Back to Origins - Formation of the Universe, Solar System, Earth and Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Origins - Formation of the Universe, Solar System, Earth and Life by University of Copenhagen

The Origins course tracks the origin of all things – from the Big Bang to the origin of the Solar System and the Earth. The course follows the evolution of life on our planet through deep geological time to present life forms....

AP
Aug 26, 2020

I,Adike Shambhuprasad learnt a lot in thiscoursera course. From formation of Universe,Solar system to origin of life and extinction of many species is very interesting.Thanks to all faculty members.

MN
Aug 28, 2018

The course help me discover answers to so many questions I had in mind and discover so many more. It made me realize how little I know about life itself and how precious life on earth is.

101 - 125 of 147 Reviews for Origins - Formation of the Universe, Solar System, Earth and Life

By Garri-Lee L

Dec 10, 2017

Is great

By Mona A A

Jul 4, 2020

GOOD

By Md. I M

Jun 13, 2020

Jan 15, 2016

w

By Ana M

Nov 6, 2020

Great course for intermediate or beginner with prior experience, with some advanced concepts included. Presented in an easy to understand and follow format, most of the information is picked up easily with visual presentations and little supplementary reading, but, for the person who absorbs information in text there is enough information provided this way as well...The lectures are great, a couple of the lecturers have accents which can be difficult to understand if you are not that way inclined, but there are real time transcripts which are adequate, the player can be stopped, paused, rewind, read-out-loud etc, and a section for easy note-taking also. Not my preferred method of learning as I cant ask the lecturer any questions (typical of lectures I've attended in person anyway) and there is no tutorial classes-but the discussion board and recommended reading plus using my brain, doing extra research for more details etc does suffice. The other thing I'm not sure if I like or not, is the nature of the examination. I love the questions embedded in the lectures, this is a fantastic way to reinforce information recall etc, but to not be able to present reasoning for an answer is very frustrating, and with up-dated information and differences in wording or grammar styles between countries as well as the various cultures of learning , this can be a little annoying, but not enough to ruin my thorough enjoyment of the course.

By Philip M

Apr 12, 2016

This was an interesting and enjoyable course. The content was wide and varied. On the whole the lectures were well supported by videos and associated charts and tables..

However, I found that one or two of the lecturers', though they tried gamely, were a little unfamiliar with English. I fully understand that almost all of these people do not have English as a first (or second) language and admire their competence. If the transcripts had been corrected so that they more accurately reflected what the speaker was trying to say rather than what was actually said, I feel that would be a help. In spite of this, I would recommend this course to my friends and family.

By Daniel S

Sep 8, 2016

This course is almost outstanding. Half of the presentations are top-notch reviews of the relevant highlights of their subject matter. Half of the rest are logical, but somewhat perfunctory reviews of similar sets of highlights, and finally, the other quarter are sadly hampered by having no visible organization, with delivery that could only have been improved by rehearsing the narrations a couple of times before the lecture was videotaped. I give most praise to presenters Connelly, Pope, Eibye-Jacobsen, Sørensen, Cuny, and Dahl. These lectures alone make the course eminently worthwhile.

By Bethany B

Sep 4, 2016

I enjoyed this course immensely! I was a bit hesitant due to its length, however, the content was usually manageable and mostly interesting. A couple of the weeks, the lectures are quite lengthy and dense while others were a bit dry. Also, I think the week about bacteria could use a little more explanation. I feel as though I didn't really understand those concepts until watching that week's as well as the next week's lectures. Finally, the quiz questions for the third to last week were a bit confusing and didn't match well to what the instructors actually said.

By Ildiko Z

Jul 24, 2016

Thank you so much for this course, I really enjoyed it!

I only gave 4 stars because sometimes it is really hard to understand, especially key words (I am not talking about the accent but the group and family latin names, etc); I constantly had to check the subtitles for these.

To be honest I wasn't expecting this content after reading the course title, but it was nice to see evolution from this point of view, great job!

By Rice H

Oct 18, 2017

Enjoyed course. Was not what I expected from the name of the course but I enjoyed it anyway. Found climate information interesting. Instructors English was generally correct, however I found some hard to understand because of enunciation issues. PS: I am a retired electronics engineer with an advanced degree who is interested in how everything works.

Would have given you 5 stars except for the enunciation issue.

By Deyan C

May 10, 2019

A wonderful and informative course! I learned about evolution from a lot of different perspectives and fields of science! There were a few points where I wish things had been explained a bit more slowly/carefully/thoroughly, but otherwise I had a very good experience.

By Ramsay

Nov 3, 2020

Seemed to diverge from the original premise in week twelve with the evolution and radiation of bird species. The development of life forms that resulted in Homo (X) seem to have been skated over rather quickly. But over all I have learnt a lot.

By Evgueni G

Jul 21, 2016

Really informative course, the reason why I rated 4/5 is because the lecturers read much too often from the teleprompter. Obviously they all know the material very well but reading it off a screen doesn't feel very natural.

By mario a

Jun 10, 2017

Excellent program (5 stars). But most teachers were clearly reading a script, with little or no graphic information, which made retaining the information practically impossible (2-3 stars).