Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

DA
Jun 5, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.\n\nI really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

KB
Jun 23, 2020

I would like to thank vanderbilt university for providing such a wonderful course and i am much impressed by the use of the basic matrices in each and every programming purpose.thank you again!!!!:)))

126 - 150 of 3,584 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By David M C

Mar 12, 2017

Curso muy bien estructurado, con aprendizaje progresivo hasta obtener un nivel bastante elevado en las últimas semanas.

Los vídeos son amenos a la vez que útiles aunque los ejercicios son la base del aprendizaje de este curso.

Lo recomendaría a cualquier perfil cientifico-técnico que vaya a utilizar MATLAB a diario.

Aviso: los problemas requieren de conocimiento matemático notable, por lo que si flojeas en este ámbito te costará bastante resolver los problemas en el tiempo estimado.

By Mihir G

May 13, 2020

This was my first course on Coursera & I can say those 9 weeks were worth it ! The syntax of MATLAB and its various inbuilt functions were explained clearly by Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick. The assignments were relevant with a gradual increase of toughness towards the end. File I/O O/P functions couldv'e been explained a bit more in my opinion but overall it was a fantastic experience. I would like to thank Coursera and Vanderbilt University for making it available to us . Thank you.

By mehmoosh a

Jul 7, 2020

It was an awesome journey, learning was made very easy and step by step counseling of Mike Fitzpatrick made it really interesting and programming with MATLAB was made enjoyable by him. I would thank VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY for giving a free course in such pandemic condition so that the time at home was made fruitful and help in improving MATLAB programming with the help of assignments and also provided their solutions so that i have multi concepts of solving a single problem

By Binay C

Feb 23, 2017

This is one of the best courses I have done so far. I am thankful to the entire team of Vanderbilt university and Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick for such an amazing course. The course content, delivery and specially Grader has been designed in a beautiful way that kept me moving with the flow and motivated me to complete all assignments. Hats off to Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick and entire team.

Request you to please come up with course on Advance Matlab programming and Simulink as well.

By Olajide O A

Aug 24, 2020

I used to think MATLAB was strictly for engineering calculations (cos that's all I ever used it for in my undergraduate years), but this course has indeed shown me that there is so much more MATLAB can do. Professor Fitzpatrick's approach to teaching it is also makes it so exciting and easy to follow. This course has piqued the interest of the otherwise unwilling programmer in me. I am really glad it came my way, and I most definitely will be taking the sequel courses.

By Lennart B

Apr 2, 2019

For me this was an excellent start using Matlab. The content was presented very concise and clear. The grading system is very nice and the homework assignments did match the increasing knowledge. Overall I really enjoyed this course and would therefor rate it excellent! Thanks to everyone how helped making this course possible.

If I could state what I missed: I know this course is meant to be an introduction but a few more real application examples would have been nice.

By chungkwan H

Jan 10, 2021

What I like about this course is the programming exercises. Everyone can learn a programming language by studying a good textbook and do the exercises. However, a DIY evaluation of the exercises may not be as rigorous. This is where the course SHINES!! It does not let you get away from sloppy works. I learned the most from the programming exercises. I will do some reviewing on Matlab before continuing on the next courses. Having retired for 20 years I have the time!!

By Thierry C

Jun 25, 2020

If you never ever touch Matlab, but want to learn, then this course is for you. For years I had a Matlab book and pdfs training I never touch. This course give me the confidence to carry on. The teacher (in that instance Mike) is really good I teaching you how to use this software. I have to warn you that after lesson 5, it is really challenging and I spend even a day to find the solution. Do not let this to discourage you because at this end you will learn a lot.

By Jesus

Sep 19, 2019

I loved the course. But sometimes statements or sentences to explain the exercises are too difficult to understand for non-native English speaker (and that was especially noticeable in the last exercises, i.e., in week 9). The videos are pretty clear and pedagogical, but it would be quite good to improve those sections into the lessons. Lastly, I would also like to acknowledge the great work did by the Fitzpatrick professor: Congratulations, and thank you so much!

By ANISH K

Jun 18, 2020

thankyou sir,, Introduction to Programming with MALAB is very interesting, in this course ,I have learned how to calculated different type of matrixes, plotting , how to use use functions , loop, image blur , saddle point ,echo genterator, and more many topics.

finally , i want to say this matlab was very interesting because coursera metrial is enough to learn matalb

very very thankyou coursera , michal sir, and my college SAHARSA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING,SAHARSA

By Ummid I S

Jun 4, 2020

The last time I did computer programming was around 18 years ago with C++. I had almost forgotten the things.

Since the programming language has been changed drastically in last 18 years initially , I faced some difficulties in coping up . But thanks to the aptly designed course content and unique teaching methodology of Prof. Fitzpatrick and assistance from Mr. Brandon that I could make it.

This course will definitely be helpful for my research . Thank you !

By Gustavo A S

Oct 6, 2019

Muy buen curso. Al principio parece un poco aburrido porque comienza con (lo que para mí parecen) cuestiones muy elementales. Pero poco a poco comienzan a surgir problemas más complejos y los últimos ejercicios ya requieren el nivel que esperaba del curso. Una excelente opción para iniciarse (o reiniciarse) en Matlab. El libro que acompaña al curso trae material complementario y es una opción recomendable. En definitiva, un buen curso introductorio a Matlab.

By Paloma G G

Aug 25, 2017

Excellent course to introduce yourself in programming language. Lessons through videos are really clear and explained as simple as possible; so nobody should have no problem, even without any preovious experience. Furthermore, the ebook offered by the teacher is very helpful and can improve your formation and solve some doubts. Tasks are quite challenging but you can learn a lot from them.

I am very satisfied with the whole course and I strongly recommend it.

By sean t

Aug 4, 2017

An informative and robust course for anyone wanting to better understand MATLAB and programming in general. The presentation and wit of Dr. Fitzpatrick is welcome as he eases you into the world of computer coding. Some topics were just grazed, such as structs and cell arrays, as well as file formatting, but the fundamentals were explored in great detail. Overall, it is an essential for better understanding MATLAB and anything involving computer programs.

By Froilán F F

Dec 26, 2016

This course is a very practical way of learning step-by-step this phantastic language and its environment. It also helps to learn some MatLab-way algorithmics. The serious and ironical at the same time style of Professor Fitzpatrick have made this course even more amusing for me. Challenging homeworks and accurate video explanations make this course great. I am looking forward you to make an advanced course and a Simulink one too if possible. Good work!

By André d V C

Oct 2, 2016

Amazing course! One of the best I've done in my life. Very well designed, structured and lectured. The subjects are divided in a manner that helps you improve in computer science from zero to where you need to go. But I think if you have some knowledge about program languages and numerical calculus it will help you improve faster. But it's undoubtedly how great this course is. Congratulations to Vanderbild University, Professors Fitzpatrick and Ledeczi!

By Shahar H

Jun 11, 2020

The instruction was clear and to the point. The exercises were great, very informative and not overwhelming. Also, the length is perfect for an introductory course, enough to finish and build confidence fast. I recommend trying to write all the example functions for yourself during the lessons, it has helped me tremendously and I arrived at the exercises much more focused and ready. The forums seem nice, but I didn't use them much so I can only assume.

By Oladipo Q

This is the first online course I've enjoyed from beginning to end. The lectures were fun and very informative. I especially enjoyed working on the assignments. They encouraged me to utilize everything I was learning in the lecture videos. I went from knowing very little about programming to writing functional and versatile codes on my own within a few weeks. I would definitely recommend this course for anyone looking to get the basics about MATLAB.

By Adam C

May 13, 2020

It's a very well structured course with a balance of hand-holding, and being left to your own devices. The MATLAB online community, and external readings, are both incredibly helpful for debugging submitted code, and edging new users closer to better solutions, and ultimately, better code. The prof also laces each lesson with a helpful bit of dadjokery to keep you pushing through each assignment until you feel like you have accomplished something.

By Aditya R

Jun 13, 2017

The routine of the course is so flexible to learners that they can complete the course in any manner they want. Professor of the course is funny and teaches you like a Beginner, which is good. The syllabus covers most of the topic a programmer needs, so nothing to worry about it. I am looking forward to other MATLAB courses now. This course is definitely recommended if anyone wants to start using MATLAB, it will introduce you to the atmosphere.

By Ankit F

Jul 27, 2020

First of all, I am thankful to professor Mike Fitzpatrick and Akos Ledeczi for their wonderful course structure and syllabus. professor Mike Fitzpatrick explains everything in an easy and understandable way. And special thanks to Brandon Armstrong sir for his efforts and quick responses in the discussion forum. Before I ask any query, all types of queries had already been answered by sir, so we can see that replies and easily rectify problems.

By Meghal S

Jun 23, 2016

I like this course very much.

The way of explaining thins is good and innovative.

Mostly I like Homework section, we know that Homework is stressful but I like pattern of homework which is motivating for doing homework.

Although I enrolled very late I like this course very much.

This course improves logical thinking but hard attention is needed.

I would like to attend other courses if release in future.

Thanks A lot Professors and Mentors......

By Jeramee S

Jan 6, 2021

The instructor was very knowledgeable, and entertaining throughout the videos. The instruction was clear and concise. Everything taught was used in the completion of the assignments. The quizzes given during the earlier videos helped drive home concepts, and I would have loved to have more quizzes in the later videos to help break up some of the monotony in the longer ones. Overall a great course to learn and refamiliarize oneself with MATLAB!

By Gaurav S

Mar 28, 2019

I have been using MATLAB for some time, yet this course did not cease to amaze me by teaching the fundamentals of the language. In fact, I am feeling that I did not know a few MATLAB basics before doing this course. I wish I had done this introductory course earlier to improve my programming skills. I am very sure that leanings from this one are going to help me in my career.

p.s. - Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick is the coolest tutor I have ever seen.

By María J S G

Jul 10, 2017

Me ha parecido un curso muy recomendable y muy interesante para todos los estudiantes universitarios y quizás de Bachillerato, aunque el nivel no es muy sencillo, que necesiten hacer realizar cálculos matemáticos y programar funciones matemáticas en general y en particular de Algebra, Cálculo o bien que necesiten programación para resolución de problemas de Física , Química u otras Ciencias experimentales que requieran de cálculo matricial.