Back to Music and Social Action

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Music and Social Action by Yale University

What is a musician’s response to the condition of the world? Do musicians have an obligation and an opportunity to serve the needs of the world with their musicianship? At a time of crisis for the classical music profession, with a changing commercial landscape, a shrinking audience base, and a contraction in the number of professional orchestras, how does a young musician construct a career today? Are we looking at a dying art form or a moment of reinvigoration? In this course we will develop a response to these questions, and we will explore the notion that the classical musician, the artist, is an important public figure with a critical role to play in society. The course will include inquiry into a set of ideas in philosophy of aesthetics; a discussion about freedom, civil society, and ways that art can play a role in readying people for democracy; discussion on philosophy of education as it relates to the question of positive social change; and an exploration of musical and artistic initiatives that have been particularly focused on a positive social impact. Guiding questions for this course inquiry will include: - How can classical music effect social change? - How has music made positive change in communities around the globe? - What can the field of classical music learn from other movements for social change? - How have educators and philosophers thought about the arts and their connection to daily contemporary life? Each class will explore one critical question through lectures, discussions, interviews, or documentaries....

DO
Mar 14, 2018

This is exactly what I needed. I have upgraded from just having a passion for music to having a passion for what music can do to the society. I am a better leader. Thank you YALE, thank you Coursera!

HC
Jul 15, 2020

It's an amazing course!\n\nIf you really wanna improve your knowledge as Musicians or Artists and power's action in your community, you need to enroll in this course.

26 - 50 of 53 Reviews for Music and Social Action

By VALERIA B

Jun 5, 2020

I thought the course was great!. I enjoyed all the lectures and videos, and hope to meet professor Sebastian personally some day.

By Estelle N

Jun 13, 2020

A course that helped me refresh and affirm my intentions and motivations to continue pursuing music as a mode to social action.

By Sonja I

This course has given me so much more than I had ever hoped for! A true eye-opener for anyone who is involved in the arts!

By Amber W

May 14, 2020

Love this class very much interactive with students and Teacher, and I will take this learning experience with forever!!

By Jelena D

Jul 21, 2020

I’ve had the opportunity to hear great things about how human creativity can move society toward progress.

By Gena V

May 2, 2016

I am glad to have this course as it really makes me feel happy and teaches me more things I wanna know.

By Erick M

Jul 30, 2020

Excellent and complete!

I learned so much and have new perspectives and new wide thinking.

Thanks.

By Maria G

Aug 17, 2020

The multimedia material explored in the course was excellent! I really enjoyed this course.

By Elena P

Feb 5, 2017

I would prefer except from the peer-view assignments, that a teacher could view them also.

By Arturo I R J

Jul 31, 2020

Great course! I feel motivated and engaged with all the themes of the course

By Felipe V R

Jul 21, 2016

Yale is the Best! really! my dream is study there! oh capitalism... =)

By Joaquín V M

Feb 17, 2021

A fantastic course and good coordination!

By Bart S

Mar 18, 2016

outstanding and thought provoking

By Nguyen K N

Oct 4, 2019

This is very thought-provoking.

By Ayu

Apr 28, 2020

Remarkable

By Adrian B C G

Jun 4, 2019

The course was very interesting and had a lot of interesting insights. The problem was that a lot of the reading material was very difficult to get, if not impossible, so I felt that I missed a part of what I could've learned. Other than that I really enjoyed it.

By Katerina S

May 30, 2018

Very interesting course. I would like to point out that some material is not accessible for international learners, like me. Appart from that it is a balanced course, with a lot of food for thought.

By Education J

May 3, 2016

there wasn't' much classroom discussion lead by staff/or mentors. having more then two people peer-review would be ideal. readings were not easily accessible.

By Tan K L G

Oct 31, 2020

This course is a little confusing, as it is not just music but also art. As well as the relation of Social Action (political expects).

By AKHILA A

Jul 4, 2020

I really enjoyed completing this course.

By Sharita H

Apr 17, 2017

I

By Joan E F

Jan 3, 2017

This course is mis-titled. There is very little music involved and a lot of social action. The discussions and videos are interesting, buy I am confused about the use of "music" to carry the course's agenda. Perhaps "The Influence of the Arts on Social Action" would better define the intent of the course.

By Veda R

Feb 29, 2016

I think that this course has wonderful material, however, I think that more than 2 people should be required to peer review the assignments so it is a balanced grade. In my other classes, at least 5 reviewers are required to review each individual assignment.