Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

LV

May 01, 2020

I enjoyed this MOOC. It is very well-done and clearly covers the topics of mindshifting along with career advancement. Also--good illustrations and visuals/sounds which assist in the learning process.

SM

2451 - 2475 of 2,793 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Salman K

Jun 09, 2020

Good

By SANDRA K

Jun 07, 2020

Good

By Parthib G

Good

By X I V

good

By dhawal b

May 16, 2020

good

By Dr M S K

May 05, 2020

Good

By Ahmad A

May 03, 2020

Good

By Mohammad M A K

Apr 23, 2020

nice

By Sonu k p

Apr 22, 2020

good

By MD. S I S

Apr 19, 2020

Jun 06, 2017

I

By YM

Aug 12, 2017

This course wasn't as eye-opening to me as "Learning How to Learn" was, but nonetheless I still learned some interesting things, so I think it was still well worth the time.

The transcripts of the lecture videos seemed to have more grammatical errors, but that was only a slight inconvenience.

Also note that there are some quiz questions that ask about some of the concepts mentioned from the "Learning How to Learn" course.

Despite those concerns, overall the contents of Mindshift had some obvious points to it such as how it's never too late to learn something or change your career path (regardless of your age, gender, ethnicity, etc.), anyone can learn anything at any time, and people should be open-minded about their opportunities and surroundings.

Of course, there are some specifics that the course covers that provide extra detail to the obvious points I mentioned above (as well as other not-so-obvious points).

And to be fair I guess this course was more of a course that was meant to boost your confidence and encourage you to maintain your humility than anything else anyway.

If you expected to learn something you didn't already know, then that's not going to happen that often in this course. It is still worth the time though. After all, this course is "Mindshift", now "Mindblow".

It's supposed to convince you to change your perspective and remember the things that you may have forgotten such as your own self-confidence. It's not meant to outsmart you.

By Dmytro I

Jun 19, 2019

It's hard to actually review this course because topics covered are very wildly all over the place and on different levels of knowledge. Correct way to handle this course would be to actually divide this course into two - first two weeks that should be called "Advanced learning" and week 3 and 4, that are more about encouraging people to change their lives. And, I believe, these are two totally different topics...

For anyone that wants to learn how to learn Week 2 is a total and absolute MUST listen. Several times...

Weeks 3 and 4 are only for people that wants to change their work life or/and level of work happiness. Important topic, no doubt about it, but to more limited number of people.

So if you enjoyed "Leaning how to learn" - you'll find Week 1 and 2 very useful. Otherwise check this course only if you consider changing you profession or way of work life.

Oh, and too few videos from Dr. Sejnowski. His videos in "Leaning how to learn" were a great contrast to easy-going and fun videos from Dr. Oakley - and for me it really helped to keep my focus on the MOOC.

By Mikaella C

Apr 28, 2020

This is the very first MOOC that I took and I wasn't discouraged and disappointed. I wanted to take online courses to pass time as we are all under quarantine because of the COVID-19 pandemic.During the first week, I became lazy and postponed taking the classes. But after all, I decided to finish it. I like how I can see the instructors's faces because it made me feel like I was in a classroom setting. I also appreciate the humor and jokes incorporated while discussing the topics. I was able to learn a lot and see things in a different perspective every time I will finish a video.I also enjoyed reviewing other people's submissions on the peer-reviewed assignments because I learned how to grade properly based on the rubrics and give an honest, respectful review on other people's work.The only think I didn't like though, is how some sound effects are too loud (eg. the "ting" bell sound at the start of every video). As I was using earphones, it hurt my ears hearing the sound.All in all, I enjoyed and earned a lot from the course.

By Pramit B

Apr 30, 2017

Mindshift as a course was "easy", and "helpful". What i have learnt from the course can be applied to my life to make it slightly better. There is a wealth of exercises in self-help today on the internet and from books. It doesn't hurt to do this course, its well put, and you learn new things(sometimes). What you gain from this course is ultimately dependent on how much you are able to exercise the points of this course. Given the small amount of time you are investing in completing the course (it is a very low requirement course and you can finish it in 2 days if you want to, although that is not recommended), i would suggest you take it, since the investment pays off depending on how new you are to the material and how much you are able to put it to use.

By Bev C

Apr 21, 2020

The course has great information and I found it interesting to the end. I did find the videos hard to watch and to keep my attention on what was being said, at the same time. My own thoughts kept intruding, and so I learned to look away while I listened. This helped a lot. I love how the course has mini tests after the videos and a quiz at the end of each chapter. They helped me see where I needed to pay better attention and kept me focused throughout the course. This course has really helped me learn how to pay attention. Now, if I even think I've missed something, I now back up the video so that I catch it all. It's important not to miss anything. Online learning is so much better than in-class learning just for this reason.

By Tulika B

Jun 12, 2020

I was in doubt of many things on my mind , which got cleared in this MOOC. Like stacking up multiple skills , whether it is alright to be a jack of all trades and now , I'm confident about being one. I am more comfortable with my so called bad traits , I just need to be more conscious about them , from now on. I'm glad that my hiker brain , is afterall ,not an issue at all. The technique of verbalising my emotions to just get past through them , is such a tool , which is going to stay with me , forever. Pomedoro technique is a valuable tool. I've gathered a lot of knowledge and insights from this video. It surely did change my perspective on my stand for changing my career. I'm confident about that as well. Thank you

By Susanne O

Apr 11, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and both of the instructors. The information is so clearly presented and easy to follow, that it makes it a pleasure to tune into each lecture. I gave this four stars rather than five, as I had high expectations after taking "Learning how to Learn", and I felt like the course had room for more material. I would have enjoyed even more of a focus on the links between neuroscience and the practical aspects to apply to your own life, and more insight into the benefits of meditation. One of my favorite parts of the course was Barbara's interview with the Singapore entrepreneur, as he had a incredible wealth of wisdom to share from his experiences.