Back to Creating Sounds for Electronic Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creating Sounds for Electronic Music by Berklee College of Music

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course*, you will create sounds and use them in your own musical compositions. Whether you're an aspiring producer, composer, or hobbyist, this course will help you gain skills in music production and confidence using software synthesizers. Along with your classmates, you will create a massive database of designed sounds, or patches, to use in your compositions. As part of the course, you will work with a free version of FXpansion Strobe 2. What you’ll need to get started: This course is designed for learners who are familiar with music production basics, and who have access to some basic music production equipment. Specifically, you should have experience with a digital audio workstation that supports VST, AAX, or AU plugins (Introduction to Music Production or Pro Tools Basics are recommended if you do not have this experience). You will also need a MIDI keyboard or controller (such as an oxygen 8), a digital audio workstation, such as Pro Tools, and FXpansion Strobe 2 (a free 90-day demo will be provided for Coursera learners in this course). *About Project-Centered Courses: This is a ‘project-centered course’, which means it is designed specifically to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

KK
Sep 25, 2020

I really like this course. It was very useful to me and allowed me to improve my music making.I have come to know a lot more about using a synthesizer.Thank you all teachers for creating this course.

LL
Jan 8, 2018

I was pleased with this course. Loudon looked a lot Younger. At first I was critical of the synth (Strobe 2) and of the Course Style But I was impressed by Other Students. Thanks Loudon - Le

51 - 65 of 65 Reviews for Creating Sounds for Electronic Music

By Barend

Mar 31, 2016

Nice course! The teaching is excellent (5 stars), and I have learned a lot in this course. It is short but intensive.

I initially planned to give only 2 or 3 stars because of several reasons, described below. But in the end I like the course a lot so I don't want to go too low.

Reasons are:

1) Strobe, the software synth required in the course, was hardly usable (crashing always in 64 bit mode, sometimes in 32 bit mode). Several applicants stopped the course because of this. However this was (at least for me) solved during the course (I can use it now without any problems). So that is great (but a bit late).

2) The course is (as of March 2016) new and still contains many errors. The videos, as said, are excellent. But the assignments are often wrong and not accurate (actually 4 out of 4 contain errors...). In the first assignment you are asked to list favorites in 14 categories, but there are only 13. So you can never get the full points, or the reviewers should be flexible. In many of the following assignments the naming of the to be uploaded files is unclear or erroneous. It is important to fix that because reviewers are explicitly asked if the names are correct. In the third assignment it is worse, there is no room for an upload of the MP3, the final product of your whole week work which should be judged. One error was fixed during the course but in a hasty way, the most important errors are still there. Anyway, that will hopefully be fixed before the next cycle starts.

3) The course is really targetted to House (or at least Dance) music. All assignments should follow a predescribed form, while I (as an amateur classical pianist) would like to create pieces not following that form, but still using synth sounds. But if you do that, you get less points or do not pass the assignments. So that is too strict (in my opinion).

4) Strobe2 is central in the course. It is mainly educating for Strobe2. I tried after the course to apply the knowlegde to other synth plugins, which is possible but only in a limited way. You really learn how to do it in Strobe2, and there is no education for other synth plugins. Many concepts cannot easily be transferred. That is different from Loudon's excellent course Music Production, which was designed to be software independent.

So I have several objections to the course. But some of them can be fixed, and it was still a great course, I learned a lot and I enjoyed it, and I give it 4 stars.

By Phillip C

Feb 6, 2018

Overall, the course was useful as an introduction to synthesizers. It moved a bit too fast. A lesson or two on the front end focuised on the synthesizer design and technical aspects would be helpful.

By Wesley P

Oct 1, 2016

Well-balanced approach to basic synthesizer patches, along with a good portion of composition and arrangement. Highly recommended.

By Jose D B M

Mar 23, 2016

Excelente curso, lastima no poder subir los trabajos para calificación

By Louis v d S

May 23, 2016

Very informative introduction to sound creation.

By Nathalie D M

Jul 22, 2016

A great course which feels way too short.

By Daniel A C V

Jul 11, 2017

Is basic, but i learn a lot

By Miguel A V

Mar 24, 2016

Very Good

By Robert J

Feb 22, 2018

Good as a introduction but too simple for me- only really a beginner level I would say. But explained very well and goes over definitions and how sounds are created well!

By Illona M

Apr 23, 2016

basic knowledge about synthesis that you get anywhere on the net.

By Andrew S

Aug 14, 2016

I understand that this is a project centered course, however I do not feel like I walked away with a solid foundation of what goes into creating synthesizer sounds. Sure I learned that I can change parameters within a synthesis program and thereby get various sounds, but that's about all. I was expecting to gain fundamental understanding of the various parameters and what they really do and a more solid understanding of the process of creating custom patches rather then following an example and subsequently making minor adjustments so that it fits my style.

By Norbert P

Jun 21, 2020

The course material and the lesson modules provided by berklee is absolutely worth it.

However the peer-grading system pretty much collapses on this one.

The number of compulsory reviews should at least be two or three to catch up with all the submissions waiting to be reviewed. Now, many students are waiting for weeks for their submissions to be reviewed.

Depending on the submission, the reviewing process, if taken seriously, is a very, very challenging chore.

IMHO, the course -at least for the stripped-down Coursera version- is up to an overhaul.

By Chris R

Jan 7, 2018

The videos are poorly edited, with jump takes every 2 seconds, which is quite dizzying. the whole course is complete fluff. the videos take upwards of 10 minutes to convey 2 minutes of information. infographics dont include ADSR settings. the Official Facebook page for the course, which is supposed to be for discussion is full of people using it for self promotion, including the page admin. that is just wrong on so many levels. I'm glad I chose the free audit option, instead of paying fifty bucks because it appears the only tangible benefit (if you can call it that) is that your projects can be graded by people whose only qualification is that they also got suckered out of fifty bucks. Hello...I can post my projects to anywhere on the internet and just ask for feedback. All in all, this course has caused me to particularly lose faith in Berklee, but also in Coursera and online education as a whole.