Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

DA
Jun 5, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.\n\nI really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

KB
Jun 23, 2020

I would like to thank vanderbilt university for providing such a wonderful course and i am much impressed by the use of the basic matrices in each and every programming purpose.thank you again!!!!:)))

551 - 575 of 3,640 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Heshan D

Jul 31, 2020

Very good course.I have learnt many new things related to programming.Also the instructor is doing his job in very friendly manner.This course is starting with simple content and ending with complex programming facts.

By ARNOGIANNAKIS A

Oct 20, 2020

This is the best MATLAB course someone can take, but beware it is very difficult to complete and it took me many hours to do so. On the other hand, after completing this course, MATLAB will not be that scary anymore.

By Farhad T

This is one of the best courses I've ever seen. Since I really new to programming and I need to learn the basics of programming with MATLAB, this course helped me to learn and practice in the way I needed.

Many thanks

By Yash k j

May 23, 2020

A perfect set of study pack for acknowledging the MATLAB programming course. A real life project based assignment and also contain basics understandings problems. A faculty concern very good on the every topic of it.

By VINYAS

Jun 8, 2018

The best course I have ever taken so far. Contents were really interesting and nicely arranged. Though the last 3 home assignments brought in a lot of struggle but it was worth it. Thanks for the wonderful course!!!

By Nrusimha N M

Oct 2, 2016

Very well designed course! The instructors from Vanderbilt have done an excellent job. I sincerely enjoyed every bit of it. Many thanks to Prof Fitzpatrick, Prof Ledeczi, and the moderators Prof Paul, Matt and Bjorn.

By RISHI D

Jun 24, 2020

It is a very necessary course for all the people who are seeking growth in the computational field. I found this course very robust and beautifully designed for beginners(faced difficulty in solving a few problems).

By Ravi T G

Dec 6, 2016

It's an excellent course for people with and without prior coding experience.

Deals with all basics necessary to kick start an interest and insight to MATLAB.

Advanced courses of the same would be greatly appreciated.

By Lavish G

Mar 17, 2021

Exceptionally well structured course for beginners. The instructor style of teaching is very interesting with a sense of humor which kept me engaged during the video lectures. Kudos to the creators and instructors.

By Sai M R K

Jun 2, 2020

The Instructor was clear and made the topic even clear..He tried his level best such that the listener wont feel any topic as boring.It would be better if he explained more on working with images(image processing).

By Ganesh S V M K

Sep 14, 2018

I was new to programming but now i can say that i am good at programming in matlab.topics are clearly explained.i recommend guys to do this course.ofcoure assiginments gets challenging when we go on to later weeks.

By Neha S

Apr 13, 2020

I have no knowledge in computer science. I started with Python and following was MATLAB. Surprisingly the instructor made it look like it is so easy to learn MATLAB and the assignments helped too .Thanks a lot !!!

By Arshpreet S

Jan 10, 2021

Simply Amazing , the instructor taught in such a way that most of the important commands were mastered in the lecture class only. One should definitely take this course to build foundation in MATLAB programming.

By Guilherme P B

Dec 10, 2020

By far, the best and most enjoyable course that i've done. Simply amazing: the explanation, exercises and dedication. I'll recommend it to everyone that wants to get into matlab. Thank you, you have my gratitude.

By Dipanjan A

Apr 28, 2020

Excellent course. Professor Fitzpatrick is a wonderful teacher. I had previous experience with Matlab and took this course to refresh my memory, It was a mixture of fun and challenge. I really enjoyed this course

By Teresa R R

Apr 3, 2021

The instructor is really good and funny, and the assignment are challenging but useful. I do recommend paying the full version to have access to the assignments; it's worth it. I very much recommend this course.

By Dick K

Oct 3, 2020

A great (re)introduction to MATLAB! Would be helpful if the assignments could give you more helpful feedback in some of the later assignments, but google searching errors can be helpful. Just takes a lot longer.

By abhijit b

Jun 27, 2020

Taught is very simple manner so that even person with non programming background can start coding with matlab. Prof. Mike was exceptional in teaching every concept. I will surely recommend to go for this course.

By Nidhi R

Apr 20, 2020

As a beginner this course is absolutely right choice to be picked up . All the topics are explained in very easy manner . Really, Coursera is the great platform for students to explore many more amazing things.

By Drumil P

Jan 28, 2017

Awesome for beginners . Improve your programming skills as well as analytic thinking towards problem. Solutions comparison is the best way to see how much still you can improve your code. I'll recommend it 100%.

By Cristian M

Sep 11, 2020

I'm satisfied with this course. The instructor is quite clear and has a great sense of humor. Exercises are a little bit difficult, but for that reason, I feel really confident to face big programming problems.

By S V

Aug 22, 2020

Excellent course for MATLAB beginners. A comprehensive collection of content, with easy and fantastic explanation. With self-paced learning, this is one of the best, if not the best course on MATLAB guaranteed,

By BRIONES, N A (

Jul 12, 2020

The instructor was great and easy to understand. I love both the lecture and how the instructor, Mr. Fitzpatrick, relate each end of the lesson to real life situations. It was a great and well-organized course.

By Varsha L

Jul 12, 2020

I have never finished a course like this before, and I can't explain how fabulous the instructor was and the quality of the curriculum as a whole. I 'd suggest this to my colleagues and friends, too. Thank you.

By dave t

May 5, 2020

being able to finish this class in less than a month was really amazing, I was not familiar with MATLAB coding but now I believe that I am capable of understanding MATLAB codes and writing some codes if needed.