Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

TM

Feb 12, 2018

I really enjoyed the first course, Learn 2Learn. The female professor is great but the boring old guy should have been kicked out of the course, as he do not provide anything of value for the course.

SN

Jan 18, 2018

Thank you Barbara. It was really enjoyable trip with you in this course. I have found many new learning techniques. Your positive behavior was very encouraging for me to begin a new list of my life!

51 - 75 of 1,115 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Gary D P

Dec 18, 2017

What can one say about this course that would do it justice. The narrator is never dull or boring. Never once did this course or the course Learning how to learn leave the student feeling overwhelmed. The pace was perfect and the tests appropriate for the subject matter covered. As my second course in the world of online learning I can honestly say that this a good waste of your spare time. Now I will admit the cable company misses me. No longer feeling the zombie draw to mindless shows night after night the only problem is the addiction to learning.

By Miguel H R M

Feb 02, 2020

I really liked this course, this was my favorite class. I learned a lot and understood all the subjects. I highly recommend this course. I was able to understand a lot about how to value my virtues, the way I learn and how to improve the things I do. It changed my perspective on life. It is also very fun and interesting, I felt that it took away my stress and made me feel very good.

The teachers are amazing especially for the way they present all the ideas, in a very simple, clear and easy way, the videos are short and very consistent and I love it.

By Merlin A

Oct 25, 2017

I enjoyed this course very much. The materials are easy to digest and the quizzes at the end helped to solidify concepts being discussed. I also enjoy the instructors communication/teaching techniques (lively, use of jokes and illustration, not boring, good voice and intonation). The information are rather basic (surface level) but I didn't mind. It serves more as reminder than hard core learning modules. This way, I can listen to the materials during my commute to work and still able to retain the information. Thank you for teaching this MOOC!

By Jana V

Jun 26, 2018

Aside Learning How to Learn, Mindshift is the course which helps you take a lead of your own life and have a look at your career from another perspective. The input si clear, the lectures keep your attention from the beginning to the end since the information is transmitted in an extemely memorable way. The instructors are talking from their own experience. I also love this course for not being purely psychological but for scientific and real life context. To conclude, if I were to describe the course in one word, it would be professionalism.

By Pernille O F

May 05, 2018

This is a course which will enrich you thinking and the way you approach future learning. It will show you why and how you keep your mind, your knowledge and your learning fresh, bendable and thriving.

The knowledge of learning, of altering your mindset and especially of the connection to the functions of the brain are all of importance for the quality of your life now and in the future.

Enjoy the many layers of this course. Enjoy every corner of the learning. And know you did not see all the corners - there is still much, much more to learn.

By Dwiriyo S S

Mar 31, 2020

I love this course! I like how this course is well-prepared and Prof. Barbara Oakley is very good at presenting ideas. I got a lot of new information throughout this course and I can apply it immediately in my life. The advice from course is relatable and comes from reliable sources. All of the videos from the course are thoroughly prepared and the reference are from trustworthy journal of science. I got a chance to complete this course during quarantine, and it took me only 3 days to finish it! I recommend you to take this course!

By Gabriela

Sep 02, 2017

I have to admit I find Learning How to Learn a better MOOC than this one but I can't act like this one is bad because it isn't!!! This is a great MOOC for those who haven't taken LHTL and for those who are thinking in changing their career choice or those who want to learn something completely different to what you know. This is not a deep academic course but rather a well done motivational MOOC that gives you pretty good tips to implement changes in your life that will help you to keep your mind and career fresh.

By Karl B

Feb 01, 2018

Mindshift had a lot of useful information and was quite fun. Even more so the course took on a mentor role which was completely unexpected. It re-framed a number of personal issues I was seeing as obstacles and flaws as things to work with that also had beneficial qualities. It corrected a number of misconceptions I had that turned around and supercharged my curiosity. I loved Learning How to Learn and was eager to take Mindshift. It surpassed my expectations and changed my perspectives in a very positive way.

By ari r

Nov 13, 2017

Simple but pointed content. I wish I could measure the increase of my performance before and after this course because I am sure there will be a quantifiable increase.

I am taking this course in conjunction with the course "Bhuddism and modern psychology " hosted by Princeton. The mindshift course has helped be be more patient with myself, and the other course has helped point out how I have been driven by emotional decision making and emotional distractions which is helping me make small changes daily.

By Matias M

Nov 04, 2019

Excelente curso. Muy útil para aquellas personas que no se sienten capaces de emprender nuevas aventuras de estudio, o de personas que tienen ganas de cambiar sus vidas, ya sea en lo labora, como en lo profesional. Te da nuevos y refrescantes puntos de vista sobre el aprendizaje, y derriba muchos mitos sobre el aprendizaje, y la capacidad de aprender a medida que envejecemos. Además, tiene un gran valor motivacional. Barbara y su equipo han hecho, una vez mas, un gran trabajo!! Gracias por todo!!

By Cynthia B

Mar 30, 2020

The course was every bit and more than what I expected it to be. It was both innovative and enjoyable. The Instructors helped me to see learning in a whole new light. The course also inspired me to purchase the book Mindshift because the course only touches on a few tips but there's a whole lot more to learn inside the book. Thank you for allowing this course to become available for curious minds such as myself that have a heart to learn without hurting our wallets at a time like this.

By Wai L L

Dec 02, 2017

The course provides different angles of viewing the non-alignments between our passion and career. Those tips or tricks provided to solve such incompatibilities are very practical and well supported by neural science. The discussion exercises or peer assignments are also very encouraging and thoughtful. The presentation is interesting and fun too. Thanks two professors, community mentors, Coursera staffs, and fellow classmates for making this course so useful as well as valuable.

By Arnuld

Apr 09, 2020

From their earlier MOOC, authors have taken a step-up and this is bigger and detailed version of Learning How to Learn. I think if anyone can take one MOOC in their lifetime, then this would be it. Doesn't matter what kind of profession you are in, this will teach you facts with latest scientific proofs and explanations how does your mind work. Somethings will take you by surprise for sure. And yet, every single explanation has been made so simple and straightforward. 5/5 stars.

By Berta L F F

Oct 17, 2017

This MOOC: "Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential" has been a great, enjoyable and fun experience to expand my skills in every way.

it is very useful for applications in every circumstance, objective and desires of improvement, has a lot of motivation, simple language and keeps the attention to start it and finish it.

thanks to Barbara and Terrence for the time dedicated and the quality of the material. I'll see you in your next MOOC.

By Ahmad A

Mar 28, 2018

Barbra Oakley returns with another impressive and insightful.

Whlie continuing with her unique style to tends more towards teaching by nice wise lady, instead of academic professor style, she conveys helpful and scientifically proven insights, while maintain our enthausiaism and excitment to continue learning and build the suitable mindshift.

I am already excitied and anticipating her upcoming MOOC.

Many Thanks for her, professor Terry and all the MOOC and coursera team.

By Adalis F

Aug 22, 2018

My virtual MENTOR Prof. Barb , last week was the gold drop of the course. I loved, I'm really thankfull with all the content of your course , your magnifique way to transmit them as well.

Discover my hidden potential, is part of it , for me ihas been more than that, It is a TRAINING NON STOP DEVELOPING YOUR INTELLIGENCE.

Thanks to all of you, Porf. Barb Oakley and Dr. Terry Sejnowski I will recomend this course for all kind of people for a better quality life

By Nikita S

Dec 30, 2017

Great course! I was stuck in my life feeling like I can't study anymore I want to stop learning. But this course gives me reasons to continue studies and different techniques to control the mind, to avoid procrastination and the motivate me to learn new skills. Thanks, Dr. Barbara and Dr. Terrence for great insights.Take the course as you can complete the whole course in 1 week ( 1 week of course in 1 or 2 days) And also it feels nice and motivated after completion!

By Lawrence S

May 15, 2017

The gold standard for MOOCs. Barbara and her team successfully gives an excellent sequel to their first MOOC, Learning How to Learn. The course was designed to give practical insights about career and life enhancement in today’s information age. I can say that this course encouraged me to pursue a career in data science even though I have already started a career in engineering. If it turns out well, I will definitely look back at this course as my stepping stone.

By Winnie L

Apr 28, 2018

Worth the time and this course changed my perspective towards lots of things. Strongly recommened. If you are not sure about whether this course will help you, please spend just 5 minutes to watch any of the course video to find out for yourself. I'm sure the concepts they shown in this course will blow your mind. Plus they made this course extremely easy to understand and master. I didn't get 100/100, but I'm happy with all of the knowledge that I learnt.

By GANGBE K B C

Jan 19, 2020

Ce fut fantastique et ça m'a aidé dans le développement de ma vie personnelle. J'ai beaucoup appris à travers ce cours et je peux vous assurer qu'à la fin du cours, je ne suis plus la même personne que j'étais avant de le commencer. Je le recommande à toute personne qui aimerait apprendre comment surmonter ses propres limites et se donner les chances de découvrir ses propres potentialités. Heureux d'avoir appris beaucoup de choses à travers ce cours.

By Daniele M

Aug 24, 2017

Definitely interesting topic, treated in a simple and down-to-earth way. Even if you don't have even the most remote will to embark into a "mindshift", it conveys extremely interesting insights into learning in general and some tips and tricks to approach today's everchanging world.

However, the biggest takeaway from the course is the importance to keep a lifelong learning attitude.

The only small criticism would be to the too MOOC-centric approach.

By Lidia G

Jun 14, 2017

Changing fields is possible. Obstacles and failure are the best thing that can happen to you. Your interests are a value, not just a waste of time. Women and sciences can go together.

The ideas this course offer are easy to understand and so true it's amazing noone ever put them all together and told us when we were younger. The speakers are clear and explain scientific studies and theories in a very clear and entertaining way, easy to remember.

By Ocean1997

Nov 09, 2017

I come to this course after I finished "Learning how to learn". I find that I can learn a lot of tricks to deal with my mindshift in my daily life. The course itself is really helpful. What's more, Barb' s teaching style is really fancy and she can always encourage me though we don't have face-to-face talk. So beyond taking the course and learning something new, enjoying the time with Barb on MOOC is another main reason that I take the course.

By James H

Apr 08, 2018

A very good course full of interesting ideas and techniques to help you become the best you can be. It is not a difficult or overly time consuming course, yet it is jam packed with examples on how you can improve your lifetime opportunities. Recommended as a good start point for those seeking to commence lifelong learning plan or change career. Note that the course goes a long way to repeat that age is not a barrier to change.Recommended.

By verna k

Jul 23, 2017

Another wonderful course offered and presented. I enjoy the structure, the content, the workload for each week. I really felt it had opened up ideas to work towards getting back into the workforce post maternity leave. I also really enjoyed the idea of being a better learner and also looking at a mindshift within myself. I am not 100% there but I feel like this course has given me the motivation/inspiration to make actionable goals.