Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

SM

I enjoyed this MOOC. It is very well-done and clearly covers the topics of mindshifting along with career advancement. Also--good illustrations and visuals/sounds which assist in the learning process.

LV

May 01, 2020

201 - 225 of 2,488 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Sarah s

Apr 14, 2020

one of the best courses i have ever taken

makes your mind blow !!

highly recommended

. . . . . . . . .. . .. . .. . . .. . .. . . . . . . .... .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . .. . . .. . .. .. . .. . . .. . . . .. . . .. . . . .. .. . . . . . . .. . . . . . .. . . . .. . . . ... . . ... . ... . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . . . .. . . .. . . . .. .

By Christopher G

Apr 29, 2020

Loved this MOOC. Second best after Learning How to Learn (which is the first part in this series). If you liked/loved that MOOC, you will love this MOOC too. It builds on concepts established in that one and adds a little bit more. I have experienced a mindshift while taking this course and you will too as long as you are paying attention and have an open mind!

By Anel A

May 01, 2017

Barbara and her team are amazing. I can relate so much to many examples given in this course from how we can feel when learning something new to how we can refrain a stressful feeling to keep going with a positive learning experience. I highly recommend this course to gain confidence in our abilities and keep our brains fresh to learn how to learn new skills.

By Nikhil N P

Aug 24, 2019

This course and its predecessor (LHTL) teaches one, invaluable techniques to improve learning and remember for a longer duration and be more creative. These techniques can be implemented in our daily lives very easily and makes us more confident and helps us to overcome our fears and sense of inadequacy due to poor memory retention or poor learning technique.

By Gabriel T

Dec 18, 2017

It's been a remarkable gain to find out I was already using some of the concepts presented here for a long time without knowing, and of course to discover some of the new, complementary once. I find this course to be very effective on your thinking behavior , especially if it is done in completion to their related MOOC : Learning How to Learn. Good Job guys.

By Adilvane

Sep 20, 2017

This class was fantastic for my kids and me. Some of the videos I had to call my daughter (7th grade) to watch and take notes on how to better knowledge received in class and online. I also had the opportunity to take some of the tips to my nephew, he is a senior high school and doing some online classes, and some of the tips from Barbara were just amazing.

By Aimee R

Apr 05, 2020

Great information! The material in this course is fairly easy to digest, but you really have to think about where you are in your life and your own situation to get the most from the lessons. I really enjoyed the more-scientific lectures about the functions of the brain and how to maximize your memory. This definitely gave me a new perspective on learning!

By GOPINATH S

Jun 09, 2020

If anyone wants to think creatively, take decision, learn new things, change carrier, and understand the real facts about how your brain reacts to your actions, take this course up. Very well designed lectures, excellent delivery, appropriate examples and astonishing animations make this course very unique. Thank you for providing such a wonderful course.

By Miriam R B

May 08, 2020

Thank you so much to our dearest teachers and also to the people behind this great MOOC! This is really helpful and amazing! Most of all, learnings are very useful in real life but ofcourse we must take an action and use our learnings. As said if you don't use it, you'll lose it. Happy to take the opportunity of learning these online courses. God bless.

By Alan M

Apr 30, 2020

I found this course to be inspiring and also consolidating what I already knew or already practised. It also reminded me of techniques I had forgotten. I found this presentation style felt "light weight" and didn't seem to be introducing a lot of new material, but after completing it, I could see that I had remembered and practised a great deal. Thanks.

By Ching M J M (

May 07, 2020

Amazing course with a lot of creative, fun and helpful ways in helping learners to better understand course concepts! It teaches a lot of interesting insights that can further educate learners, as well as boosting their confidence! Fantastic usage of illustrations and techniques in helping learners in their study. Great instructors with sense of humor!

By Sripooja M

Feb 20, 2019

Learning how to learn has a great impact on the way I think, I did not want the course to end. When I saw that Mindshift is an add on to LHTL I was very happy as wanted to learn and understand more. LHTL, Mindshift are two great courses! I enjoyed learning lot of intriguing stuff. Thanks to the content makers for providing such well curated content :)

By Courtney S

Jul 29, 2020

I really enjoyed this MOOC. I took away a lot of pointers to help me in making a Career change and Life in general. The lessons are short, I didn't feel overwhelmed. Depending on what is being talked about,depends on how much notes I took about a subject. I liked how certain subjects were broken down. It made it easy to understand and follow along.

By Vanessa K

Jun 07, 2020

This course is highly recommended for any one at any age if you are thinking you are not able to learn any new things any more. Do not despair! The course is broken down into very simple but impactful parts with videos not more than 5 minutes each. This helps to prevent fatigue and also helps in my learning. Engaging, fun and very useful materials!

By Lisardo P G

May 07, 2017

Another outstanding MOOC by Dr. Barbara Oakley and Dr. Terrence Sejnowski. Very instructive, motivating and inspirational. The course is mainly composed by catchy videos that are succinct, really funny, and in most cases, helpful and revealing. The tasks to be done are easy and they do not take too much time to be completed.

Definitely recommended.

By Jorge B C

Jul 13, 2020

Applause, for making this inspirational MOOC to everyone. This made my life change my point of view from different perspectives and I am so happy that one by one, I am now discovering the answers to my questions in life. I can't wait to be a mentor of someone or some people that will also be inspired like me. Kudos to these instructors! #Mindshift

By Fiona R

Oct 30, 2017

This course is really appropriate for all levels of learners. I feel it helps to have some business experience to appreciate the context Barb provides around changing careers, but it would certainly be excellent exposure for those early or later in their careers as well. Superb organization and execution. Not a minute wasted. Highly recommend.

By Felicia V

Jul 30, 2017

A suitable MOOC for everyone served in bite size pieces. All the materials are taught in a metaphor and sometimes pictures, which makes it easier to grasp. Definitely one of the best MOOCs of all time and I don't regret any second from learning this. I never thought 4 weeks of taking this course would broaden my perspectives on how to see things.

By Rocío G R P

Aug 07, 2020

Esté es un curso fuera de serie, de verdad se aprenden aspectos que por mucho tiempo los tenemos como prejuicios y acá nos hacen ver que las cosas no son como la pensábamos, el aceptar que no tener una memoria privilegiada puede ser una gran ventaja cambia totalmente el panorama de querer aprender, es un excelente curso y altamente recomendable.

By nishi t

Aug 06, 2020

I positively loved this course. It has helped me introspect, reduced my anxiety and made me a happier person. Concepts of pomodoro, diffused thinking, mastering pie & T of skills, value of persistence with flexibility have imbibed in me a hunger for lifelong learning. It has given me skills to become a good mentor and delivering professional.

By KETAN B

Course is crafted in an amazing and addicting manner.It is the course that one should necessarily take to develop one's personality. Taught in such a wonderful manner that even dozens of words won't do justice how well this course is organised and how interesting it has been made with the help of excellent illustrations, analogies and metaphors

By Niklas K

Mar 22, 2020

After "Learning how to learn" it was impossible to have a better MOOC in the same field. It is a great course - especially for people who are not learning right now or who wants to improve his/her learning style/skills.

And obviously Barb and Terry are awesome. Watch 30 sec of the first video and you will fall in love with their teaching style.

By Devina I C

Jun 24, 2020

Lots of useful and practical knowledge I can learn from this course related to how we learn, develop capabilities, and unlock potentials. If I may suggest, it'd helpful not to only use videos as the medium but to explore different formats like articles or podcasts to complement the materials. Overall, it's an interesting and insightful course!

By Luann T

Apr 02, 2019

I feel much more confident in my ability to become a better learner, better student, and better person overall, and that is pretty amazing. It will take practice to put these new tools into effect, but I have several MOOCs I'm planning to sign up for that will give me plenty of practice time toward perfection. I highly recommend this course.

By TAREK

Apr 12, 2020

Its my first e-learning experience and which see it exceptional and very beneficial. Many thanks for all of who contributed and worked hard to make this course a successful one specially for those who work behind the scenes. I'm happy and cheerful to have this awesome course added to my achievements. Special thanks to Barb and Terry - Tarek