Back to Philosophy of Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy of Science by University of Pennsylvania

For the last four centuries, scientists have aimed to provide us with an understanding of the world around us. By all appearances, science has made substantial progress during this time. But is this progress real or illusory? And if it is real, how has this progress been made? This four-week course will consider these important questions. Specific topics will include how scientists generate knowledge through observations, experiments, and simulations; scientific objectivity and failures of scientific objectivity; the self-correcting nature of the scientific community; the positive and negative influences that values can have on science; the relationship between science and religion; and the role of the public in guiding the scientific enterprise....

SB
Feb 19, 2020

Interesting information, well presented. The course gave me new ways of looking at scientific studies and research that will, I believe, make me a more sophisticated consumer of science reporting.

JS
Feb 26, 2020

This course opened me up to all sorts of perspectives and ideas that I never thought about. I was unaware of the field of the philosophy of science. I really appreciated the exposure!

26 - 43 of 43 Reviews for Philosophy of Science

By Keith S A

Mar 6, 2020

Great job! Very good, but just not nearly long enough!

By bassam1010

Jun 26, 2020

An excellent crash course in the philosophy of science

By Viv R

Jan 25, 2021

I'd recommend this course to any scientist.

By Richard D V

Aug 18, 2020

This is a great course in Science. Thanks.

By Xiomara N

May 5, 2020

I loved this course and all the material.

By Philip W

Feb 27, 2020

i am looking forward to more training!

By Laura G

Very interesting. I loved to do it.

By Charlotte d V

Feb 27, 2020

Thank you!

By Edgar H C L

Sep 12, 2020

Excellent

By Harris C

Feb 29, 2020

Well structured course, Prof. Weisberg's videos were clear, articulate, Vanessa of the teaching staff was very supportive, encouraging, and engaged in participants' comments. I wish there could have been some opportunity to contrast other lines of inquiry about the world in which we live, broadly speaking "the arts," which I think could help us better understand the inquiry about the "the sciences." To carry this a bit further, the legal system has elements of the scientific inquiry (e.g., "peer review" via jury, rules of evidence, cross examination) yet it isn't, and perhaps shouldn't be "scientific. And what are the structure and rules of inquiry in a subject such as history that allow "truth" to be discovered? I present these points also to indicate that this course got me thinking.

By Lauri E

Jul 20, 2020

The course was very well done: the lectures were coherent, concise, and well articulated, the readings were interesting but easy to grasp. Perhaps the quizzes were a bit too easy, and in a weird way detailed, asking about very small specifics at times. Naturally, a course like this can only scratch the surface of the topic, but at least I feel I myself got some new tools to dig deeper into the world of philosophy of science.

By Paul T

Mar 1, 2020

I found the material of the course very interesting as I have a background in physics and astronomy. The discussion on bias and methods for reducing it was well done.

I did have difficulty navigating the course material at times. It did not feel very intuitive to me, but I caught on after a while.

Thanks you for an over-all good experience.

By Arun V

Feb 26, 2021

This was a very brief overview of a few key concepts in the philosophy of science. However, the course doesn't go into any significant detail at all. It has nonetheless whetted my appetite for further reading on the topic, to which there is no substitute in philosophy.

By Sophie A

May 16, 2020

Great for scientist who are new to philosophy. The lecturer is fantastic, he's very inspiring and successfully inspires you to read and learn more about philosophy. Be prepared to begin questioning everything you hold as true.

By Broney J

Jul 11, 2020

Gives clear insight into "What science is... and how it is done by scientists", if you have a tendency to criticize the scientific methods, I would recommend this course.

By Masoud H A

Nov 17, 2020

Enjoyed doing the course and certainly have learned a few principles related to the Philosophy of Science.

By James W M

Feb 21, 2020

Very intellectually stimulating considering the relatively few hours involved.

Tough quizes!

By Victoria F

Oct 20, 2020

a good course for undergrad students, well put together and entertaining.