Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

AA
Nov 23, 2020

very informative and insightful on how to use the various models at our disposal to take optimal decision. Also, was nostalgic to go back in time where these models were part of my university degree.

YK
Apr 6, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

376 - 394 of 394 Reviews for Model Thinking

Mar 21, 2016

great

By Mahmudul H

Jun 27, 2018

good

By Luiz C d P W F

Apr 4, 2017

Mar 7, 2016

S

By Jaafar A

Sep 14, 2020

Overall a very good course in terms of covering a broad range of topics. Suitable as a foundation to go onto to do more specialized courses in various parts of modelling. Some of the mathematical and quantitative methods could be better explained with more structured processes and formulae. For the learner that isn't familiar with these methodologies, some specific background reading on how best to approach the math would have been very useful. Having said that, well done to the lecturer and the rest of the staff and course organizers who tried their best to cover what are some quite complicated concepts.

By Andrey B S

Sep 23, 2020

A pesar de que la materia es bellísima y desafiante. Le curso es extremadamente demandante de tiempo. Las evaluaciones son un total de 12 y son muy difíciles. Creo que la evaluaciones tienen una curva de dificulta que no es equivalente a lo visto en clase, lo cual termina provocando frustración y deserción entre los estudiantes.

By wolfje v d

Nov 22, 2020

The course is pretty comprehensive and covers a lot of ground, but the speed is too fast if you do not have a pretty good grasp of math/statistics. For me this course is un-doable without it. I'm going to take a statistics class first. I might enroll again after I've done just that.

By Milady M

Mar 6, 2017

i would like to see some subtitles in Spanish, to help me understand much better the main idea ! but in generally is so good and helpful!

By Hoong W L

Oct 23, 2016

It is interesting and mind opening during the beginning and the middle of the course. Learned some interesting principle.

By Yechen H

Oct 13, 2020

As a person who has a fair amount of Computer Science Education especially in the Artificial Intelligence area, I DO NOT recommend this course to someone with a similar background as I do. This course introduces several common models which a typical engineering/science student will encounter in her/his first two years of college study. The professor basically touches every model without much deep insights into how they might be practically applied to everyday choices/decisions. If you really want to Learn some Models, I would recommend the "Machine Learning" course here by Andrew Ng!

By Eli M

Mar 14, 2016

There have been some undesirable references to equations, in terms of equating modeling to economic growth and investment. I was interested by the syllabus and its outline of theories and the means to use models to study social sciences and systems sciences. After week 1, though, it was not a very interesting course so I considered trying to simply survey most of the videos to gain some more information, not necessarily for any more insight from the Professor from the University of Michigan.

By barry f

Aug 18, 2020

Interesting topic but poor lecture method. Abandoned the course because lecturer difficult to follow

May 4, 2020

The teacher's use of crutch words like sort of, like, and you know was distracting. Count how many times he says sort of! It's ironic for a university professor. But this is the United States, the land of substandard education - where everyone is special and receives a medal for participation.

By Ryan K

Feb 14, 2017

Cons:

-Too dated - links to many of the materials are unavailable.

-Instructors knowledge of some the models he cover is questionable (regression)

Pros:

-Covers a lot of materials

By Maryam s s O A