Tough syllabus.

By NG, S L

Jun 1, 2021

This is absolutely not a beginner's course. The professors did well at explaining but there is a huge gap between what I've heard and what I've done in the exercises. There is not enough information to complete the exercises. When they recommended Khan Academy as a reference source, I feel that it should be a complete whole alternative set of source instead of a supplementary source because Khan Academy explains much slower but in-depth. 5 weeks is not enough for me to go from scratch to an advanced learner. I couldn't retain what I've learnt too because all I heard were words that mean nothing to a novice like me.

By Kim K

Sep 18, 2020

I wish I had read the most recent reviews for this course. I thought that by taking an online course, they would have produced a course that had a logical flow to it. I was trying to get caught up on some math that I missed taught by a TA that was all over the place. This was the wrong platform. I had to figure out what the first teacher was talking about by going online and learning it there. I was looking for a structured course that would teach me some basics. Not worth the money.

By Chris D

Feb 28, 2020

The lectures don't cover the material in the quizzes. The only supplemental material is a single, incomplete formula sheet. In fact, it's hard to see what resources they are trying to provide other than a forum where other users fill in the many gaps and suggest alternate sources of information. Maybe it picks up significantly in weeks 4 and 5, but after going through weeks 1-3, spending most of my time trawling the forums and looking for study/learning materials on other sites, I'm done.

By Lea S

Jul 19, 2020

While the course gave a rather high-level theoretical view of several concepts, the quizzes were based in applying those theories. Without examples of how to apply the theories, I don't feel I have a good understanding of the concepts or how they can be useful in real-world scenarios. I needed to use other resources to actually understand the concepts to be able to complete the course, which made the course rather frustrating and useless.

By John D

Jun 30, 2019

Overall, rushed and poorly explained. It attempts to condense a semester-long course into laughably short videos (maybe 30 mins per "week"). If you had linear algebra before, probably won't be very challenging. But if you haven't... there is no help/explanation to the quizes and the message boards are filled with unanswered questions. Essentially, this course builds a very shaky foundation.

By Tom D

The lectures will cover basic principles and then rather than build on basic principles to solidify the knowledge with practice and repetition, this goes straight to extremely challenging scenarios and me banging my head against a wall. Many comments within the forums are from other students like me who had to access external resources to bridge the gaps.

Not worth the time.

By Gemma G

Mar 8, 2021

Do not bother with this course. There are some amazing free resources on youtube (3 blue 1 brown, and rootmath are two). This is poorly explained, the grading system is ridiculous and buggy, there is zero support from the tutors. Worst Coursera course I have ever taken.

By Rajeesh O T

Oct 1, 2020

to be honest it was not that understandable i had to go through other materials and videos to get some concepts. i think I speak for a few portion of people who too would have felt the same!

By Rawitch M

Apr 14, 2020

Unclear explanation, week 3 final assignment is a huge discouraging no matter how you can do the previous exercise with ease or not. Maybe this course is not for me.