Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ
Feb 16, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG
Jun 11, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

26 - 50 of 474 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Bastián C M

Jun 30, 2020

Great course!. Waiting for Part 2!

By Smit D

Nov 16, 2020

Awaiting Part 2

By Vinay V

Mar 18, 2018

The professor is good in communicating the concepts. But you may need to go through the text book before you begin the course. The best part about the course is the emphasis on the examples and the real life application of Machine Design principles. The best part of the entire course is the part on fatigue. I have not seen any book that has explained the concept of fatigue so well. The course will be finished with a breeze if you have your Mechanics of Material and Mechanics of rigid bodies in good command

By Sarmad F Y

Oct 11, 2020

I am waiting for the other parts of Machine design since 1 year.

By pragyendra b

Feb 1, 2019

This is really a good course for people looking basic design analysis and introduction to machine design. The examples provided are apt and really interesting, like the hip surgery and Boeing airplane testing. The references are great, I have always followed metric units but the course is neutral grounds for people so I did not find any troubles on that part. I believe more courses of this series would be fun to complete. And for everyone looking forward to this course, I would say definitely do it, it would not take much of your time and the skills you would acquire are must for knowledge prospect.

By Elton Z

Apr 12, 2020

I would just like to say that it really works. Yes, it works, especially this amazing course taught by Dr. Kathryn Wingate, an excellent docent. Now, I feel much more confident as a junior Engineer, in Machine/Mechanical Design, thanks to the opportunity offered by both GeorgiaTech and Dr. Kathryn Wingate to enhance my knowledge and analytical skills on this branch. The environment of learning is perfect which includes: explaining, online materials, learning methodology, exercises, Dr. Kathryn Wingate's willingness to cover this course, and everything else. Highly recommended from me.

By shivam t

Jul 19, 2017

thank you for this course. Miss Kathryn Wingate ma'am for teaching us and guide us. this course very help me in solving fatigue failure problem and also made me more confident in static as well as in fatigue problem. i personally prefer this course to every mechanical engineer. i am eagerly waiting for MD part 2 and other course from Georgia Tech. i wish Kathryn ma'am will also teach us in future.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

By Syed R H

Feb 13, 2019

Course content was good but found instructors presence in discussion forum somewhat lacking.Questions asked in the forum remain unanswered more so related to case studies.Coursera certificate design is also sub par with the instructor’s signature barely legible(only artifacts) and no watermark.Would request Georgia Inst. and coursera to at least look into the certificate aspect.

By Youssef N

Jun 26, 2020

I extremely recommend this course to all mechanical engineering students, the course is simplified and well-organized. And thanks to Dr. Kathryn Wingate, she organized the course brilliantly and arranged the topics appropriately. I liked the way she linked theory knowledge to practical examples from her abundant experience. I really benefited from this course.

By Hugo E V R

Aug 12, 2020

Un curso excelente de diseño mecánico que sirve adecuadamente como un complemento a clases presenciales. Tiene un bajo nivel de dificultad para estudiantes familiarizados con el tema de teorías de falla, sin embargo, los ejemplos vistos en clase son sencillos y son muy buenos para principiantes y excelentes como re paso para estudiantes veteranos o graduados.

By Eduardo d M R

Apr 25, 2017

Very good course for beginners. Explanations are short and concise and very clear. Don't know how Part 2 is organized, but I think it would be nice to have also an introduction to CAD/CAE softwares like Inventor or SOLIDWORKS and to solve some of the examples with those softwares so people is aware of the existing numerical possibilities.

By SaRa S - س س

Dec 11, 2016

dr.kathryn is very professional and she simplify theories to perfectly understanding i become more understanding all f course contents and be more sufficient in machine design

i would to thank the doctor for her explaining

and thank georgia institude of technology for this useful course

By FRANCISCO J M

Feb 17, 2021

Es un curso excepcional. La exposición realizada por la Dra. Kathryn Wingate, es clara y precisa. Estoy esperando la segunda parte del curso. Muchas gracias Dra. Kathryn.

It is an exceptional course. The presentation by Dr. Kathryn Wingate is clear and precise. I am waiting for the second part. Thank you very much Dr. Kathryn

By Muhanad E H

Oct 26, 2020

I am a big fan of mechanical engineering. When it comes to design, I always have the motivation to understand the science behind these safety factors and stresses in order to manufacture more durable products. I do hope to continue adding more to my knowledge in the design and manufacturing fields of engineering.

By Hiren G

Sep 18, 2020

i am very happy by completing course on machine design which is core subject in mechanical engineering .professor have good deep and practical knowledge of this subject. I specially thanks Georgia tech college and professor who teach this interesting subject in covid19 pandemic via online mode. Thanks professor

By Renato D V V

Jun 20, 2020

This course has been really interesting and dynamic. It made me open my vision about the mechanical design and take into account many of the variables that can appear during the process. The content is perfectly explained by the teacher and the worksheets are very important to clarify the learned information.

By Jain P H

Jun 2, 2020

Hi,

I like this course very much. This course gives complete education of design of mechanical components under fatigue loading. Dr. Wingate taught this subject very nicely with the help of practical examples like Boying plane fatigue failure. My all doubts are now cleared. Thank you very much Dr. Wingate.

By dg h

May 10, 2021

Amazing course with an amazing Instructor. This course helped me understand the fundamental concepts of Stress, Strain, Fatigue, Material selection, etc. Kudos to Coursera for bringing out great courses like these and helping millions of students like me learn at the comfort of their home.

By Blesson S

Oct 29, 2019

It was a great course to know about Static and Fatigue loading and failures. Well structured modules and easy to understand and gain understanding of the concepts. Thanks Georgia Tech for providing such a course and thanks to Dr. Kathryn for making it simple and interesting to learn.

By gaurav k r

Mar 25, 2017

It was a wonderful wonderful experience. All concepts are concrete solid now, thanks to the excellent approach, way of explanation of concepts and closely developed questions that make you apply all your understanding. looking forward to enroll in further courses to offer .

By Abdulrahman H

Apr 17, 2017

Literally, It's one of the best courses i have ever taken. I have learned through out this course how to be precise and accurate in my calculation and the attention to details. The instructor is amazing and i really have learned a lot from her. However, her exams are not easy :) !

By ChandBasha S

Dec 14, 2019

This course was good, I enjoyed learning topics like Number designation of metals, Static & Fatigue Failure, their theories, Stress concentration Factors, Endurance, and Life of Rotation of parts. I have also learned a lot more things that are mandatory for every Design engineer.

By Hossam S

Aug 30, 2017

This course is well structured and covers most of the topics you need to know about stresses and failures.

You will need to have good background about materials and mechanics of materials to gain as much of this course.

Thank you Dr. Wingate for your efforts to deliver this course

By Wedyn N

Apr 24, 2020

The course touched very useful topics that were explained in a very clear and easy to understand manner. The course instructor taught the course with a good use of interesting cases as well as a good set off problems. The course was on the whole very enjoyable and informative.

By Jonathan A

Jun 5, 2017

fantastic class and great teacher,

I studied this material years ago in my academic studies and wanted to refresh my memory and knowledge.

I got a better understanding of the material now than from when I was a student.

lecture is very clear and professional. highly recommended