Back to Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know by University of California, Davis

We explore “10 things” that range from the menu of materials available to engineers in their profession to the many mechanical and electrical properties of materials important to their use in various engineering fields. We also discuss the principles behind the manufacturing of those materials. By the end of the course, you will be able to: * Recognize the important aspects of the materials used in modern engineering applications, * Explain the underlying principle of materials science: “structure leads to properties,” * Identify the role of thermally activated processes in many of these important “things” – as illustrated by the Arrhenius relationship. * Relate each of these topics to issues that have arisen (or potentially could arise) in your life and work. If you would like to explore the topic in more depth you may purchase Dr. Shackelford's Textbook: J.F. Shackelford, Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers, Eighth Edition, Pearson Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2015...

DK
Sep 23, 2020

This course is good for engineers. It illustrated many fundemental and important concept in materials science. The teacher is great who explain nearly everthings in details with words and experiments.

ZM
Jul 17, 2017

51 - 75 of 924 Reviews for Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know

By Anish H V

Oct 18, 2016

A MUST COURSE FOR BUDDING MATERIAL ENGINEERS/ MATERIAL SCIENTISTS!!

Professor Shackelford is so awesome!! The way he taught the course helped me grasp the fundamentals of material science better than that taught during my four year bachelor tenure in Material engineering.

By Syed N R

Jul 7, 2020

Material science is really vast topic & this course of 10 things which every engineer should know is due the fact the carefully selected 10 things by a subject matter expert in material science. Explanation on various topics , mark- up & diagrams is really awesome.

By John K

Oct 18, 2018

Great class on materials and how crystal and atomic bonds lead to material properties. The chapter on semiconductors was new material for me and very valuable to introduce me to valence and conduction bands. The other material was good review for me as a Mech. Eng.

By Nusayer A

Aug 31, 2020

The whole course was very enjoyable & interesting. The topics which were uncleared to me at previous times are now very clear to me. Thank you very much Professor James Shackelford Sir, UC Davis & Coursera for this course. I recommend everyone to take this course.

By MD. S M H

Jul 8, 2020

Ten really basic but very important and interesting thoughts about materials engineering are discussed in this course. Each engineer should know these basics before they dig deeper and complex things. The course really teaches some good stuff about the materials.

By 8048 S A T M -

This course is very essential for engineering student. Important topics from material science and metallurgy are discussed here.Nice to learn the important concepts of material science .and how the material behaves in the relative tempreture is nicely taught.

By Adwait K

Mar 27, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed this course as a refresher and also for building fundamentals of the materials. I learned how the "Properties of Materials Emerge from their Structure". Thanks to the instructors of the course for their efforts and brevity of the course.

By satti M R

Jun 12, 2020

I really enjoyed the online course. I thought it was well planned and layed out, easy for me to follow. The work load(h.w. & test)was just enough, so i could finish everything with enough time, learn about the topics and not feel over loaded and rushed.

By SriNikhil K

Feb 23, 2019

The explanation given in this course, even to the most confusing and commonly misconstrued of engineering phenomenons, is basic and self explanatory. I'd recommend this course to any engineer who's looking for a better introduction to material science!

By Vaibhavi V

Jun 28, 2020

Thankyou very much for this wonderful course. it has been interesting right from the first video until the end. the concepts have been explained in a very lucid manner. Quizzes were interesting too. All the essential topics have been covered very well

By Patrick R

May 9, 2021

I thought this was a great primer on materials science. The 5 weeks were well structured and built well upon each other. It should allow students to start asking well formed questions in order to drill down deeper into each of the specific 10 topics.

By Saraswati P

Sep 24, 2020

The course is very well structured and covered. I found the session more interactive due to lectures have taken in the laboratory and through field examples. Due to which I got the opportunity to seek the facilities available at UC Davis University.

By Shrikant B

Apr 30, 2020

THIS COURSE IS VERY USEFUL TO LEARN 10 THINGS WHICH ARE IMPORTANT TO KNOW MATERIAL BEHAVIOR. THE NEW THINGS WHICH I HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS COURSE ARE: USES ARREHENIUS RELATIONSHIP IN MATERIAL SCIENCE, THE MECHANISM OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF FAILURES.

By Archisha B

Jun 27, 2020

It was a wonderful learning experience. The concepts were greatly explained, with experiments and mathematical expressions. The teaching style was really easy to understand. Even the slightly newer and complicated topics were easy to understand.

By John A E

Oct 21, 2020

This course is helpful for all fields of engineering, such as for civil and mechanical engineering. This will be a great way for engineers to know about material science! I also commend the instructor because he elaborated all of the subtopics!

By Pranshu A

Apr 7, 2019

This course was extremely helpful to me regarding the knowledge I gained. Moreover, I am very thankful that this course was provided to me under financial aid and I could avail such an experience which would not be possible otherwise.

By Tavone S

Feb 19, 2018

This course was very helpful, as a up-coming student for material engineer I gained a enormous amount of useful information to help me progress though me first year of college. Thanks for the basic understanding of Material Science.

By Sujoy S

Covers a lot of Material basics and helped give emphasis on a lot of small concepts which our colleges had skipped in classes. Quizzes were also fairly challenging and a good way to do well is taking down notes from time to time.

By José C L

Sep 30, 2020

Very well thought-out course, I learned a lot and I'm eager to keep learning about this. This course is really really worth your time. Even the evaluations are guaranteed to make sure you are learning in the best way possible.

By Y S R R

May 15, 2020

very good explanation about all the fundamentals of the material science.Teaching will be a little bit fast what I felt.Experimental facilities whatever you have shown in the lectures gave a good understanding of the subject.

By SHASHIBHUSHAN S

Sep 23, 2021

Great course to review the topic of materials. and it has helped me to refresh the fundamental concepts covered during my degree. The material is presented in a clear way and I think this is a good approach to the subject.

By Mahima D

I being a metallurgy and materials science graduate took those course for refreshing my basic knowledge. I would highly recommend this course to all engineers, especially those doing research in developing newer materials.

By Eliška H

Oct 24, 2020

Great overview of important properties of materials from chemistry of solid state point of view.

I would not recommend this course for a complete begginner in materials, but for me it was a great review and repetition.

By ILAIYAVEL S

Thanks Professor for the wonderful presentation

It will help me this course to my college students

Dr.S.Ilaiyavel

Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineer

Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering

Sriprumbudur.

By Hussain D

Aug 7, 2017

I have to thank the course instructor he is a great scientist and great mind. He was so kind and have the ability to get through the boring things with an exciting way. I liked him so much and I am really thankful!!!