Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

SM

I enjoyed this MOOC. It is very well-done and clearly covers the topics of mindshifting along with career advancement. Also--good illustrations and visuals/sounds which assist in the learning process.

EC

Aug 27, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. I am 64-years-old and this course taught me that you can learn anything new no matter what age you are. I am now broadening my passions and learning is a lot more fun.

176 - 200 of 2,723 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Maged R

Aug 21, 2017

Mindshift continues the success of Learning How To Learn, a catchy course that helped me to plan and set points of what to look for in my learning journey, how to set goals and how to overcome procrastination and how to deal with emotions from past experiences and the worries of the future, it also reinforced the importance of reading and shed the light on MOOCS and their invaluable weight in today's world.

By Priya K S

Jun 27, 2020

I enjoyed this course and found it very useful and practical. The content and presentation was really good. Keeps the interest going with simple concepts backed with scientifically proven research and data to explain the concepts. Helped in bringing out new perspectives to any situations in life. The sessions were short and clear with fun learning which helps you understand and retain the concepts clearly.

By Vinson C

The instructor Dr. Barbara Oakley is very good. Her class is fun, easy to understand and the teaching is practical and useful at the same time. It gives me a new perspective of how online learning should be. Whether you are having trouble learning, feeling frustrated about your career, questioning about your own ability, or looking for ways to learn effectively, this is the class you don't want to miss.

By Danica B

Sep 21, 2017

It's a great course, a brush up on Learning how to Learn and expanding it to realize - you can learn anything!It reviews basically all the concepts from Learning how to Learn, and builds wonderfully.If you are doubting whether you can learn something or if you keep failing and procrastinating, this course will give you amazing advice supported by research on what to do to improve the position you're in :)

By Diana S

Feb 11, 2020

This is a great course for everyone. It is well designed. The content and delivery method is excellent. Mindshift is filled with a treasure chest of tips and tricks for learning and skill development. The course contains a perfect mix of practical and theoretical content. I suggest everyone take this course as the information will have a positive impact on your life happily leading you to a Mindshift.

By M E

Thanks to Dr Barbara, Tery and all other team members for presenting this wonderful and lively course. I completed this course, spending 2 hours a week on it and I have a good reputation for being taken this course. This course broadened my outlook about the learning process. This will help me to take a good plan for my futue plan. I hope this team will bring new MOOC as soon as possible. Thanks again!

By Joshua A W

May 13, 2020

I can say this course is perfect. The lecturers provide informations and insights from what you can learn and share. There are various illustration in each of the video provided with a humor added. I can say that i'm not bored to repeat this course again. Dr. Barbara Oakley also shared about her history and her experience on what she has learned during her life which is very inspiring to the students.

By Vivek

May 03, 2017

Best MOOC of self development. Often we never discussed topics like how to change field specially when we grow older, reason is, proof less myth spreaded in the society about learning new things at old age. This MOOC debunked such myth and also give insightful coverage of different aspect of mindshift. If you are reading this review I would personally recommend to take this MOOC if you want mindshift.

By Dries G J

Jul 30, 2017

Loved this course! It is a really great way to help me overcome the fear of being "stuck in a career" or thinking that the skills I have are "not relevant" in the future job market. This course gave me practical examples of the best ways to broaden my existing passions, know the benefits of doing simple things such as taking breaks, finding a mentor, reading more and discovering my hidden potential!

By Aya E F

Dec 31, 2017

This course has been very beneficial to me. It tackled through a lot of important topics for me such as procrastination and career shifting. It encouraged me and made me believe that I am on the right track of my career.

It's simple, easy and highly recommended.

We're never too old to keep learning and it's never to late to enhance your skills and increase them.

Thank you Dr Oakley and Dr. Sejnowski

By Ayisha L

Jul 16, 2020

I enrolled this MOOC to learn how to learn and my expectation was fulfilled to a 100%. I learnt that human brain is a powerful tool whose abilities are limited by human thoughts and beliefs. The course, its excellent videos and the instructor gave mind blowing insights. I don't normally rate high, but this course deserves a 10/10. I cant thank Coursera enough for housing such incredible courses!

By Georgia W

Apr 27, 2020

I have never done a MOOC before and i am so thankful this was the first one i chose to do. The bar is certainly set high now for any other MOOCS i will be taking in the future. I had not done much learning for a while so i was very nervous to start up again. This course helped me gain confidence and knowledge around always learning and i cannot take what i have learnt out into the real world.

By Adrianto R

May 01, 2020

I love this subject. Learning How To Learning and Mindshift is a complete set of tools that make me more comfortable in learn. I learn that learning style is similar to driving or riding style in real or virtual motorsport world. So i can adapt what I learn from virtual motorsport or other video games skills to my learning style and process. Thank you Mrs Barbara for this incredible journey.

By Wanderley G

Jan 10, 2018

Study is my hobby and I think that I am much more prepared to get more from it after attending this course. You are going to find discussions about meditation, active learning, reading habits, memorization tricks and more. You are also going to find some important discussion about how much important is conceptual understanding and practice with repetition. I wish you enjoy as much as I did.

By Judy O

Apr 13, 2020

Course information applicable for every age and stage of career re: new methods of framing your mindset about how to learn new information and how what you have thought of a negative trait may actually be an advantage for creativity, short cuts and deeper concept understanding. Easy to keep up with just a few hours a week through short MOOC"s, keep concepts, polls and only a few tests.

By Margarita G S

May 07, 2020

A very comprehensive course with plenty of advice and strategies to learn better and pursue our dreams in a more effective way. The videos are interesting and funny, there are plenty of mini tests and mini forums to test our knowledge and Barb and Terry have put their passion into this course just as much as in Learning to Learn. I highly recommend you take it, it's worth every second.

By Thomas S

May 19, 2017

Very inspiring and motivating MOOC by Barbara Oakley and Terrence Sejnowski. They provide clean lessons in a structured and appealing way. I liked the quizzes, the integration of entries (essays) to the discussion forum. I learned a lot while having fun with this extraordinary course. Finally I want to mention the natural, but fundamental way both Barbara and Terrence teach the course.

By Julián J

May 10, 2017

I loved this MOOC, although I had to travel to a place with no internet connection during more than half of it. Barb, thanks for your work. Next time, I'd love to learn more tips about how to TEACH. It happens that I find myself often in a teacher role, either formally or informally, and I need to learn how to make my teaching more impactful (without creating a MOOC for the matter).

By Eunice C S Q

Apr 29, 2020

Best course that I've ever attended. Presenters and materials are very interactive that makes it more interesting to learn.

After taking this course, I've start to compare with other courses on how they teach the course. It's either only showing the presenter face while they talk, or only showing the slides and the presenter talks.

Mindshift is a must take as it is very interesting. .

By Eliseo M

Mar 16, 2018

Alright learned so much! I love these instructors! They have literally changed my outlook on life and how I can accomplish so much if I can figure out how to do it! You're not limited to your beliefs if you don't want to be. Change your mindset for a fixed mindset to a growth mindset and you'll enjoy life so much more I promise. Thank you Dr.Terry and Dr. Oakley

---Eliseo Magallon

By Bappaditya D

Jun 28, 2020

This is a great course for people who thinks that they are slow learners, cannot remember easily, have doubt on many things. It shows that those are actually advantage for learning new things. It encourages to take new challenges everyday. The concept Pomodoro I particularly liked. It is helpful to bring people back into action rather than wasting time in destructing activities.

By Brandon S

Jun 20, 2020

Hi, Coursera! Thanks for this very informative course. Would like to ask to kindly update my certificate on this course. I was able to complete and passed the honor code assignments. But it seems that the provided certificate for me has no honor code banner on it. I look forward for your positive and prompt action on this request. Thank you and more power! - Brandon Sibbaluca

By Yemao

Jun 07, 2020

The best course that I have ever take on coursera (except the one taught by Andrew Ng on Machine Learning). Babara is such a nice teacher that she not only teaches you how to understand yourself and see your potential, but also provide you means and approaches to develop in a long term. Mindshifting is life-long journey, the same as learning. Strongly recommended to everyone!

By Zach

Apr 23, 2020

Absolutely excellent and helpful foundational course for learning. Better coverage and production than the Learning How to Learn course (though that is also pretty good).

I would recommend this to anyone looking to restart or augment their learning, especially for those who plan on taking MOOCs or other online courses related to their current field or secondary skill fields.

By Safwa M

Mar 09, 2019

this course has many impacts on me and my mind in a very impressive way . from adopting the concept of broaden my passions instead of following them blindly till the idea of being flexible and to accept the changes around me. another that i had learned from this course is how to learn from the past and how to try to improve yourself whenever the train of life has to stop.