Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

LT
Sep 1, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

SF
Jun 27, 2020

It is an excellent course for anyone who is interested in knowing more about philosophy and philosophical questions. The lectures are short and very informative! I would highly recommend this course.

351 - 375 of 1,725 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By Richard E

Aug 26, 2015

very interesting, much to learn, readily understandable, taught in such manner that a first year undergraduate can absorb, all science students should take this class

By Freddy J M R

Sep 24, 2020

It was an interesting introduction to philosophy and it helped me review a lot of basic terminology I've seen during my informal training in this beautiful discipline.

By David B

Aug 25, 2020

This was an outstanding introduction to Philosophy. The lectures were relatively easy to follow with many practical examples and a wide variety of topics was covered.

By Sim C

Oct 15, 2019

Interesting, lots of reading, really need to think hard, reflecting myself. This is a good start and is laying good foundation for further learning Philosophy. Thanks.

By Neid M R

Feb 18, 2019

Excelente curso. Muchas gracias, me encantó porque me permitió ampliar los horizontes del análisis. Además el material proporcionado es abundante y muy complementario.

By David G

Dec 28, 2020

Excellent introduction to philosophical concepts. I enjoyed the learning experience and the enthusiasm of all of the professors. Thanks so much for a job well done.

By Sarthak D

Aug 25, 2020

This course certainly makes you think and question a lot about our lives. The amount of knowledge and fun in this course makes it one you should definitely enroll in.

By CHENTOUF M

May 23, 2020

I do really enjoyed taking this course. It was very informative and the content was displayed in a creative way while the discussions provided different perspectives.

By Simon O R

Dec 11, 2018

The Time frame is great to keep you active. This is very important to put sufficient enerdy into the course. It is well-made, lively, and very profitable. Thank you!

By Andrew U

Jun 19, 2016

This is an outstanding introduction to Philosophy. Each element is a short overview at beginner level and yet addresses the fundamental debates in each area covered.

By Keren T

Oct 29, 2015

It is a good course with great content. The professors are well prepared and share their knowledge in an easy way so that everyone can understand their explanations.

By Lucia E D

Apr 9, 2018

Excelente curso muy buenas las exposiciones de los distintos profesores, y muy interesante su contenido, muchísimas gracias por haberme dejado participar del mismo.

By Andrés A B

Sep 28, 2017

I loved the course, every topic was amazingly interesting, I loved the first week and the third week, both aspect moved me forward to learn more about those topics.

By C.O. S

Aug 13, 2019

A very informative introduction to the field of philosophy, curated by enthusiastic lectures, who explain each topic in a nicely structured and accessible fashion.

By Odair C J

Mar 12, 2019

It is a really good introduction, focusing on the big questions and incentiving the students to think for themselves about these questions since the first lesson.

By Christopher B

Jul 3, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I would recommend it to anyone who wanted to get an overview of major trends in philosophical thinking. Well presented resources.

By Ramon S

Sep 18, 2020

Excelente curso introductorio, me permitió acercarme a temas interesantes del apasionante mundo de la Filosofía. Felicitaciones a los profesores y la universidad.

By Krishna R

As the title suggests it really does introduce you you to a lot of interesting branches of philosophy, as well as a lot of philosophical thinkers.A great start!!!

By Phillip B

Oct 22, 2015

Fantastic introductory course to Philosophy. It really expands your thinking and methodologies relating to wisdom and knowledge. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you.

By PATRICK M

May 4, 2020

I'm so glad that I committed to this course, and finished it. Very enlightening and a solid base to build upon. Thanks Cousera and The University of Edinburgh!

By Orla D

Feb 6, 2021

Fantastic course, I knew nothing about philosophy going in but the lectures were presented smoothly and were easy to understand. I cannot recommend this enough.

By Pranshu B

Aug 6, 2020

This is an excellent course . I m from medical background from India and the education was not so open 20 years back; I finally got to do a course on philosophy

By Valeria V

Oct 27, 2018

Este curso lo recomendaría, la información es completa y entretenida.

A pesar de estudiar otra carrera "ING informática" pude comprender cada uno de los temas .

By Pascal K

Jun 12, 2020

I highly enjoyed this course and the variety of professors that each explained their view and topic related to philosophy. Will recommend this course to ohers!

By Maria T

May 12, 2020

A very interesting approach - presents both obvious and interesting, niche topics and problems of philosophy, making this course appealing to a broad audience.